OtherGround Forums Soccer officially dead in the US

10/11/17 3:14 PM
6/13/09
Squatdog - 
FlyinHawaiian - 
Squatdog - America clearly has inferior athletes.

That's dog shit. Check how we did in the last Olympics.

America hasn't won an men's Olympic Weightlifting gold since 1960.

It seems that American power athletes simply can't compete with the world's best.

Squatty, I'm not taking the bait. I've known you for many years (I was ray_carlton).

You cannot pick one isolated sport and say the Americans aren't very good at it, therefore American athletes are inferior overall.

America has BY FAR the best athletes in the world, and you know it.
10/11/17 3:17 PM
2/13/12
Yeah.....

I'll be thinking of this thread when I'm in attendance with 60k+ fans of my home soccer team here in Atlanta.

..super dead.
10/11/17 3:17 PM
1/7/08
Thingading -
evil veiled - 
Thingading -

I have never met a single American male who aspires to do the below for a living. Not only is this acceptable, it is encouraged in the sport. Who is their right mind would ever want to wake up every day and do this as part of their profession? Especially when there are many other sports that are actually respected by the country.

sports soccer flop hungary injury GIF

fail soccer flop GIF

soccer ever flop GIF

fail soccer flop GIF

Acceptable and encouraged.  LOL.  Flopping is considered a disgrace in the football community.  Diving when you have been fouled is viewed more pragmatically, but flopping around like a fish out of water is not 'acceptable and encouraged'.

Any one makes it to the end of this video, props to them.

If flopping is not acceptable and encouraged, then why do we see so much of it?!?!?!?!

How much of it do we see?  4 gifs?  Do you know how much soccer is played, worldwide, in any given year?

10/11/17 3:19 PM
8/29/17

10/11/17 3:20 PM
2/5/06
Chimonos Revenge - ^Anyone caught flopping in soccer should have to stand at midfield, alone, for 2 minutes, while every screen/monitor/jumbotron in the stadium plays your flop on a loop

Fucking pussies

Ha.

Hockey isn't even my favorite sport but I love its "Diving/Embellishment" penalty. Dude's can get penalized if the ref thinks a player reacts too harshly to even a legitimate penalty committed by the opposing player.

10/11/17 3:22 PM
2/5/06
evil veiled - 
Thingading -
evil veiled - 
Thingading -

I have never met a single American male who aspires to do the below for a living. Not only is this acceptable, it is encouraged in the sport. Who is their right mind would ever want to wake up every day and do this as part of their profession? Especially when there are many other sports that are actually respected by the country.

fail soccer flop GIF

soccer ever flop GIF

fail soccer flop GIF

Acceptable and encouraged.  LOL.  Flopping is considered a disgrace in the football community.  Diving when you have been fouled is viewed more pragmatically, but flopping around like a fish out of water is not 'acceptable and encouraged'.

If flopping is not acceptable and encouraged, then why do we see so much of it?!?!?!?!

How much of it do we see?  4 gifs?  Do you know how much soccer is played, worldwide, in any given year?

Dude, there are countless gifs of these. Just like there are countless flops and dives in soccer.

10/11/17 3:40 PM
1/1/01
America's homosexual population alone is more than many of the countries already qualified for the Soccer World Cup.

There really is no excuse.
10/11/17 3:41 PM
10/25/07
Thingading - 
Chimonos Revenge - ^Anyone caught flopping in soccer should have to stand at midfield, alone, for 2 minutes, while every screen/monitor/jumbotron in the stadium plays your flop on a loop

Fucking pussies

Ha.

Hockey isn't even my favorite sport but I love its "Diving/Embellishment" penalty. Dude's can get penalized if the ref thinks a player reacts too harshly to even a legitimate penalty committed by the opposing player.

I've always thought that if they just changed the rules so that a player on the ground is considered the ball we'd see the flopping change overnight.  Oh, you got touched on the shoulder but are on the ground grabbing your ankle and rolling around in a pain never seen before?  You're the ball, prepare to be soccer kicked.

10/11/17 3:41 PM
7/26/07
Thingading - 

Fucking pussies

Ha.

That's the way it should be.

NBA needs to enact this too.
10/11/17 3:48 PM
6/17/11

my best thread is about fagball, go figure

(I'm just messing, I love the WC ... and now I get to root for Poland!)

10/11/17 3:54 PM
1/7/08
Thingading -
evil veiled - 
Thingading -
evil veiled - 
Thingading -

fail soccer flop GIF

soccer ever flop GIF

fail soccer flop GIF

Dude, there are countless gifs of these. Just like there are countless flops and dives in soccer.

Are flopping and diving the same?   One is fabricating a foul, the other is embellishing a foul.   Flopping is looked down upon, and diving is seen as pragmatic (because it is).

And there is flopping in the NBA too. 

10/11/17 4:00 PM
2/5/06
evil veiled - 
Thingading -
evil veiled - 
Thingading -
evil veiled - 
Thingading -

fail soccer flop GIF

soccer ever flop GIF

fail soccer flop GIF

Are flopping and diving the same?   One is fabricating a foul, the other is embellishing a foul.   Flopping is looked down upon, and diving is seen as pragmatic (because it is).

And there is flopping in the NBA too. 

Flopping and diving are both pathetic. If you think diving is pragmatic, then I guess you're into that sort of thing. In hockey, that shit sends you to the penalty box.

10/11/17 4:02 PM
12/1/12
Drunkie -

soccer just isn't popular here. it is great that it is a big deal for the rest of the world. but for us it isn't. we all played it as children. once we reached the middle school and high school level it is viewed as a girls sport. the girls play soccer the guys play football.  soccer is not  soemthing  kids grow up wanting to play here. everyone wants to be the next b-ball star or football star.  everyone has different taste guys and in america our tastes don't really include soccer. i wish your countries the bets of luck in it.

Did you write this post in the 1980s..? 

10/11/17 4:04 PM
12/1/12
Squatdog - America's homosexual population alone is more than many of the countries already qualified for the Soccer World Cup.

Well, the gays have never been all that into sports, so...  

10/11/17 4:07 PM
12/1/12
evil veiled -
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -

The simple fact is most Americans do not understand football. They harp on about the "athletes" and "athleticism" but the reality is football has nothing to do with athleticism, its a game of skill and tactics. Also the tallent pool is far deeper than any american sport so you have to develop your skills from birth, its not like American Football where you can just get roided up and throw a ball about.

Pretty much. 

There is so much specialization in NFL and basketball that people start to believe these are the 'best athletes'.  Look at Steph Curry.  Is he the best athlete in the NBA? Of course not!  Tom Brady, the best athlete in the NFL?  Not by a mile!

Basketball favors tall, skinny, fast players, with long arms.  Football favors size and strength, with explosiveness an added bonus.  Soccer, well, it doesn't really matter how tall, fast, big you are if you can't run for 90 minutes, does it?  And running for 90 minutes in a soccer game is very different from running around a track for 90 minutes.   And if you are big, fast and tall, and can run for 90 minutes, can you kick a ball?  Even then you have a long way to go before you can play soccer at a decent level.

Former NFL players, linesmen, are dying before the age of 50!  My God, the fitness, the athleticism!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2313476

America is literally stuck in a 1960s mentality, when it comes to soccer.  That was about when the rest of the world realized that you want to turn your best soccer players into better athletes, not your best athletes into better soccer players (an important distinction).

It reminds me of the movie Armageddon, where they decided it was easier to teach oil rig workers to become astronauts, than teaching astronauts how to work an oil rig!

Well said. VU

10/11/17 4:18 PM
6/17/11

'its not like American Football where you can just get roided up and throw a ball about.'

lol

You meant to be this ironic, yea?

Edited: 10/11/17 4:19 PM
12/1/12
trobinson21 -
Teenage Mutant Lesnar Turtle -
trobinson21 -
trobinson21 -
IgnorantDeadline -
Squatdog - America clearly has inferior athletes.

Imagine every cornerback and 4.4 running halfback in college and the pros playing soccer.

Lol. Gg, world.

My my...how has nobody thought of this yet? why arent soccer teams full of olympic track athletes?

Imagine an Offensive Lineman in goal too! he'd be so big that the ball couldnt even pass him!

Wait, you really don't understand that Americas best athletes play 4 sports before they get to soccer? Lol

Soccer is for kids whose moms won't let them play Pop Warner and girls.

What does this have to do with my post?

You seem unable to grasp the simple fact that Americans have money for sports equipment so our kids aren't stuck kicking a ball around for 90 minutes without any scoring, they can play real sports so "American" soccer players are our 5th worst athletes playing against the best athletes from other countries.

Im glad we lost, the pussification of America is in line with the growth of soccer, hopefully this curbs that some.

This still doesnt have anything to do with my post. And the rest of your "hur hur everyone else plays soccer because they're poor" argument is retarded and objectively false. You really think Europeans cant afford a plastic helmet, a bat or a basketball hoop? and that literally the only thing anyone ever has the opportunity to play in these countries is soccer? 

Also, attracting the most athletes is not the same as having the best athletes. 

It absolutely does, someone mentioned cornerbacks and running backs in the NFL, guys that are infinitely more athletic than the best soccer players in the world, and you replied sarcastically with your "track athlete" and offensive lineman takes.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world(numbers wise) because most of the world is poor and all you need is a ball.

The best athletes in the world are Americans and our best athletes play football first, then baseball and basketball, then hockey up North, then soccer.

In America, soccer is for the bottom 20% of athletes, women and small children age 4-6.

So full of ignorance. Yet you keep regurgitating the same points ad nauseum as they if get true-er the more you type.  

Your rambling isn't factual, or convincing.

It's also a little sad that you're so heavily invested in a thread about a sport that you claim to not care about... yet you can't stop posting and walk away.

10/11/17 5:14 PM
1/9/02
Gean -

lol

I like it

10/11/17 5:15 PM
1/9/02
Squatdog - America's homosexual population alone is more than many of the countries already qualified for the Soccer World Cup.

Agreed

We need you to come over and intensely train our homosexuals Squatdog

Edited: 10/11/17 5:22 PM
12/7/06

Soccer is like the Boy Scouts here.  Kids are likely weirdos if they participate past elementary school. The only kids past 11 who play soccer or go on to be Eagle Scouts are either Mormon homeschoolers, or kids who resemble Napoleon Dynamite.

10/11/17 5:30 PM
11/20/10

Does the US team still have a bunch of born and raised Euros in it like it did last WC? kind of negates the "our best athletes dont play" thing if it does. 

10/11/17 5:33 PM
1/1/01
Teenage Mutant Lesnar Turtle - 

Does the US team still have a bunch of born and raised Euros in it like it did last WC? kind of negates the "our best athletes dont play" thing if it does. 

Not so much anymore. With Klinsman there were a ton of them, now I can't even think of any off the top of my head that are getting playing time.
Edited: 10/11/17 5:36 PM
1/9/02
jman -
Teenage Mutant Lesnar Turtle - 

Not so much anymore. With Klinsman there were a ton of them, now I can't even think of any off the top of my head that are getting playing time.

thats probably why we suck so bad now.

Was Klinsman really that bad? Seemed like it was a bit hasty to fire him. I dont follow soccer that closely though

10/11/17 6:10 PM
1/1/01
^^^
You might have a point.

I think there is a bit of vindication for Klinsman with Arena failing, but overall the entire state of US Soccer is completely fucked.

If this doesn't restructure and reorganize things with US Soccer, then nothing ever will.

Still love the Taylor Twellman rant, I've watched it a few times today, lol:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017/10/10/16457134/world-cup-2018-usa-vs-trinidad-and-tobago-taylor-twellman-rant-sportscenter
Edited: 10/12/17 7:27 AM
12/28/04
FlyinHawaiian - 

America has BY FAR the best athletes in the world, and you know it.

How on earth do you work that out? If you look at countries by all time Olympic medals, while the USA has the most, per head of populations there are MANY countries that out perform the USA. Take the 2016 Olympics, the UK had more than 1/2 the number of medals of the USA with ONLY 1/6th of the population.