OtherGround Forums Soccer officially dead in the US

10/16/17 10:07 AM
2/5/05

Oh man ... remember when soccer was thriving and super popular in the US?

Me either.

10/16/17 11:28 AM
1/9/02
Mexican Janitor - I don't believe that the USA doesn't care about soccer. America had the most ticket sales for the 2014 World Cup outside Brazil.

They pump hundreds of millions of dollars into their soccer league every year.

Playing in CONACAF and missing the WC is a tragedy. This team had some damn good talent as well.

we love the Olympics too

americans love international sporting competitions, not soccer

10/16/17 11:30 AM
1/9/02

ppl are going to have to figure out some other way to appeal to Americans with soccer other than the "strategy" of it. The strategy, depth and complexity of a soccer game doesn't even come close to football. It doesn't appeal to us on an intellectual level because it is so simple.

the skill angle is probably the best one. americans appreciate skill

10/16/17 12:19 PM
11/20/10
gregbrady -

ppl are going to have to figure out some other way to appeal to Americans with soccer other than the "strategy" of it. The strategy, depth and complexity of a soccer game doesn't even come close to football. It doesn't appeal to us on an intellectual level because it is so simple.

Basketball, hockey and Nascar are simple too.

I think it pretty much just comes down to it not being culturally entrenched in the US, at least not in a positive way. Its developed the reputation of being a Eurofag and illegal alien game thats played in the US by girls and kids. And because its called football its going to get unfavourably compared and contrasted with the no1 sport in the country, which in comparison is considered to be true blue American, manly and the polar opposite of faggy commie soccer.

Its hard to shake that perception. Especially when there arent many homegrown stars and the MLS isnt to soccer what the NFL, NBA, MLB etc are to their sports. 

Edited: 10/16/17 12:24 PM
7/26/07
Mexican Janitor - I don't believe that the USA doesn't care about soccer. America had the most ticket sales for the 2014 World Cup outside Brazil.

Playing in CONACAF and missing the WC is a tragedy. This team had some damn good talent as well.

Americans went to party in Brazil

Soccer was just an excuse

So many Americans "Care" about Soccer only during the World Cup, then don't give a shit for the next 3 years, just like all the international sports in the Olympics

10/16/17 1:26 PM
9/9/12
gregbrady -
Mexican Janitor - I don't believe that the USA doesn't care about soccer. America had the most ticket sales for the 2014 World Cup outside Brazil.

we love the Olympics too

americans love international sporting competitions, not soccer

Fair enough.
10/16/17 1:36 PM
1/7/08

If I were to list the top 100 soccer players in the world, how many Americans would be on that list?

I think that is what 'grinds [people's] gears'.   Sure, the NFL provides great action 10 seconds at a time.  But is the next 40 seconds really more boring than what you see in soccer?  Of course not. 

NFL is made for TV (commercials).  Soccer/football is made for live entertainment. 

If I watch an MLS game, and stop watching when there is a mistake made (technically) that would not be made at the highest level (in Europe), I would probably watch for 90 seconds or so.

10/16/17 5:55 PM
7/8/13
gregbrady -

yes, that's exactly what the typical meathead football fan loves about the game.....the strategy. Not the big men running into each other at full speed, it's the intricacies of the playbook. lol ok bro

Edited: 10/16/17 6:06 PM
12/28/04
gregbrady - 

lol @ Americans and intellectual in the same sentence. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying you are ALL stupid, but we are talking about the land of creationism here. As an nation you are full to the brim with knuckle--dragging morons...

"Only a minority of Americans fully accept evolution through natural selection. Roughly six-in-ten U.S. adults (62%) say humans have evolved over time, according to data from Pew Research Center’s Religious Landscape Study. But only a little more than half of them (33% of all Americans) express the belief that humans and other living things evolved solely due to natural processes. A quarter of U.S. adults (25%) say evolution was guided by a supreme being. The same survey found that 34% of Americans reject evolution entirely, saying humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time."

10/16/17 6:09 PM
5/16/16
IgnorantDeadline -
Squatdog - America clearly has inferior athletes.

Imagine every cornerback and 4.4 running halfback in college and the pros playing soccer.

Lol. Gg, world.

Yeah! it would be hilarious seeing them trying to run constantly for 45 minutes. They would be blowing out of there ass after 5 minutes without a rest. 

10/16/17 6:21 PM
6/26/16
gregbrady - 

lol @ guilting someone into being entertained by something

lol thinking that pointing out that female soccer world cup matches had better numbers than male team means somebody is trying to 'guilt' you into something

nobody gives a fuck what you or the rest of you rejects care about

I just hope that female soccer breaks out in mainstream the way ronda rousey did in mma, by kicking ass and taking names, that would be glorious
10/18/17 12:08 AM
1/9/02
spjackson77 -
gregbrady -

yes, that's exactly what the typical meathead football fan loves about the game.....the strategy. Not the big men running into each other at full speed, it's the intricacies of the playbook. lol ok bro

you can imagine whatever you want about football fans there buddy.

Its an amazing game and appeals to all types.

10/18/17 12:12 AM
1/9/02
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -
gregbrady - 

lol @ Americans and intellectual in the same sentence. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying you are ALL stupid, but we are talking about the land of creationism here. As an nation you are full to the brim with knuckle--dragging morons...

"Only a minority of Americans fully accept evolution through natural selection. Roughly six-in-ten U.S. adults (62%) say humans have evolved over time, according to data from Pew Research Center’s Religious Landscape Study. But only a little more than half of them (33% of all Americans) express the belief that humans and other living things evolved solely due to natural processes. A quarter of U.S. adults (25%) say evolution was guided by a supreme being. The same survey found that 34% of Americans reject evolution entirely, saying humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time."

has your country put a rover on mars?

come on Brock. You're a man of science. You know that's not a real study. They can manipulate those results anyway they want.

Edited: 10/18/17 4:27 AM
11/20/10
gregbrady -
spjackson77 -
gregbrady -

appeals to all types.

Yes, cucks, SJWs and people that hate America.

10/18/17 6:27 AM
12/28/04
gregbrady - 
gregbrady - 

has your country put a rover on mars?

come on Brock. You're a man of science. You know that's not a real study. They can manipulate those results anyway they want.

Like I said I am not saying all Americans are stupid, but you do have a lot of morons over there. Using your logic football should be the No1 sport! ;-)

10/18/17 9:50 AM
5/10/08
evil veiled - 

If I were to list the top 100 soccer players in the world, how many Americans would be on that list?

I think that is what 'grinds [people's] gears'.   Sure, the NFL provides great action 10 seconds at a time.  But is the next 40 seconds really more boring than what you see in soccer?  Of course not. 

NFL is made for TV (commercials).  Soccer/football is made for live entertainment. 

If I watch an MLS game, and stop watching when there is a mistake made (technically) that would not be made at the highest level (in Europe), I would probably watch for 90 seconds or so.

"If I were to list the top 100 soccer players in the world, how many Americans would be on that list?"

Maybe only 1 player - Christian Pulisic.

Certainly he would be the ONLY American in the Top 100 players in the World.  If you factor in all the positions, he might not be on that list at this point.

Sad but true.

10/18/17 11:17 AM
1/1/01
lionsoul - 
evil veiled - 

"If I were to list the top 100 soccer players in the world, how many Americans would be on that list?"

Certainly he would be the ONLY American in the Top 100 players in the World.  If you factor in all the positions, he might not be on that list at this point.

Sad but true.

Sounds about right, maybe before that you could add Donovan when he was playing with Everton...besides that...none.

With those stats...it is surprising the US Soccer team has been as successful as it has been the past 25 years.
10/18/17 3:48 PM
1/1/01
jman -
lionsoul - 
evil veiled - 

Sad but true.

Sounds about right, maybe before that you could add Donovan when he was playing with Everton...besides that...none.

With those stats...it is surprising the US Soccer team has been as successful as it has been the past 25 years.

Howard after 2012 World Cup and his time at Everton too, no?

10/18/17 3:57 PM
1/7/08

Pulisic might be the 90th best player in the world right now (but with tremendous upside).

Donovan at his peak was probably 150th best.  Howard...  Was probably a top 20 GK (worldwide), but that only puts him in the top 200 of all players.

Jermaine Jones told the story recently of a promising prospect, Jordan Morris, who got an offer from a German team, Werder Bremen.  But he turned it down because his parents and GF live in Seattle (and Seattle also offered him a contract)!

That about sums it up.

10/18/17 9:29 PM
1/9/02
Teenage Mutant Lesnar Turtle -
gregbrady -
spjackson77 -
gregbrady -

appeals to all types.

Yes, cucks, SJWs and people that hate America.

I said football not the NFL which, like FIFA, is full of out-of-touch, corrupt, billionaires and their minders

10/18/17 9:30 PM
1/9/02
jman -
lionsoul - 
evil veiled - 

Sad but true.

we're always overacheivers on the international scene. Thats waht makes team USA fun to watch

10/18/17 11:00 PM
7/1/17

OMG, soccers dead in the US?.......matt serra 

10/18/17 11:09 PM
4/3/08
jman - 
lionsoul - 
evil veiled - 

Sad but true.

Donovan was loaned to Everton a few times and made very little impact if any. Would be hard pressed to even put him in the top 100 of the English league during his two loan spells.
10/18/17 11:23 PM
5/10/08
Beninger - 
jman - 
lionsoul - 
evil veiled - 

Sad but true.

Donovan was loaned to Everton a few times and made very little impact if any. Would be hard pressed to even put him in the top 100 of the English league during his two loan spells.

Yeah... I wouldn't put Donovan (even at his peak) in the Top 100.

That said, Pulisic may not be in the Top 100 either.

That said... I think he definitely will be in the Top 50 in the next couple of years...

He has enough upside to eventually be Top 10 IMO.  But it would take another 5-6 years.

10/18/17 11:27 PM
6/17/11
gregbrady - 

it takes a real piece of shit to not understand the flaw in these types of studies.

You literally believe 1/3 of America rejects evolution because a survery study off of .000000001% of our population told you so.

I'd say you're an embarrassment, but you're english