OtherGround Forums Trump montage Violence in Video Games goes viral

3/11/18 2:41 PM
10/16/10

In the wake of the Parkland massacre, Trump met with industry executives on March 8 about whether violence in video games is contributing to mass shootings.

The White House then published a short montage of bloody shootings, stabbings and beheadings from COD MW2, FO4, Dead by Daylight, Wolfenstein and Sniper Elite 4.  The video immediately went viral and has since been seen over a million times with 2k likes and 76k dislikes.  

Is this a nothingburger or will it alienate his younger base?

3/11/18 2:42 PM
10/16/10

Readout of President Donald J. Trump’s Meeting with Video Game Industry Leaders

Law & Justice

Issued on: March 8, 2018

Today, President Trump and senior members of the Administration met with leaders in the video game industry and experts on violence to discuss violent video game exposure and its impact on our children.  To date, the Administration has led many discussions about how to prevent violent behavior in our schools, with a focus on stopping those intent on committing mass murder.  During today’s meeting, the group spoke with the President about the effect that violent video games have on our youth, especially young males. 

The President acknowledged some studies have indicated there is a correlation between video game violence and real violence.  The conversation centered on whether violent video games, including games that graphically simulate killing, desensitize our community to violence.  This meeting is part of ongoing discussions with local leaders and Congress on issues concerning school and public safety and protecting America’s youth.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/readout-president-donald-j-trumps-meeting-video-game-industry-leaders/

3/11/18 2:49 PM
3/17/14
I would like to see these studies and who they were conducted by that say there is a link because every one I have seen was biased trash.

3/11/18 3:00 PM
10/16/10
BruteDion - I would like to see these studies and who they were conducted by that say there is a link because every one I have seen was biased trash.

That's what I've always heard as well, although I haven't read them myself. Hollywood could just as easily be blamed.
Edited: 3/11/18 3:07 PM
12/26/05

Trump is dumb on video games.  He's dumb on tariffs.Hes dumb on trade.  He's been dumb on DACA my opinion. Hes dumb on the drug war.  He's ignored the problems with the surveillance state that don't directly relate to his own campaign.  He's dumb on the budget.  He's dumb on guns.  He's dumb on due process and the concept of rights.  He's dumb on increased military spending.

Trump is dumb on a great amount of shit.

MAGA? 

I doubt it.

3/11/18 3:55 PM
1/4/14
CavemanDave - 

Trump is dumb on video games.  He's dumb on tariffs.Hes dumb on trade.  He's been dumb on DACA my opinion. Hes dumb on the drug war.  He's ignored the problems with the surveillance state that don't directly relate to his own campaign.  He's dumb on the budget.  He's dumb on guns.  He's dumb on due process and the concept of rights.  He's dumb on increased military spending.

Trump is dumb on a great amount of shit.

MAGA? 

I doubt it.

This. He's a very shallow thinker and doesn't seem to see much past the high-level arguments. I think more nuanced arguments just go over his head, like with his 'take the guns first, then due process' position.
3/11/18 3:56 PM
11/30/11

Is this just more retarded pandering to his base? 

Like the thick headed conservatives that are 40+ and ultra religious?

MAGA!!

3/11/18 4:02 PM
9/11/12

Yeah wasn't this already a big deal ten or fifteen years ago with studies concluding there is no relation?

3/11/18 4:10 PM
11/30/11

Why isn't anyone cheerleading this?

are they busy playing fortnite ?

3/11/18 4:14 PM
2/7/08
They better not ban these games before Red Dead 2 comes out!!!
3/11/18 4:41 PM
11/9/17

Only a fool would think those games have zero impact on young people. 

3/11/18 4:47 PM
11/30/11
PelosiesPanties -

What about footage of war on the news? Should we ban that too or?

3/11/18 4:54 PM
12/26/05
PelosiesPanties -

They have zero impact on school shootings.

People can differentiate between video games and reality...Even kids.  Don't believe me, have an avid video game player of 14 go shoot a rabbit and watch it die...watch the reaction.  It won't be indifference.

If it is, the problem is psychopathy, not video games.

If you want to look at the universal problem with these young men shooting  up schools, it's not even mental health, which is a secondary problem.  

It's fatherlessness.

It's not fucking COD.  

3/11/18 5:26 PM
3/9/13

Trump knows best. If he says no to video games then we should ban video games IMO. 

3/11/18 5:28 PM
7/12/15

Video games are played in places where school shootings don't happen. 

3/11/18 5:33 PM
6/26/06
PelosiesPanties -

Exactly.  If nofap rewires your brain, how the fuck does someone think a first person shooter wouldn't ?

3/11/18 5:37 PM
3/13/17
HandyDarsh - 
PelosiesPanties -

What about footage of war on the news? Should we ban that too or?

Action movies too.

Music with violent lyrics.
3/11/18 5:37 PM
2/6/15

The type of person who is vulnerable to being influenced from media is just one those broken people who could be triggered by anything.

3/11/18 5:38 PM
3/13/17
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/80-percent-of-mass-shooters-showed-no-interest-in-video-games-researcher-says/

80 percent of mass shooters showed no interest in video games, researcher says
Share Tweet Reddit Flipboard Email
NEW YORK -- President Trump met with video game industry representatives Thursday, after saying last month violent video games may play a role in mass shootings. The president met with parents like Melissa Henson.

"The kind of messages and images that they are putting in their minds, I think they're nightly dress rehearsals for huge acts of violence," she said.

But psychologist Patrick Markey's research shows 80 percent of mass shooters did not show an interest in violent video games.

0308-eve-werner-videogames.jpg
President Trump has said violence in video games may play a role in mass shootings CBS NEWS
"It seems like something that should make us safer so it's a totally understandable reaction," Markey said. "The problem is just the science, the data, does not back up that they actually have an effect."

Other critics point to the appearance of specific weapons in video games, like a Remington assault rifle pictured in popular game "Call of Duty." Images of the rifle come from a lawsuit by Sandy Hook parents, who are suing Remington, saying the company bears responsibility for the killings of the 26 children at the school by shooter Adam Lanza in 2012.

"He was within this younger male demographic that Remington was trying to sell guns to," said attorney Josh Koskoff. "What we are seeing here is what I describe as a 'chickens coming home to roost' scenario, where you saturate, you sell so recklessly so many of these weapons to this high-risk demographic."

We reached out to Remington but did not hear back. The Entertainment Software Association, which represents the video game industry, said it told the president that "numerous scientific studies" show there is "no connection between video games and violence." In fact, Markey said his work shows when a new violent game is released, crime actually drops.
3/11/18 5:44 PM
12/7/10
PelosiesPanties -

It absolutely does. In fact every credible study on the matter shows that violent crime rates dip on the release of a major title. Most contribute it to the fact that they’re inside “gitting gud” and can’t make it out to commit crimes.

3/11/18 5:45 PM
11/8/09
CavemanDave -
PelosiesPanties -

They have zero impact on school shootings.

People can differentiate between video games and reality...Even kids.  Don't believe me, have an avid video game player of 14 go shoot a rabbit and watch it die...watch the reaction.  It won't be indifference.

If it is, the problem is psychopathy, not video games.

If you want to look at the universal problem with these young men shooting  up schools, it's not even mental health, which is a secondary problem.  

It's fatherlessness.

It's not fucking COD.  

Those kids wouldn’t be playing violent video games if they had good dads. Good dads don’t let their kids play inappropriate video games and watch inappropriate tv shows. 

I’ll play my games and watch my tv when the kids go to bed. 

3/11/18 5:47 PM
6/13/13

Got to be seen to be doing something, but it’s just the latest witch hunt.

People are scared to say that there’s just some evil cunts out there. Imagine how much of an arsehole he average person is, then think that half of people are worse than that.

3/11/18 5:47 PM
2/4/07
When I was a kid, a video like this would be my Christmas list.
3/11/18 5:57 PM
6/26/06

I used to play halo with my roomies at night years ago but had to stop due to seeing the screens in my head in bed after.  

Look at how desensitized we are to violence post UFC and YouTube fights.   Do you remember the shock someone would have when you showed them pat smith?  Now that's like an average fight

3/11/18 6:07 PM
5/30/03

H