OtherGround Forums Vice News Report From Evergreen State College

8 days ago
10/24/15

If You Think Campus Free Speech Is No Big Deal, Watch This Shocking Vice News Report From Evergreen State College

http://reason.com/blog/2017/06/17/if-you-think-campus-free-speech-is-no-bi

Michael Moynihan finds students scared to express "nuanced" ideas, a progressive professor demonized as a racist, protesters mocking "free speech", and a college president who cannot rule out that he might be a white supremacist

Are you one of those people who suspects that all the brouhaha over campus free speech outrages, no matter how individually insane the stories, might be exaggerated in the aggregate when it comes to prevalence and effect? It's OK—I am one of those people, despite writing about the subject on occasion and reading all the fine work done at Reason by Robby Soave and other colleagues.

Or I should say, I was one of those people, before watching Thursday's Vice News segment from Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, where (as Ben Haller has written here previously) things have gone pear-shaped ever since a lone white professor refused to stay home during an activist "Day of Absence" for those with pallid skin pigment. Vice News correspondent (and former Reasoner/current Fifth ColumnistMichael Moynihan visited the embattled campus to query the antagonists in the controversy, and the results are stunning, infuriating, bananas. I have often wondered what it would be like to capture people in the midst of an ideological re-education exercise; now I wonder no more:

8 days ago
10/24/15

8 days ago
4/9/10
Dissident -

Lol wtf is this?

8 days ago
1/4/14
NerveBlock - 
Dissident -

Lol wtf is this?

It sure as hell ain't West Side Story.
8 days ago
8/15/07
I feel like everyone in that pic has had at least one of those baseball bats inside them at some point or another.
8 days ago
4/18/01
I am the black guy's gloves.
8 days ago
5/18/17
The grinch could probably get it.
8 days ago
1/18/16
Pic is exactly what I expected.
8 days ago
1/22/07

Washington resident here-- fucking horrified that my tax dollars are paying for this nonsense

8 days ago
4/18/01
check out Conan O'Bigtits
8 days ago
7/16/09
4later
8 days ago
12/2/05
whoabro -

Washington resident here-- fucking horrified that my tax dollars are paying for this nonsense

Same. I didn't even realize this place was in the state when I posted the original video.
8 days ago
11/9/05
whoabro -

I felt that way before this story blew up. Place has always been a joke.

8 days ago
7/27/07
Dissident - 

This group of shit heads shouldn't feel bold enough to harass or intimidate anyone. They need a dose of reality asap.
8 days ago
1/1/01
In
8 days ago
10/16/10
And you wonder why they're so angry. lol

8 days ago
1/1/01
You know it's getting bad when even Vice is forced to publish a critical report...
8 days ago
11/9/10

This is what happens when people who have never experienced actual racism think they know what racism is. Demanding a day of segregation is absurd and in itself RACIST. These fucking idiots are so horrified by racism their solution to it is fucking racism! Seriously these far left people have become everything they supposedly hate fascists and racists.

7 days ago
6/4/06
Weirdos and misfits unite for a fictitious cause to engage in a mutual exchange of ignorance.
7 days ago
4/20/02

The school's average SAT scores indicate these people may have trouble with higher-level thinking.

7 days ago
2/16/04
That bat is aerodynamically designed to maximize Lamar's limp wristwd swinging style.
7 days ago
12/19/10

That professor is considered alt left everywhere else in this country except there where he is labeled alt right.  Sounds like a communist school run by the students.  Think like us or fuck off

7 days ago
4/20/02
Dissident -

Apparently, the Baseball Furies have had trouble recruiting good members since they got their asses kicked by the Warriors.

7 days ago
12/17/06
Hammerstein -
NerveBlock - 
Dissident -

Lol wtf is this?

It sure as hell ain't West Side Story.
Literal lol
7 days ago
12/17/06
invalid - check out Conan O'Bigtits
Jesus fuck this is too much