OtherGround Forums Soccer officially dead in the US

10/14/17 2:44 AM
7/8/13
RenzoStudent2004 -
bewl - It's culture and tradition more than anything that keeps soccer as a global sport. It's been engrained into society for a long time, even before America really found any sort of a homogeneous society of it's own.

Its also poverty. Its one of the few sports that even the dirt poor in africa or south america can play by making a ball out of anything they have on hand, put two objects x feet apart to create the goal, and there you go.

This is so stupid and false. The same thing could be said about literally any sport except for maybe ice hockey. With soccer, the ball still has to at least be able to somewhat roll. You can literally play football with any fucking object you want. i can just as easily hut hut hike a rock or a water bottle or a damn roll of toilet paper the same as I can a oblong spheroid. Your argument is weak and retarded.

10/14/17 5:03 AM
11/20/10
borgrisar - once again I really don't see why people are fixated on this men's team

female soccer team is kicking ass and taking names in world cup time after time and producing great games

shame that people care more about our failing male team then they do about our awesome female team, really goes to show how things still need to progress in our society

go usa

Unless they're A) hot and B) practically naked, fuck womens sports.

Edited: 10/14/17 5:11 AM
11/20/10
PeteyWheatstraw - The entertainment value just isn't there so don't act like it is. Nothing in soccer measures up to Aaron Rodgers on that last drive against Dallas last week or Andre Dawson's MVP year with the Chicago Cubs.

Opinion.I think its the complete opposite way round. I followed the NFL on and off for like 3-4 years and it rarely came close to the excitment of the average Premier League weekend. 

10/14/17 5:16 AM
8/16/11
Teenage Mutant Lesnar Turtle -
PeteyWheatstraw - The entertainment value just isn't there so don't act like it is. Nothing in soccer measures up to Aaron Rodgers on that last drive against Dallas last week or Andre Dawson's MVP year with the Chicago Cubs.

Opinion.I think its the complete opposite way round. I followed the NFL on and off for like 3-4 years and it rarely came close to the excitment of the average Premier League weekend. 

hahhahahhahahhahahaaaaa

10/14/17 5:23 AM
11/20/10
Donkey Hotee -

hahhahahhahahhahahaaaaa

Whats funny breh?

10/14/17 5:52 AM
12/16/11
Donkey Hotee -

hahhahahhahahhahahaaaaa

Whats funny breh?

People like what they know and for some reason you are on a mission to prove soccer is better than American sports.

Americans just have options as kids and we gravitate to other sports before soccer. We have been exposed to soccer, its been force fed to us and we still think its boring as fuck.

Edited: 10/14/17 6:05 AM
11/20/10
trobinson21 -
Donkey Hotee -

hahhahahhahahhahahaaaaa

Whats funny breh?

People like what they know and for some reason you are on a mission to prove soccer is better than American sports.

Americans just have options as kids and we gravitate to other sports before soccer. We have been exposed to soccer, its been force fed to us and we still think its boring as fuck.

Uh what? I was responding to someone saying soccer doesnt compare with American football or baseball for entertainment value. Are you meaning to quote someone else or are you just retarded?

10/14/17 6:12 AM
12/16/11
trobinson21 -
Donkey Hotee -

hahhahahhahahhahahaaaaa

Whats funny breh?

Uh what? I was responding to someone saying soccer doesnt compare with American football or baseball for entertainment value. Are you meaning to quote someone else or are you just retarded?

Lol its a thread about soccer and you asked him what he was laughing at, instead of telling you that everyone is laughing at you and foreigners in general who think soccer is more entertaining than any American sport, I tried to help you but you are one miserable dude, I hope you take some time away from your soccer arguing and find something to make you smile this weekend, pussy.

10/14/17 6:17 AM
11/20/10

No wonder everyone keeps saying youre a shitty poster. Youve got nothing of value to add and your posts barely even relate to the topic of the thread.

10/14/17 7:18 AM
1/1/01

I think it honestly the way sports are treated in this country. The early use of "elite" team as early as 8 years old is killing sports. Adults take these kids and divide them in to teams based on "talent", which mostly based on actual small step of development earlier (some articles I've read say based on small age difference).  Take these kids and give them the "better" coaching. The lesser kids get worse and worse coaching so they aren't getting the training they need. 

Add s to this that kids are being forced out of other sports to be on these elite team year round (which are money grabs by these others organizations). They basically aren't learning and developing like they should. Many get burned out and quit. Others at 10-12 are sick of being labeled as a lesser quality and quit too. This is before the body has time to develop. 

Youth sports in the us is so fucking wrong!  The goal is to build a team to win at the age of 10, not build and grow  

Add to this, much of the world is head and shoulders ahead of the us in training from youth to elite level. As advanced as we pretend we are, it's not true. 

10/14/17 7:36 AM
10/25/14

Wow, these threads appear on the OG every few months, I read all the posts, good for a laugh. This topic will get brought up again and again and the same people will argue with the same people and a few newer people, all thinking their next post will change everyone’s mind.

It is a pity that the US missed out on the WC. Hate to be in Fox’s position having just bought the rights to air in the US for $400mil. Lol. Won’t be as big a return as they hoped.

I love soccer as much as the next guy. Growing up in Australia AFL, League and Rugby were all more popular. I like AFL, amazing game. Love watching international Union it is a true battle. Don’t watch league...love State of Origin living in Qld, but the rest of it is a waste of time.

That said none of them come close to soccer for me. The state of the game in Australia is at a low at the moment. Like the US we have too big a mountain to climb to be anyway near comptetitve to the Euro leagues.

Man U vs Liverpool about to start. Massive derby and good showcase for the game, haters give it a shot, if you are open minded it might change it.

10/14/17 11:02 PM
6/26/16
gregbrady - 
borgrisar - once again I really don't see why people are fixated on this men's team

female soccer team is kicking ass and taking names in world cup time after time and producing great games

shame that people care more about our failing male team then they do about our awesome female team, really goes to show how things still need to progress in our society

go usa

our men's team that just missed out on the world Cup would annihalate our women's champion WC team by double digits. Why would I want to watch them play?

most heavyweights would annihilate connor mcgregor, yet people still watch him fight

see how dumb your logic is?
10/14/17 11:04 PM
6/26/16
mihow - 

go usa

nobody gives a fuck about women's sports

it's lesser in every way imaginable

actually I think female world cup final had better numbers than any of men's soccer team matches

so hopefully that is a sign of a change

kind of like of when ronda rousey became the most popular and most drawing ufc star, god that was awesome just to see all the whinging and whining from the 'nobody wants to watch female sports' brigade

hopefully that is recreated soon in other sports
10/14/17 11:10 PM
5/10/08
professor_rob - 

Wow, these threads appear on the OG every few months, I read all the posts, good for a laugh. This topic will get brought up again and again and the same people will argue with the same people and a few newer people, all thinking their next post will change everyone’s mind.

It is a pity that the US missed out on the WC. Hate to be in Fox’s position having just bought the rights to air in the US for $400mil. Lol. Won’t be as big a return as they hoped.

I love soccer as much as the next guy. Growing up in Australia AFL, League and Rugby were all more popular. I like AFL, amazing game. Love watching international Union it is a true battle. Don’t watch league...love State of Origin living in Qld, but the rest of it is a waste of time.

That said none of them come close to soccer for me. The state of the game in Australia is at a low at the moment. Like the US we have too big a mountain to climb to be anyway near comptetitve to the Euro leagues.

Man U vs Liverpool about to start. Massive derby and good showcase for the game, haters give it a shot, if you are open minded it might change it.

"Man U vs Liverpool about to start. Massive derby and good showcase for the game, haters give it a shot, if you are open minded it might change it."

I think you may have picked the wrong game bro.  Mourinho killed it.

10/15/17 12:50 AM
6/26/16
people are going to remember alex morgan, abby wambach, hope solo, carli lloyd, long before they forget these interchangeable forgettable male soccer 'stars'
10/15/17 11:27 PM
1/9/02
borgrisar -
gregbrady - 

go usa

our men's team that just missed out on the world Cup would annihalate our women's champion WC team by double digits. Why would I want to watch them play?

most heavyweights would annihilate connor mcgregor, yet people still watch him fight

see how dumb your logic is?

great!

Ill force myself to enjoy women's soccer now

10/15/17 11:28 PM
1/9/02

lol @ guilting someone into being entertained by something

10/15/17 11:39 PM
6/17/11

'hopefully that is recreated soon in other sports'

LOL

10/15/17 11:41 PM
12/7/06
borgrisar - people are going to remember alex morgan, abby wambach, hope solo, carli lloyd, long before they forget these interchangeable forgettable male soccer 'stars'

Yup, people really remember Hope Solo because of soccer....

10/16/17 12:06 AM
1/1/01
Does soccer even have cheerleaders?
Edited: 10/16/17 1:23 AM
7/8/13
trobinson21 -
Donkey Hotee -

hahhahahhahahhahahaaaaa

Whats funny breh?

It is better than American sports. Americans have roughly the attention span of a gnat, therefore they need a sports placebo telling them that one score is somehow worth 6 points, and as we all know, more points means more EXCITING!

take the marquee Sunday night game tonight. There was a grand total of 3 touchdowns scored. But the final score was somehow 23-10. POINTS POINTS POINTS!!!!!!

you fucking dolts, keep telling yourself what a barn burner that game was

10/16/17 1:16 AM
1/7/08
spjackson77 -
trobinson21 -
Donkey Hotee -

hahhahahhahahhahahaaaaa

Whats funny breh?

It is better than American sports. Americans have roughly the attention span of a gnat, therefore they need a sports placebo telling them that one score is somehow worth 6 points, and as we all know, more points means more EXCITING!

take the marquee Sunday night game tonight. There was a grand total of 2 touchdowns scored. But the final score was somehow 23-10. POINTS POINTS POINTS!!!!!!

you fucking dolts, keep telling yourself what a barn burner that game was

Low scoring = bad, mkay!

What you really want to see is a nice 114-86 game in basketball.  Those are always super exciting.

10/16/17 4:14 AM
7/30/14
No 1 cawkgobbler -
lionsoul -
professor_rob - 

"Man U vs Liverpool about to start. Massive derby and good showcase for the game, haters give it a shot, if you are open minded it might change it."

I think you may have picked the wrong game bro.  Mourinho killed it.

I watched that on SBS, holy shit was i bored.

Both coaches set up to avoid losing rather than trying to win which is why it was a shit game. The thing that makes Football (soccer) great is the players are given a lot of decision making responsibilities. Players will move out of position to make themselves available for the pass. With the spoiler tactics employed at the weekend, players stayed to position but were conscious of the counter attack. Instead of getting forward and trying to score, they were thinking 'if we lose the ball, my opposite number will get the better of me'. Really shit game to watch.

10/16/17 8:41 AM
9/9/12
I don't believe that the USA doesn't care about soccer. America had the most ticket sales for the 2014 World Cup outside Brazil.

They pump hundreds of millions of dollars into their soccer league every year.

Playing in CONACAF and missing the WC is a tragedy. This team had some damn good talent as well.
10/16/17 10:07 AM
2/5/05

Oh man ... remember when soccer was thriving and super popular in the US?

Me either.