OtherGround Forums TV News Producer Fired for Yelling Magic Word

2/12/18 4:30 PM
11/23/11

https://youtu.be/jHoAkNrsFCU

The WSVN-Channel 7 producer caught lobbing the n-word at a Fort Lauderdale neighbor during a dispute over street parking was fired by the Fox affiliate on Monday morning, just days after her second anniversary at the station.

Robin Cross, 49 and a South Florida news figure for most of her adult life, was placed on leave last week when the neighbor’s son sent the station a letter and video about the incident.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/jose-lambiet/article199652129.html

The footage went viral, and WSVN terminated her in less than a week.

“After conducting a thorough investigation, WSVN has terminated a 7 News producer who was caught on cellphone video using a racial slur,” station spokeswoman Lily Pardo said in a statement. “WSVN will not tolerate any kind of discriminatory language or behavior.”

She also confirmed the producer was indeed Cross, a veteran of CBS affiliates in Miami and West Palm Beach and NBC6 in Miami as well as news radio WIOD-610 AM.

In the now-infamous video, Cross is confronted by retired car dealer Robert Fenton, 66, on the fancy canal-front Isle of Venice Drive in Fort Lauderdale after she parked her car near his driveway.

The dispute apparently has been ongoing for several years, and when Fenton came out to confront her on Feb. 6, Cross told station officials that she “just lost it” after “years of bullying.”

This time, Fenton was filming the scene on his cellphone.

“You don’t f--king own the road,” Cross is heard telling Fenton after he told her she is blocking his driveway.

Standing next to her car, she then launches into a tirade about how street parking is illegal anyway, but Fenton also parks there when the space is open.

At the end of the 50-second video, Cross can be heard saying: “Yes, I used the word f--king if you haven’t heard it before. Except for your f--king son who’s dating a f--king n----r.

“Finally, I said it out loud,” Cross says as she walks away.

Fenton’s son, Avery Fenton, a lawyer, routinely visits his dad with his girlfriend, an African-American doctorate student.

Avery Fenton reacted to the firing this morning by saying “justice was served.”

“I’m glad WSVN did the right thing, and this puts the matter to rest as far as I’m concerned. I hope she will act with more care and thoughtfulness with the people around her in the future.

“Everybody is owed dignity and respect. This was an issue of human decency, and I was just looking for WSVN to do the right thing.”

As for dad Robert Fenton, he called today a “sad day.”

“Nobody wants to see another person lose her job,” he said. “But in this case, the punishment fits the crime.”

2/12/18 4:34 PM
1/18/03
Shitty people all around.
2/12/18 4:39 PM
11/1/03

Classy broad.

2/12/18 4:44 PM
12/23/08
jpm995 -

Classy broad.

Classy broad?

You wouldn’t know a classy broad if she took a dump on ya head.

2/12/18 4:45 PM
10/15/13

"Justice was served"????

Yeah, she lost it and used a bad word. But to lose her job/income over it? That's fucking ridiculous. 

Edited: 2/12/18 4:47 PM
6/24/05
In before OG defends her right to freedom of speech.
2/12/18 4:47 PM
11/17/10

dummy

i ate breakfast next to this broad at some beach cafe in hallandale, and Doug for (rob ford's brother) was sitting at the next table over

we all had a friendly little chit chat

no N bombs though

2/12/18 4:50 PM
1/1/01
Al Cappucino - 

"Justice was served"????

Yeah, she lost it and used a bad word. But to lose her job/income over it? That's fucking ridiculous. 

She's a public figure. So yes, her losing her job is appropriate. 

2/12/18 4:55 PM
2/5/06

Firing justified. What an idiot.

2/12/18 4:59 PM
6/30/07
Hocky -
jpm995 -

Classy broad.

Classy broad?

Of all people, I would expect you to understand sarcasm.

6/30/07
Thingading -

Firing justified. What an idiot.

Yup

6/24/07
Al Cappucino -

"Justice was served"????

This. She’s an idiot. But, I guarantee everyone here who is saying that her firing was justified has said worse to someone in their life. This trial and sentencing by internet has gotten waaaayy out of hand. What a pussy that guy was for filming the interaction in the first place.

2/12/18 5:05 PM
12/23/08
MountainMedic -
Hocky -
jpm995 -

Classy broad.

Classy broad?

Of all people, I would expect you to understand sarcasm.

It’s a quote from the movie “Outside Providence.”

2/12/18 5:07 PM
2/23/03
you can't call a spade a spade these days
2/12/18 5:08 PM
1/1/01
Hilldo - 
Al Cappucino -

"Justice was served"????

This. She’s an idiot. But, I guarantee everyone here who is saying that her firing was justified has said worse to someone in their life. This trial and sentencing by internet has gotten waaaayy out of hand. What a pussy that guy was for filming the interaction in the first place.

She displayed piss poor judgement and alienated the audience of her television station. If they let her keep her job, they would be endorsing her behavior. 

2/12/18 5:09 PM
9/4/17
Al Cappucino -

"Justice was served"????

I disagree. I don't give a fuck that she said some word, but her employer probably does. 

2/12/18 5:10 PM
4/15/16
To be a public figure and say something like that on camera....

I hope it was worth it.
2/12/18 5:23 PM
9/4/17
comeacrossclean - you can't call a spade a spade these days

Exactly, for some reason people are upset if you call her a cunt. 

2/12/18 5:32 PM
11/17/11
AnericanFootball -

Using the n-word in its proper context is ok with me. 

You mean to describe an ignorant black person? This wasn't proper context at all. She just called a black woman a nigger even though she had no problem with her whatsoever. Fuck her. Hope she enjoys the crowd at the welfare office. 

2/12/18 5:44 PM
1/1/01
Death Beast - 
AnericanFootball -

Using the n-word in its proper context is ok with me. 

You mean to describe an ignorant black person? This wasn't proper context at all. She just called a black woman a nigger even though she had no problem with her whatsoever. Fuck her. Hope she enjoys the crowd at the welfare office. 

I don't condone what she did at all but she was terminated before the word left her mouth.

With all the "fucks" the ranting etc..

She could have said "and your son dates a black girl" and she still would have been terminated.
2/12/18 5:47 PM
9/23/17

I’m sure the guy is a real class act as well, just saying. Still, no reason for her to go bonkers like that. Fucking women.. Jesus.

2/12/18 6:04 PM
11/28/09

Justice?

karma maybe.  But Justice?

2/12/18 6:05 PM
6/30/07
Hilldo -
Al Cappucino -

"Justice was served"????

Uuuhhhhhjh, yeah. Of course.

But, speaking only for myself, I know when and where to say "something worse"

What's your problem? 

2/12/18 6:08 PM
11/15/04
DaveFu -
Al Cappucino - 

"Justice was served"????

She's a public figure. So yes, her losing her job is appropriate. 

Fuck you, you N——- Naval Person!

2/12/18 6:09 PM
8/20/03

You can't do anything anymore without a camera there.

Always best to say nothing.