OtherGround Forums Soccer officially dead in the US

10/11/17 8:08 AM
2/25/06
trobinson21 -
Teenage Mutant Lesnar Turtle -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -
Squatdog - America clearly has inferior athletes.

Imagine every cornerback and 4.4 running halfback in college and the pros playing soccer.

Lol. Gg, world.

My my...how has nobody thought of this yet? why arent soccer teams full of olympic track athletes?

Imagine an Offensive Lineman in goal too! he'd be so big that the ball couldnt even pass him!

Wait, you really don't understand that Americas best athletes play 4 sports before they get to soccer? Lol

Soccer is for kids whose moms won't let them play Pop Warner and girls.

What does this have to do with my post?

You seem unable to grasp the simple fact that Americans have money for sports equipment so our kids aren't stuck kicking a ball around for 90 minutes without any scoring, they can play real sports so "American" soccer players are our 5th worst athletes playing against the best athletes from other countries.

Im glad we lost, the pussification of America is in line with the growth of soccer, hopefully this curbs that some.

The thing is, even though many US athletic talents play other sports we still have a massive soccer talent pool. Most US high schools have soccer. We have Div 1 college soccer and then MLS. 

The talent is not the problem when facing trinidad tobago. Its the leadership and coaching.

10/11/17 8:09 AM
11/20/10
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Imagine every cornerback and 4.4 running halfback in college and the pros playing soccer.

Lol. Gg, world.

My my...how has nobody thought of this yet? why arent soccer teams full of olympic track athletes?

Imagine an Offensive Lineman in goal too! he'd be so big that the ball couldnt even pass him!

Wait, you really don't understand that Americas best athletes play 4 sports before they get to soccer? Lol

You seem unable to grasp the simple fact that Americans have money for sports equipment so our kids aren't stuck kicking a ball around for 90 minutes without any scoring, they can play real sports so "American" soccer players are our 5th worst athletes playing against the best athletes from other countries.

Im glad we lost, the pussification of America is in line with the growth of soccer, hopefully this curbs that some.

This still doesnt have anything to do with my post. And the rest of your "hur hur everyone else plays soccer because they're poor" argument is retarded and objectively false. You really think Europeans cant afford a plastic helmet, a bat or a basketball hoop? and that literally the only thing anyone ever has the opportunity to play in these countries is soccer? 

Also, attracting the most athletes is not the same as having the best athletes. 

It absolutely does, someone mentioned cornerbacks and running backs in the NFL, guys that are infinitely more athletic than the best soccer players in the world, and you replied sarcastically with your "track athlete" and offensive lineman takes.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world(numbers wise) because most of the world is poor and all you need is a ball.

The best athletes in the world are Americans and our best athletes play football first, then baseball and basketball, then hockey up North, then soccer.

In America, soccer is for the bottom 20% of athletes, women and small children age 4-6.

Soccer has a talent pool possibly bigger than the entire global pool of the big 4 sports in America combined, it also has the biggest and widest reaching scouting networks. If having the attributes of a running back or cornerback won games, teams would be full of guys like that by now. 

and no, once again, "best" and "most" are not the same. Athleticism is also heavily reliant on the physical requirements of the sport and the type of training regimes it employs. Soccer countries dont field their most athletic people, they field their best soccer players. This seems to be a huge misunderstanding that Americans who dont follow soccer have. The US team is athletically on par, they just arent as skilled or tactical as the top teams. 

"Its popular because its poor" holds no weight because there are tons of things that contradict it, like it being the no1 sport in a bunch of rich, highly developed nations.

"Its popular because furriners r fags" holds no weight, because plenty of nations where its popular also play violent sports like rugby, hockey, boxing etc. 

And of course you dropped the "Murica has the best athletes" line, i'm assuming you're going to go "LOOK AT THE OLYMPIC MEDAL COUNT" next too, right?

10/11/17 8:13 AM
2/5/13
OGT -
BrckNoHitBk -

When was it alive?  I guess Women soccer is or was alive, haven't heard anything about that lately.

This. Only major sport I'm aware of where the women are more popular and better than the men

I’m gonna have to stop you at “major sport” chooch. Thread is cracking me up.  Can we all just agree that soccer just isn’t for Americans but it is a cool sport requiring talent and athleticism.  It’s just never gonna be big or even remotely cared about in America - no matter what.   I wish Iceland the best of luck at the WC - I actually enjoy watching some WC matches.

10/11/17 8:20 AM
12/16/11
player101 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

The thing is, even though many US athletic talents play other sports we still have a massive soccer talent pool. Most US high schools have soccer. We have Div 1 college soccer and then MLS. 

The talent is not the problem when facing trinidad tobago. Its the leadership and coaching.

I agree we should be able to beat T&T in anything, but again, it goes to show you what we send to soccer, it does make a difference. For instance, the Dream Team didn't need a coach to beat the rest of the world 150-45, because they were the best of the best we had to offer on any level.

Just look at my sons classroom, football gets the best 5 athletes, baseball and basketball get the next 6-7 and soccer gets the girls and the leftovers, this is just a fact.

To pretend that doesn't make a difference is just short sighted.

10/11/17 8:21 AM
7/30/14
JohnJamesUrgayle -
OGT -
BrckNoHitBk -

When was it alive?  I guess Women soccer is or was alive, haven't heard anything about that lately.

This. Only major sport I'm aware of where the women are more popular and better than the men

I’m gonna have to stop you at “major sport” chooch. Thread is cracking me up.  Can we all just agree that soccer just isn’t for Americans but it is a cool sport requiring talent and athleticism.  It’s just never gonna be big or even remotely cared about in America - no matter what.   I wish Iceland the best of luck at the WC - I actually enjoy watching some WC matches.

I agree dude. If you can't be competitive what's the point.

10/11/17 8:28 AM
12/16/11
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

This still doesnt have anything to do with my post. And the rest of your "hur hur everyone else plays soccer because they're poor" argument is retarded and objectively false. You really think Europeans cant afford a plastic helmet, a bat or a basketball hoop? and that literally the only thing anyone ever has the opportunity to play in these countries is soccer? 

It absolutely does, someone mentioned cornerbacks and running backs in the NFL, guys that are infinitely more athletic than the best soccer players in the world, and you replied sarcastically with your "track athlete" and offensive lineman takes.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world(numbers wise) because most of the world is poor and all you need is a ball.

The best athletes in the world are Americans and our best athletes play football first, then baseball and basketball, then hockey up North, then soccer.

In America, soccer is for the bottom 20% of athletes, women and small children age 4-6.

Soccer has a talent pool possibly bigger than the entire global pool of the big 4 sports in America combined, it also has the biggest and widest reaching scouting networks. If having the attributes of a running back or cornerback won games, teams would be full of guys like that by now. 

and no, once again, "best" and "most" are not the same. Athleticism is also heavily reliant on the physical requirements of the sport and the type of training regimes it employs. Soccer countries dont field their most athletic people, they field their best soccer players. This seems to be a huge misunderstanding that Americans who dont follow soccer have. The US team is athletically on par, they just arent as skilled or tactical as the top teams. 

"Its popular because its poor" holds no weight because there are tons of things that contradict it, like it being the no1 sport in a bunch of rich, highly developed nations.

"Its popular because furriners r fags" holds no weight, because plenty of nations where its popular also play violent sports like rugby, hockey, boxing etc. 

And of course you dropped the "Murica has the best athletes" line, i'm assuming you're going to go "LOOK AT THE OLYMPIC MEDAL COUNT" next too, right?

Again, we aren't talking about the "global" talent pool, we are talking about America and how our best athletes don't play soccer.

Its really simple, the best 20 athletes in a class in the UK all play soccer, maybe 1 or 2 of the best 20 athletes in an American class play soccer

It's also boring as fuck to most of us who grew up watching real sports which explains why the average attendance at NFL games is 70,000 fans, average attendance of MLS games is 21,000.

In America, soccer will always be for 4-6 year old boys, girls and the kids who are unable to throw a spiral, make a layup or hit a fastball.

10/11/17 8:31 AM
8/18/13
player101 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

Lol, yeah the talent is there, the best leagues in the world are just aching to get hold of the USA teams players! 

Landon Donovan is regarded as one of your best ever. And he was shit. There's very little talent in that team 

10/11/17 8:33 AM
12/9/02
Kind of like how our best athletes don't give a shit about mma
10/11/17 8:35 AM
1/15/15
player101 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

We don't even know or care why we suck so bad at soccer.

10/11/17 8:37 AM
1/15/15

What I've always wondered is why are soccer fans bothered by the US not caring about soccer? Or do you care? We don't care what you think about American Football. We don't want you to watch it. So what's the big deal? Can't people like different things from you?

10/11/17 8:42 AM
1/9/02
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

Again, we aren't talking about the "global" talent pool, we are talking about America and how our best athletes don't play soccer.

Its really simple, the best 20 athletes in a class in the UK all play soccer, maybe 1 or 2 of the best 20 athletes in an American class play soccer

It's also boring as fuck to most of us who grew up watching real sports which explains why the average attendance at NFL games is 70,000 fans, average attendance of MLS games is 21,000.

In America, soccer will always be for 4-6 year old boys, girls and the kids who are unable to throw a spiral, make a layup or hit a fastball.

the attendance difference between the 2 leagues is not really where the massive gap in polularity lies its tv viewership.

A regular season NFL game is watched by 15 million americans. an MLS game averages 300k

10/11/17 8:44 AM
1/9/02

soccer is a skill sport not a sport based on athleticism so the athlete argument doesn't really hold up. It closer to the quarterback position which is why Tom Brady would easily dominate soccer if he grew up playing it.

10/11/17 8:46 AM
7/30/14
derekbob -

What I've always wondered is why are soccer fans bothered by the US not caring about soccer? Or do you care? We don't care what you think about American Football. We don't want you to watch it. So what's the big deal? Can't people like different things from you?

You just have to read this thread. 'Soccer is for women', 'we play real sports' etc. There are many American sports fans that just can't have it that other countries are better than them at a sport so they have to discredit the sport. It's weird, I agree. 

Personally, I think the format of football (free-flowing sport) is alien to American sports fans and tv networks. The American sports have been sold to the public fine, there's no need for another sport to be popular there.

10/11/17 8:46 AM
12/16/11
gregbrady -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

the attendance difference between the 2 leagues is not really where the massive gap in polularity lies its tv viewership.

A regular season NFL game is watched by 15 million americans. an MLS game averages 300k

Just saying, you can have an MLS Game on Saturday night that gets 21,000 in the same stadium the next day 70,000 show up for football.

The destruction that is TV numbers is even crazier, good call.

10/11/17 8:48 AM
12/28/04

The simple fact is most Americans do not understand football. They harp on about the "athletes" and "athleticism" but the reality is football has nothing to do with athleticism, its a game of skill and tactics. Also the tallent pool is far deeper than any american sport so you have to develop your skills from birth, its not like American Football where you can just get roided up and throw a ball about.

10/11/17 8:49 AM
12/16/11
Dragunov -
derekbob -

You just have to read this thread. 'Soccer is for women', 'we play real sports' etc. There are many American sports fans that just can't have it that other countries are better than them at a sport so they have to discredit the sport. It's weird, I agree. 

Personally, I think the format of football (free-flowing sport) is alien to American sports fans and tv networks. The American sports have been sold to the public fine, there's no need for another sport to be popular there.

And by "free flowing" you mean running for 90 minutes without any scoring and ending in a 0-0 tie.

10/11/17 8:50 AM
3/21/11
Dragunov -
derekbob -

you are not understanding it. here soccer does become for women. it is like the main sport for teh girls once in highschool. guys stop playing it here in middel school or in highschool for the most part. that isn't attacking soccer it is explaining how it is here

10/11/17 8:50 AM
12/16/11
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -

The simple fact is most Americans do not understand football. They harp on about the "athletes" and "athleticism" but the reality is football has nothing to do with athleticism, its a game of skill and tactics. Also the tallent pool is far deeper than any american sport so you have to develop your skills from birth, its not like American Football where you can just get roided up and throw a ball about.

I think we understand football and soccer just fine, soccer just happens to suck.

But please tell us how body builders are the best football players in the NFL. Lol

Edited: 10/11/17 8:53 AM
11/9/10

The problem is the team as a whole was unprepared and under performed through entire qualification cycle.

Edited: 10/11/17 8:58 AM
11/20/10
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

I never said that America wouldnt be better at soccer if more Americans played it, thats common sense. Its the "best athletes" shit that I find hilariously stupid. If it was the no1 sport in the US the USMNT wouldnt suddenly be full of supermen who jump 20 feet in the air on corners, shoot at 150mph and cover the length of the field with throw ins. Its going to be guys with the same physical attributes as now, only better at passing, shooting, dribbling and reading the game. 

The "real sports" shit is just typical cliched ignorant BS, I actually used to watch American football and have tried to get others into it. Trust me, your perception of soccer is the same way they see football. The comparison between the NFL and the MLS (a league that isnt even in the top 10 of its sport) is clearly pretty unfair too. 

Also, reminder that any white male who is still watching the NFL at this point is unpatriotic and a cuck. 

10/11/17 8:58 AM
1/9/02

quarterbacks do not "throw a ball about"

how dare you? Some of those spirals are works of art

10/11/17 9:00 AM
1/9/02
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

I never said that America wouldnt be better at soccer if more Americans played it, thats common sense. Its the "best athletes" shit that I find hilariously stupid. If it was the no1 sport in the US the USMNT wouldnt suddenly be full of supermen who jump 20 feet in the air on corners, shoot at 150mph and cover the length of the field with throw ins. Its going to be guys with the same physical attributes as now, only better at passing, shooting, dribbling and reading the game. 

The "real sports" shit is just typical cliched ignorant BS, I actually used to watch American football and have tried to get others into it. Trust me, your perception of soccer is the same way they see football. The comparison between the NFL and the MLS (a league that isnt even in the top 10 of its sport) is clearly pretty unfair too. 

Also, reminder that any white male who is still watching the NFL at this point is unpatriotic and a cuck. 

but the Dolphins won last week turtle

10/11/17 9:04 AM
3/18/02
BrckNoHitBk - 

its alive any time US Soccer wins a few high profile games - people and the media goes nuts...

then when they inevitably shit the bed, people like you ask when was it ever alive.

10/11/17 9:05 AM
12/16/11
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -

Lol. Gg, world.

Hoo boy, you are unable to grasp the concept of the most athletic kids playing soccer since they were 4 years old and building a foundation for "US Soccer".

Nobody said we are going to take Patrick Peterson and Leonard Fournette and go beat Italy retard, people are saying if Patrick Peterson and Fournette and the best athletes played soccer since they were 4 the US would have a larger base to pull players from.

There is the difference between foreigners and Americans, you try to get people to watch football, we don't try to get people to watch soccer because it sucks and most of us aren't interested in it.  

10/11/17 9:07 AM
12/28/04
trobinson21 - 

I think we understand football and soccer just fine, soccer just happens to suck.

But please tell us how body builders are the best football players in the NFL. Lol

Body buliders? Body builders are not the only people that take roids?