OtherGround Forums Soccer officially dead in the US

10/31/17 9:56 PM
5/10/08

Was just watching the MLS playoffs tonight (NYCFC vs. Columbus).

I don't really follow the MLS (mostly follow La Liga and the EPL currently).

Anyhow - just stopped by to say that I couldn't believe the quality of play (or lack thereof) in the MLS.

It was actually quite shocking to me just how very poor the quality of play was.  I had heard that things had really improved in the US... it was just very disappointing.

If I were the coach on the US team, I would try to get every single American player to play in Europe.

The quality of play in the MLS is garbage IMO...

The biggest variables that were very noticeable were:

- quality of touch (guys don't seem to have touch)

- dribbling - guys lose the ball every time they try to make a dribble

- structure - it seems as though the coaching is lacking in a big way... you don't seem to see much in the way of tactical posturing.

11/1/17 12:30 AM
1/9/02

nobody follows the MLS. I think it has a bigger following of foreigners than Americans.

I have never met a real life person in the US that began a sentence with "Was just watching the MLS "

11/5/17 8:22 PM
1/1/01
pro soccer in the US is for washouts that can't cut it in popular sports like MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL, if they could they'd be pros in one of them and making real money instead of making jabroni money playing soccer.

Noted homosexual 'Ronaldo' is currently the world's highest-paid sportsman.

"jabroni money"
11/5/17 11:47 PM
1/9/02
Squatdog -
pro soccer in the US is for washouts that can't cut it in popular sports like MLB, NFL, NBA or NHL, if they could they'd be pros in one of them and making real money instead of making jabroni money playing soccer.

Noted homosexual 'Ronaldo' is currently the world's highest-paid sportsman.

"jabroni money"

that's great but he'll always have a void in his life because no one in America knows who he is

11/6/17 12:00 AM
1/1/01
So only 95% of the world's population will know who he is...as compared to an NFL 'star'(LOL!) who will only be known by 5%?
11/6/17 3:06 AM
11/20/10

American soccer players all grew up dreaming of being the next Jordan or Bo Jackson. But then one day at high school, dejected at having being told they are too shit, unathletic and faggy for the football and basketball team, they start kicking a soccer ball for the first time and settle for being a pro at that instead. 

Cold hard facts.  

11/6/17 1:20 PM
1/9/02

i love these threads so very much

11/6/17 1:36 PM
1/1/01
Americans need to stick to sports they're good at, like Padball and Women's Sabre.
11/6/17 1:46 PM
6/24/11
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

Anyhow - just stopped by to say that I couldn't believe the quality of play (or lack thereof) in the MLS.

It was actually quite shocking to me just how very poor the quality of play was.  I had heard that things had really improved in the US... it was just very disappointing.

If I were the coach on the US team, I would try to get every single American player to play in Europe.

- structure - it seems as though the coaching is lacking in a big way... you don't seem to see much in the way of tactical posturing.

Lol name one person who couldn’t cut it in one of those sports and then went to play soccer.  Every high school fitness test is dominated by soccer players.

11/6/17 1:49 PM
4/11/14
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

Lol name one person who couldn’t cut it in one of those sports and then went to play soccer.  Every high school fitness test is dominated by soccer players.

What "high school fitness test"?

11/6/17 1:50 PM
6/24/11
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

My high school gym class tested our fitness levels.  Did yours not?

11/6/17 1:52 PM
6/24/11

That’s it.  The presidential fitness test.

11/6/17 1:53 PM
1/7/08

Hey, I wonder if America's lack of passion (or humility) is a factor in the country being shit at soccer?

Nah, probably not.

11/6/17 1:54 PM
8/20/15
JasonJ -

The WNBA  has better athletes

Not surprising coming from you, but no. The soccer players from the MLS probably beat any women's team in basketball lol.
11/6/17 1:55 PM
4/11/14
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

Ya I was just making sure you were making up the statistics about "soccer players dominating"

and ya, you made it up lol

11/6/17 1:59 PM
6/24/11
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

Ya I was just making sure you were making up the statistics about "soccer players dominating"

Yeah I distinctly remember no one coming close to the soccer players.  No I didn’t go around and poll every high school in America.  We’ve all been around this block before.  You people are retards and soccer players are among the highest caliber athletes in the world.

11/6/17 2:03 PM
4/11/14
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

Yeah I distinctly remember no one coming close to the soccer players.  No I didn’t go around and poll every high school in America.  We’ve all been around this block before.  You people are retards and soccer players are among the highest caliber athletes in the world.

Not saying they aren't but I'm not making stuff up to support my biased point of view either.

Obviously high level soccer players worldwide are great athletes, but high school level soccer players in the US are not typically the cream of that school's athletic crop. 

11/6/17 2:05 PM
6/24/11
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

Not saying they aren't but I'm not making stuff up to support my biased point of view either.

Obviously high level soccer players worldwide are great athletes, but high school level soccer players in the US are not typically the cream of that school's athletic crop. 

Yeah usually just faster with better endurance and dexterity

11/6/17 2:11 PM
4/11/14
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

You are truly delusional lol

You are looking at the top soccer players in the world and then applying their attributes to high schoolers in the US.

US high school soccer is a third tier sport mostly played by the wealthier white kids who have no chance of starting in football, basketball, or baseball.

11/6/17 2:14 PM
5/19/17

Football (soccer) has nothing to do with fitness.  Fine - a base level of speed and endurance and some strength is required.  But football/soccer is a skill game.  Pure skill is what determines greatness in the sport.  Just like in MMA - when a Maia submits condit in seconds.  Or barboza knocks terry etim out with perfect timing.  Or like a musician playing perfectly.

Bill Shankley, the famous LIverpool manager of the 60's said ....."all players are 'born' - and anybody that tells you you can 'make' players is very, very stupid people".

Of course that is not entirely true.  But there is some truth in it.  Its talent or skill  which makes a player.  Not how fast you can run or how much you can lift or how hard you can kick the ball.  Its harder to define.  Its control, and balance, timing, accuracy, and creativity and awareness - its skill.   When a player is in the 'zone'  he is like a dancer,  doing everything just right.  In a free place.

That is why what comes out is often not just exciting, but beautful.

This game is a good example.  Barce v Man.u  game finishes 3-3 and every goal is a work of art.  Especially Rivaldo's overhead kick. (2 min video)

11/6/17 2:17 PM
4/11/14
DavidYorkshire -

Football (soccer) has nothing to do with fitness.  Fine - a base level of speed and endurance and some strength is required.  But football/soccer is a skill game.  Pure skill is what determines greatness in the sport.  Just like in MMA - when a Maia submits condit in seconds.  Or barboza knocks terry etim out with perfect timing.  Or like a musician playing perfectly.

Bill Shankley, the famous LIverpool manager of the 60's said ....."all players are 'born' - and anybody that tells you you can 'make' players is very, very stupid people".

Of course that is not entirely true.  But there is some truth in it.  Its talent or skill  which makes a player.  Not how fast you can run or how much you can lift or how hard you can kick the ball.  Its harder to define.  Its control, and balance, timing, accuracy, and creativity and awareness - its skill.   When a player is in the 'zone'  he is like a dancer,  doing everything just right.  In a free place.

This game is a good example.  Barce v Man.u  game finishes 3-3 and every goal is a work of art.  Especially Rivaldo's overhead kick. (2 min video)

The first sentence of your post is very idiotic...clearly soccer has "something" to do with fitness 

11/6/17 2:18 PM
1/2/15
Teenage Mutant Lesnar Turtle -

American soccer players all grew up dreaming of being the next Jordan or Bo Jackson. But then one day at high school, dejected at having being told they are too shit, unathletic and faggy for the football and basketball team, they start kicking a soccer ball for the first time and settle for being a pro at that instead. 

Cold hard facts.  

Somehow a man who can't run 5 miles without puking is an athlete

This is like the sjw version of sports
11/6/17 2:20 PM
1/7/08
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

You are looking at the top soccer players in the world and then applying their attributes to high schoolers in the US.

US high school soccer is a third tier sport mostly played by the wealthier white kids who have no chance of starting in football, basketball, or baseball.

Which comes first though, playing soccer, or having 'no chance of starting in football, basketball or baseball'.   Basketball and football are quite specialized, in terms of what physique and physical attributes are sought after.  For example, height and jumping, in basketball, or very often size in football (hence the trend of 'eating for size' that affects so many American teenagers).  So if you have good athleticism, but not great size or great leap, well, yeah, you can very easily be overlooked in football or basketball.

Baseball, just like football (NFL), is another prime example of America inventing its own sport rather than competing against the rest of the world in already existing sports (in this case cricket).

11/6/17 2:27 PM
4/11/14
evil veiled -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
Positive Energy -
ABCTT_WillD -
AnimeFrog -
lionsoul -

Which comes first though, playing soccer, or having 'no chance of starting in football, basketball or baseball'.   Basketball and football are quite specialized, in terms of what physique and physical attributes are sought after.  For example, height and jumping, in basketball, or very often size in football (hence the trend of 'eating for size' that affects so many American teenagers).  So if you have good athleticism, but not great size or great leap, well, yeah, you can very easily be overlooked in football or basketball.

Baseball, just like football (NFL), is another prime example of America inventing its own sport rather than competing against the rest of the world in already existing sports (in this case cricket).

Obviously an athletic whiz kid in other countries is likely to gravitate towards soccer because of potential money and prestige...I'm just saying this is not the case in the US

Soccer in US high schools still ranks below sports like track and wrestling in terms of prestige. about on par with something like tennis in prestige terms, a niche sport for wealthy white kids where most high schools have a couple good players but nobody cares or goes to the games.

(coming from #1 singles tennis player at my high school *humblebrag*)

11/6/17 2:34 PM
5/19/17
Positive Energy - 
DavidYorkshire -

The first sentence of your post is very idiotic...clearly soccer has "something" to do with fitness 

Yes then i went on to say some fitness is required.   Obviously there has to be a professional level of fitness.   But i mean what makes a good player is not ultimately about fitness.  There are plenty of people faster than ronaldo or messi, and stronger, more endurance.  Probably millions of people.  But those people cant make tens of millions of dollars per year as messi and ronaldo do.  Why?  Because its all about skill.  That is what is rare - and what people pay for.  And how do you determine who has what is valuble?  

https://www.forbes.com/athletes/#3ced4af255ae