OtherGround Forums Soccer officially dead in the US

10/12/17 6:41 PM
10/13/09

I thought the US was supposed to win the world cup by 2022, as some OGers were saying 3 years ago... you guys still have a shot.

USA? USA? USA ???

10/13/17 1:41 AM
5/10/08
petzi -

I thought the US was supposed to win the world cup by 2022, as some OGers were saying 3 years ago... you guys still have a shot.

USA? USA? USA ???

I think with Pulisic and massively defensive coach like a mourinho or simeone, the USA could get to a final in 2026.

10/13/17 3:40 AM
6/3/11
lionsoul -
petzi -

USA? USA? USA ???

I think with Pulisic and massively defensive coach like a mourinho or simeone, the USA could get to a final in 2026.

No they couldn't 

10/13/17 3:54 AM
8/29/17

The world should rejoice that Americans have zero passion for soccer 

10/13/17 3:59 AM
3/17/14
Gean - 

This is true. But even if we committed to it to the level of let's say Brazil, it still would take some time to get a world cup title.

We just will never see that while football (American)-baseball-basketball-hockey is around.

Shit it far more likely that American loses a world basketball title then us win an soccer world cup with out current level of commitment
10/13/17 4:08 AM
8/19/12
Mr. Wright -

because only 12 year old boys and lesbians care about soccer in the united states. any teenage boy that is even moderately athletic is playing a different sport and getting a scholarship to their school of choice.

Ye getting brain damage and kneeling at the national anthem.
10/13/17 4:36 AM
11/20/10
Gean -

True. I mean look at how dominant Britain, China and Russia are at soccer.

10/13/17 4:49 AM
10/19/14
Squatdog -
What country has won the most Olympic gold medals since then? Serious question.

Russia/Soviet Union and China.

Squatdog- Kyle Snyder negates your entire argument in your post. Look him up if you're unfamiliar. Unless you don't consider wrestlers "power athletes"...

So America's 'elite' Olympics programme managed to produce ONE whole men's gold medalist at the 2016 Olympics...which is the same as Georgia (population 3.7m), Serbia (population 7m) and Armenia (population 2.9m)?

LOL!
Wrong. I looked this up. The US has won more gold medals since then than both China and Russia/Soviet Union. Good try though.
10/13/17 5:20 AM
8/29/17
BruteDion -
Gean - 

This is true. But even if we committed to it to the level of let's say Brazil, it still would take some time to get a world cup title.

We just will never see that while football (American)-baseball-basketball-hockey is around.

Shit it far more likely that American loses a world basketball title then us win an soccer world cup with out current level of commitment

yeah i mean if soccer was the #1 passion hands down and kids grew up with it as such from a wee age, then the Americans would be pretty dominant globally.  

10/13/17 5:37 AM
4/15/16
We should build a soccer dream team. Pull the very best professional football, baseball and basketball players and put them on the US soccer team. Just to win over WC.
10/13/17 5:53 AM
6/26/16
who cares about men's team

women's soccer is where it's at

next year's world cup is going to be great go usa
10/13/17 6:31 AM
5/7/10
Hashtag - We should build a soccer dream team. Pull the very best professional football, baseball and basketball players and put them on the US soccer team. Just to win over WC.

Doesn't work like that. Top soccer guys learn from the age of six. You can't take some athletic guy and drop him into this sport to become pro, it's not like football or basketball.

10/13/17 6:34 AM
3/28/07
Drunkie - 

soccer just isn't popular here. it is great that it is a big deal for the rest of the world. but for us it isn't. we all played it as children. once we reached the middle school and high school level it is viewed as a girls sport. the girls play soccer the guys play football.  soccer is not  soemthing  kids grow up wanting to play here. everyone wants to be the next b-ball star or football star.  everyone has different taste guys and in america our tastes don't really include soccer. i wish your countries the bets of luck in it.

Sounds like all American children try it out, but then realize it's too difficult for them, and gravitated towards easier sports that doesnt focus on skill as much.

Stop raising quitter and some day the US might be, atleast, average at soccer aswell.

10/13/17 6:54 AM
1/1/01
RichardSteel - 
Squatdog -
What country has won the most Olympic gold medals since then? Serious question.

Russia/Soviet Union and China.

Squatdog- Kyle Snyder negates your entire argument in your post. Look him up if you're unfamiliar. Unless you don't consider wrestlers "power athletes"...

So America's 'elite' Olympics programme managed to produce ONE whole men's gold medalist at the 2016 Olympics...which is the same as Georgia (population 3.7m), Serbia (population 7m) and Armenia (population 2.9m)?

LOL!
Wrong. I looked this up. The US has won more gold medals since then than both China and Russia/Soviet Union. Good try though.

In Weightlifting?

America has managed ZERO.

ZERO.
10/13/17 7:06 AM
11/20/05

Because nobody cares OP, nobody cares....

Edited: 10/13/17 4:29 PM
5/10/08
SkinnyJeanGenie - 
lionsoul -
petzi -

USA? USA? USA ???

No they couldn't 

It think you underestimate the genius of coaches like a Mourinho or a Simeone....

Plus - I think Pulisic could be a Top 10 player by then.

Plus we will have a brand new US team with guys who hopefully have more international experience.

10/13/17 4:31 PM
7/30/14
lionsoul -
SkinnyJeanGenie - 
lionsoul -
petzi -

USA? USA? USA ???

No they couldn't 

It think you underestimate the genius of coaches like a Mourinho or a Simeone....

Plus we will have a brand new US team with guys who hopefully have more international experience.

MLS either needs to drastically improve or American players need to play in England, Spain or Germany. It will happen eventually but no time soon.

10/13/17 4:38 PM
5/10/08
Dragunov - 
lionsoul -
SkinnyJeanGenie - 
lionsoul -
petzi -

USA? USA? USA ???

No they couldn't 

MLS either needs to drastically improve or American players need to play in England, Spain or Germany. It will happen eventually but no time soon.

The fact that a Mourinho took a Porto Team and an Inter team (both of whom had no business being there) and got them both to win a Champions League (far harder than a World Cup victory) is a testament to his genius of a coach.

He uses tactics to make the talent on the field less relevant.  Yes it would be boring... but he would have our team tactically park the bus with a singular goal of getting the counter in specific moments.  We wouldn't need possession... we would just need heart and a willingness to follow his tactics to the end.

Chelsea followed this approach and won (in 2012) despite having no business being there.

He could do it with the US national team (no matter how crappy we are)....

10/13/17 4:45 PM
7/30/14

Mourinho destroyed Chelsea in his last season there. Completely lost the dressing room. He's a great manager though and would improve the US team but good luck getting him!

10/13/17 4:49 PM
1/13/04
lionsoul - 
SkinnyJeanGenie - 
lionsoul -
petzi -

USA? USA? USA ???

No they couldn't 

I was hoping you guys made it but that's the way it goes sometimes. What's really fucked is Iceland (who's population is 0.1% of the US population with around 340,000 people) qualified but they take the game crazy serious and have been doing well over the last few years with international competitions.
10/13/17 5:03 PM
5/10/08
Dragunov -

Mourinho destroyed Chelsea in his last season there. Completely lost the dressing room. He's a great manager though and would improve the US team but good luck getting him!

This means nothing.

This always happens to mourinho teams near the end.  He works every single player physically, emotionally and psychologically.  

He is a master tactician and knows how to pull the limit of every player's potential.

It is said that every single player on a Mourinho team cries at least once during his tenure there.

The Chelsea team that won it all a year after he left was a team that he built.

10/13/17 5:08 PM
7/30/14
lionsoul -
Dragunov -

This means nothing.

This always happens to mourinho teams near the end.  He works every single player physically, emotionally and psychologically.  

He is a master tactician and knows how to pull the limit of every player's potential.

It is said that every single player on a Mourinho team cries at least once during his tenure there.

And you think he could do the same with a national team he would only spend time with a few times a year? 

10/13/17 5:09 PM
5/10/08
Dragunov -
lionsoul -
Dragunov -

This means nothing.

And you think he could do the same with a national team he would only spend time with a few times a year? 

Yes.  If anyone could, it is him.

10/13/17 5:10 PM
5/10/08
Graduate1 -
lionsoul - 
SkinnyJeanGenie - 
lionsoul -
petzi -

USA? USA? USA ???

No they couldn't 

I was hoping you guys made it but that's the way it goes sometimes. What's really fucked is Iceland (who's population is 0.1% of the US population with around 340,000 people) qualified but they take the game crazy serious and have been doing well over the last few years with international competitions.

Yeah... they are the story of the last euro and story of this world cup

Edited: 10/13/17 5:23 PM
9/8/02
BruteDion - 
Gean - 

We have committed to soccer, we have over committed to soccer and have created a bunch of spoiled brats with no competitve backbone. Brazil and these other impoverished countries do so well because the sport isn't handed to them on a platter. Sure, they have talent, and the top players are well payed, but they put in their time and they understand competition. Lalas put it perfectly, when he essentially said, US soccer are a bunch of tattooed wanna be rockstars. They are more worried about image than actually pushing the sport. 

I think this loss will actually help, it will inspire those who truly want it, to go out and get it. Rather than some kid seeing the USA play World Cup soccer, looking cool with their haircuts and tattoos, before convincing his parents to invest in soccer. Sure, that kid might become OK, in 8-10 years, but it will be for all the wrong reasons. Without the US in the World Cup, we won't have a bunch of posers running out to join soccer. Just like Easter Bunnies become hot items at pet shops around Easter, Soccer becomes popular in the USA for a brief instant during the World Cup. Without the US to watch, this cup will be largely ignored (except for California, where they will all be rooting for Mexico). Moving forward the kids who play soccer in the next 2-3 years will do so because they truly love the sport. Only then will the US prevail.