OtherGround Forums Unarmed man vs. Mountain Lion, who wins?

12 days ago
4/27/14

Man, by suffocation (choke?)

Feb. 4, 2019, 10:45 PM MST
By Alex Johnson
A trail runner fought off and killed a mountain lion in self-defense in northern Colorado on Monday, state officials said.

The runner, who wasn't identified, was attacked on the West Ridge Trail at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space in Larimer County near Fort Collins, Colorado Parks and Wildlife, or CPW, said in a statement.

Authorities didn't say how the runner managed to kill the mountain lion, which they described as a "juvenile." They said the lion lunged at the runner, biting his face and wrist and causing serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

"The runner did everything he could to save his life," said Mark Leslie, CPW's Northeast region manager. "In the event of a lion attack you need to do anything in your power to fight back, just as this gentleman did."

Mountain lion attacks on people are rare, with fewer than 20 people having been killed by one in North America in more than 100 years, state officials said. The last attack in Colorado was reported in June 2016, when a 5-year-old boy was seriously injured outside his home in Pitkin County, west of Denver. The boy survived.

Another report says he suffocated the animal, but not clear how. RNC?

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers confirmed through a necropsy that a jogger on Horsetooth Mountain in Larimer County survived a rare attack by a young mountain lion by suffocating the animal to death.

“After additional investigation, including examination of the lion, we have confirmed the victim’s account that he was able to suffocate the animal while defending himself from attack,” Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials tweeted Tuesday morning.

Although the runner was bitten and injured after the mountain lion attacked him Monday from behind, he fought for his life and was able to kill the animal. Yet questions still remain.

It’s unclear whether the runner — who has not yet been identified publicly — strangled or smothered the mountain lion. He had no weapons, so he killed the cat with his bare, bleeding hands after climbing on top of the animal, state wildlife officials said.

“It’s an amazing story. Everyone is baffled and impressed,” said Rebecca Ferrell, spokeswoman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife. “He had no weapons, no knives or trekking poles with him. How did he do it? It’s pretty rare. That is definitely a twist on this, I’m sure.”

RELATED: Gov. Polis celebrates Colorado trail runner who killed mountain lion but urges others not to emulate

Monday’s incident took place in a 2,711-acre park west of Fort Collins in the foothills of Larimer County. It ranges in elevation from 5,430 feet to 7,255 feet and has 29 miles of recreational trails.

The victim was running on West Ridge Trail when he heard something running behind him, Farrell said. As he turned, he saw the mountain lion pounce for his head and neck, she said. The victim managed to block the attack with his forearms and turned his back to the mountain lion, Farrell said.

Once he fended the mountain lion off, he counter-attacked the cat by getting on top of it, she said. There are still a few mysteries, though, including exactly how he suffocated the animal.

“We have several questions for him,” Farrell said.

The victim was still in the hospital Tuesday receiving medical care, she said.

Edited: 12 days ago
4/27/14

Wildlife officers will go to the hospital Tuesday morning and ask him many questions about how he survived and then killed the mountain lion, Farrell said.

Although preliminary information from the necropsy confirms the jogger’s story about the cause of death, detailed information about the mountain lion’s injuries have not been released and could take several days before they are made public.

After being attacked Monday, the man hiked to safety and was able to get to a local hospital on his own, officials said. On Monday evening, the victim was treated for serious injuries including facial bite wounds and lacerations to his arms, legs and back. The man is expected to recover.

RELATED: Tips to avoid a mountain lion attack in Colorado

Every type of potential scenario is being considered including the unlikely possibility that the mountain lion was rabid, Farrell said. Doctors will treat him for possible infections, she said.

Mountain lion attacks in Colorado are rare, officials said. The act of running may have triggered the young lion’s instinct to hunt.

“Mountain lion attacks are not common in Colorado and it is unfortunate that the lion’s hunting instincts were triggered by the runner,” said Ty Petersburg, area wildlife manager for CPW. “This could have had a very different outcome.”

“The runner did everything he could to save his life,” said Mark Leslie, CPW northeast region manager.

Farrell said there are different survival strategies when a wild animal attacks a human. For some, the best strategy is to curl up and make yourself as small as possible. Not so with a mountain lion, she said.

People attacked by mountain lions should do what this victim did: fight for your life.

To avoid a physical confrontation, a person should yell and make themselves appear bigger by standing tall and waving their arms and facing the mountain lion, Farrell said.

“With a mountain lion, your best chance is to fight. If you make yourself small they will think you are prey,” Farrell said.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/05/how-runner-killed-mountain-lion-attack-larimer-county/?fbclid=IwAR1q-HK8_5LpJ-MqEsYeT7VnBRqA5d5prezyTiSj35nmSw9O9i8D0btGn-c

12 days ago
1/9/02

I lived right on that park for 4 yrs. my neighbor's dog got attacked by a mtn lion on a trail run (the dog was ok unfortunately), I ran into one dragging a deer across the trail and I also found a den right behind my house all in that same park.

some kind of mtn lion catnip must grow naturally there.

12 days ago
4/27/14

This guy fought off a mountain lion with what sounds like a multitool. Props.

I spent most of my early life without direction. Raised in Minnesota, my family was so large – I have six siblings – it felt as if it was survival of the fittest and I began acting up for attention. I had my first beer in kindergarten, my first joint in seventh grade and my first line of cocaine at high school. I was making my parents cry every day. Aged 24, I threw everything in a van and left for Colorado. Three months after arriving, I was broke. To help clear my head, I often hiked through Roxborough state park, about 15 miles south-west of Denver. There are no dogs or bicycles allowed there. It’s just you and your hiking boots. From the top of the mountain the view is breathtaking – mountain ranges as far as you can see. I’d never felt a sense of calm like I did up there.

On 30 April 1998, I was 50 yards from the top of the mountain when I saw a long, brown tail poking out from behind a pine tree. There hadn’t been a mountain lion sighting in the park for over a year, but I immediately knew that’s what it was. I froze, watching the tree. The mountain lion’s head would come up and look around, then it would go back to whatever it was eating, its jaws crunching through the bones of its kill.

I started backing away, keeping my eyes on the lion. You couldn’t carry a firearm in a national park at the time, but I did have my two-and-a-half-inch utility knife and I started folding out the blade as a precaution. Then the screwdriver loudly snapped back into the case. There was the mountain lion, its yellow eyes looking at me as though it knew every thought in my head. The ears were slanted in attack position, its teeth yellow splinters buried in black gums.

I opened my mouth to say, “Hey, you can have this mountain, I’m leaving” but before I could, the mountain lion smashed right into my chest, knocking me off the trail. Its claws were in my knees, my neck, my chest. Its jaw stretched over my head from my hairline to the back of my skull. There was no pain, only the smell of rotting flesh, the smell of death.

I stabbed at it with my knife, but its hide was too tough. I saw blood on my hand and realised I’d stabbed myself through the palm. The lion ripped a gash under my left eye, then bit my head again. All I could see was blood.

Feeling the lion’s face, I found its right eye and pushed my thumb through the eyelid all the way to the muscle at the back of the eye. I managed to get my knife free and stabbed at the top of its head before pulling myself to my feet and running away, down the trail.

Blood covered my clothes. At one point I turned and saw the lion watching me from the bough of a tree. But instead of the lion I thought I could see the face of God. I ran on, screaming, “Help. 911. Lion!” Two women dragged me to a medical helicopter near the visitors’ centre. Eight minutes later I was in hospital.

I spent six hours in surgery. It took 70 staples to close my head wound – the hospital’s record. I had wounds across my neck, chest, thighs, shoulders, arms and stomach, but Colorado’s hot, dry air had clotted my blood and stopped me bleeding to death.

I was able to walk out of hospital four days later. At this point, bloody footprints were all park rangers had found of the mountain lion.

Almost a year later I received a phone call saying a female mountain lion had been cornered in a nearby garden. The lion had a one-inch scar on the top of her head and was missing an eye. I had the choice to have her shot there and then. Arguing that she’d just been defending herself, I persuaded the park rangers to set her free.

I’d hurt people through being malicious and careless, and the lion hurt me through natural instinct. In a way, it had more of a right to live than I did. The whole incident changed my life for the better. I gave up drink and drugs, and found religion. I’ve been saved twice, once from the lion and once from my own self-destructive urges.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/11/i-fought-off-mountain-lion-experience

12 days ago
4/27/14

There was a guy not far from me up in Chino Valley who was camping with his family and dog who used a skillet to beat a rabid mountain lion that attacked his dog:

According to The (Prescott, Ariz.) Daily Courier, Brandon Arnold, 24, was camping with his girlfriend, Tessa Gerdes, and seven other friends -- including three children -- early in the morning on May 4 in the Tonto National Forest when a mountain lion attacked Arnold's dog, Apollo, a 90-pound lab-pit bull mix.

Arnold's friend, Donald Jones, grabbed the cougar by the neck thinking it was another camper's dog, then (wisely) let go once he realized what he had grabbed. The puma high-tailed it into the woods, with Apollo giving chase, so Arnold and Jones gave chase with whatever weapons they could grab; Arnold grabbed a cast-iron frying pan, and Jones grabbed a table.

Arnold reached the animals first, and once he got a clear swing, he took it, smacking the cat in the head.

"The first time I had a clear shot I just swung the pan and hit him right on the head," Arnold told The Daily Courier. "It was like a cartoon -- he just kind of stopped and I hit him again. He got stiff and fell over."

Arnold walloped the stunned cougar again, knocking it to the ground, then popped it several more times for good measure before another friend shot it a couple times -- just to be sure.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department reported Monday that the cougar tested positive for rabies. Luckily, none of the campers were scratched or bitten. Apollo suffered a few wounds, but thankfully had his rabies shots and should be released after a 45-day quarantine.

This picture tells me that dog will always love his master:

12 days ago
6/13/03

Maybe it was sick. Most people cant even control a feral house cat

12 days ago
6/6/17

"Arnold walloped the stunned cougar again, knocking it to the ground, then popped it several more times for good measure before another friend shot it a couple times -- just to be sure."

LOL, like a scene out of a movie where they keep firing bullets into it even though its long dead!

12 days ago
11/17/10

Crazy that the dog chased the lion in that story after being attacked

That is def the pitbull in him

12 days ago
5/15/06
Ive eaten Mountain Lion. Brined it and smoked it.It was delicous, first time I cooked cat. A Cougar on the BBQ is great. A cougar stalking you when you don't have a rifle is not.
12 days ago
11/20/12

Was gonna answer depends on what kind of man. I'd be food for sure. 

12 days ago
12/19/10
gregbrady -

I lived right on that park for 4 yrs. my neighbor's dog got attacked by a mtn lion on a trail run (the dog was ok unfortunately), I ran into one dragging a deer across the trail and I also found a den right behind my house all in that same park.

some kind of mtn lion catnip must grow naturally there.

Why do you hate his dog?

12 days ago
4/27/14

I'm still trying to figure out how he "suffocated" the cat - pinched it's mouth and nose shut? Was there a big pillow lying on the side of the trail?

12 days ago
11/17/10
The Stewed Owl -

I'm still trying to figure out how he "suffocated" the cat - pinched it's mouth and nose shut? Was there a big pillow lying on the side of the trail?

a RNC or guilotine can suffocate someone or an animal

12 days ago
1/1/01

Mata leon.

12 days ago
1/14/16

Mounted rape choke with two hands and locked out arms is my guess. A trained fighter would have extreme difficulty RNCing a large cat, an untrained schlub would have zero chance. No way he smothered it with any part of his body. Once he got on top the lion would turn and fight off it's back. All cats do this. He likely received lots of scratches while it struggled but the cat wouldnt be strong enough to break that choke from it's back if the guy gritted his teeth and leaned on it.

12 days ago
9/27/18

One of my fantasies was to fight a Grizzly with a Katana...

Everynight before falling asleep I would lay in bed and think of  game plans and techniques to fight a Grizzly with a Katana..

Im 95% positive Id win

12 days ago
4/21/10
The Stewed Owl -

The rumor now from one article is that the guy is "highly trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu." I certainly hope so, that would be fucking badass. 

12 days ago
4/21/10
Icy Mike -

Mounted rape choke with two hands and locked out arms is my guess. A trained fighter would have extreme difficulty RNCing a large cat, an untrained schlub would have zero chance. No way he smothered it with any part of his body. Once he got on top the lion would turn and fight off it's back. All cats do this. He likely received lots of scratches while it struggled but the cat wouldnt be strong enough to break that choke from it's back if the guy gritted his teeth and leaned on it.

RNC but you would have to get your hooks in because cat would demolish your arms by kicking with its rear feet and you'd need to block those kicks. 

12 days ago
11/17/10

those signs they post at trailheads about having to "fight for your life" if you get attacked by a mountain lion always bug me out when im out there

phuckles, based on your reccomendation, i hit up a trail at one of those parks closer to Denver before sunrise

i was all packed and ready then i saw one of those mountain lion signs at the trail head

i fucking chickened out, drove around until the sun came out then started my hike LOL

12 days ago
4/21/10
In Limbo -

those signs they post at trailheads about having to "fight for your life" if you get attacked by a mountain lion always bug me out when im out there

phuckles, based on your reccomendation, i hit up a trail at one of those parks closer to Denver before sunrise

i was all packed and ready then i saw one of those mountain lion signs at the trail head

i fucking chickened out, drove around until the sun came out then started my hike LOL

LMFAO. Which trail? Dude, I have lived here since the day I was born, that is 35 years. I am outdoors all the fucking time. I have never seen a mountain lion. You are safe bro lol. 

12 days ago
11/17/10
Phuckles -
In Limbo -

LMFAO. Which trail? Dude, I have lived here since the day I was born, that is 35 years. I am outdoors all the fucking time. I have never seen a mountain lion. You are safe bro lol. 

Golden Gate Canyon State Park

i forgot which exact trail though

12 days ago
4/21/10
In Limbo -
Phuckles -
In Limbo -

Golden Gate Canyon State Park

i forgot which exact trail though

That's funny. There are definitely cats in the area but your chances of being attacked are like 1 in a billion or some crazy shit. There have only been 20 fatal mountain lion attacks in the entire United States in the last 100 years. It is seriously incredibly rare for something like this to happen. In Colorado since 1990, the last 28 years, there have been 16 attacks that resulted in injury and 3 fatalities. Basically, you are not getting attacked by a cat. tens of thousands of people are in the woods with the cats every day and this almost never happens. 

pussy 

:)

12 days ago
8/31/10
The Stewed Owl -

There was a guy not far from me up in Chino Valley who was camping with his family and dog who used a skillet to beat a rabid mountain lion that attacked his dog:

According to The (Prescott, Ariz.) Daily Courier, Brandon Arnold, 24, was camping with his girlfriend, Tessa Gerdes, and seven other friends -- including three children -- early in the morning on May 4 in the Tonto National Forest when a mountain lion attacked Arnold's dog, Apollo, a 90-pound lab-pit bull mix.

Arnold's friend, Donald Jones, grabbed the cougar by the neck thinking it was another camper's dog, then (wisely) let go once he realized what he had grabbed. The puma high-tailed it into the woods, with Apollo giving chase, so Arnold and Jones gave chase with whatever weapons they could grab; Arnold grabbed a cast-iron frying pan, and Jones grabbed a table.

Arnold reached the animals first, and once he got a clear swing, he took it, smacking the cat in the head.

"The first time I had a clear shot I just swung the pan and hit him right on the head," Arnold told The Daily Courier. "It was like a cartoon -- he just kind of stopped and I hit him again. He got stiff and fell over."

Arnold walloped the stunned cougar again, knocking it to the ground, then popped it several more times for good measure before another friend shot it a couple times -- just to be sure.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department reported Monday that the cougar tested positive for rabies. Luckily, none of the campers were scratched or bitten. Apollo suffered a few wounds, but thankfully had his rabies shots and should be released after a 45-day quarantine.

Looks like he just returned from an afternoon at Jesse Pinkman's!

Edited: 12 days ago
11/17/10
sgotwalks -
The Stewed Owl -

Looks like he just returned from an afternoon at Jesse Pinkman's!

was going to say the same thing

i can imagine him delivering rapid, successive blows to the puma with a cast iron pan like a maniac

he was "the first" to reach the running puma".....before the dog with 4 legs, while holding a cast iron pan....well yeah....look at his eyes!

his QUICK reflexes saved his dog's life

12 days ago
4/27/14
Phuckles - 
The Stewed Owl -

The rumor now from one article is that the guy is "highly trained in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu." I certainly hope so, that would be fucking badass. 

Mata Montanha Leao?