OtherGround Forums WTFF is with bartenders?

4/15/18 2:40 PM
6/6/17

So me and the girl go to Pappisitos last night.  For those who don't know, its a super popular Tex-Mex place here in Houston, probably among other places.  Anyways, the wait for a table is long.  I think no big deal, I'll just get a beer at the bar.  But the bar is full - every seat is taken.  So I'm behind someone, waving at the bartender, trying to speak up to get their attention, but its like they totally ignore someone who is not sitting at the bar.  And it wasn't just me - there were like 3 other people trying to get drinks as well, all standing behind someone and trying to get the bartenders' (yes there were a few) attention to buy a drink.  But no luck.

I've noticed this many times elsewhere - very common occurance.  WTF is wrong with these bartenders?  They are causing the place to lose out on sales big time.  If I were an owner I would shit can them.  Do they get busy and just ignore everyone not sitting at the bar to try not to get overwhelmed?  Just freaking weird.

Thanks.

4/15/18 3:01 PM
6/17/11
Homeslice - 

So me and the girl go to Pappisitos last night.  For those who don't know, its a super popular Tex-Mex place here in Houston, probably among other places.  Anyways, the wait for a table is long.  I think no big deal, I'll just get a beer at the bar.  But the bar is full - every seat is taken.  So I'm behind someone, waving at the bartender, trying to speak up to get their attention, but its like they totally ignore someone who is not sitting at the bar.  And it wasn't just me - there were like 3 other people trying to get drinks as well, all standing behind someone and trying to get the bartenders' (yes there were a few) attention to buy a drink.  But no luck.

I've noticed this many times elsewhere - very common occurance.  WTF is wrong with these bartenders?  They are causing the place to lose out on sales big time.  If I were an owner I would shit can them.  Do they get busy and just ignore everyone not sitting at the bar to try not to get overwhelmed?  Just freaking weird.

Thanks.

If you are waiting a time you feel is inordinate for a drink at every single place you go, your expectations for service might be a bit askew. If the bar is full, you are going to have to wait, walking right up and and immediately flapping your arms like you're having a seizure isn't going to help the situation. Most likely, they've seen you approach and put you in line by order of arrival already.
4/15/18 3:16 PM
5/22/16
Homeslice -

Thanks.

I worked behind a bar for almost 20 years. 

You sound like a bartenders least favorite type of customer.  They saw you.  Every time you waved your arms and acted like a douche you probably went to the end of the line they had in their head. 

4/15/18 3:18 PM
6/6/17

So if they saw me (and the two other guys not getting served), why not just indicate same?  Why not just put up a finger to say one second?  Why play too cool for schoool and pretent that you don't see?  Just seems silly.

Thanks.

4/15/18 3:21 PM
8/10/11
Homeslice -

Thanks.

As a former bartender there quickest way for me to ignore you is to flap your arms around. 

Youwant quick service? Go to the service bar and not cram up behind someone trying to enjoy a meal. Utilize eye contact. 

There guests eating at the bar do take precedence over you. They're eating. When you're eating at the bar you will take precedence over the jackass behind you.

You're expectations are way off. That bartender may have things to do before they can reach the second level. As a bartender I'm not ruining a person's meal so you can reach over them to get a beer.

4/15/18 3:28 PM
6/17/11
Homeslice - 

So if they saw me (and the two other guys not getting served), why not just indicate same?  Why not just put up a finger to say one second?  Why play too cool for schoool and pretent that you don't see?  Just seems silly.

Thanks.

I agree there should be some kind of acknowledgement given at some point, but you have to be reasonable about the time frame and give them a chance, especially if they are clearly fulfilling other orders, You are never waiting as long as you think you are, have some patience.
4/15/18 3:33 PM
4/20/17

so pretty much you got the same treatment you get here... 

ignored and hope you'll go away. lol

4/15/18 3:34 PM
10/31/11

Bartenders tend to get offended super easily. If you flap your arms around, raise your hand at them, yell out to them, and especially if you knock your empty glass on the bar or raise it in the air and point at it, you’re going to wait for a drink. They’re in full control of who gets served and how quick they get served, so they take advantage of it. If they already have a few regulars at the bar who tip really well, they don’t give a shit about you. Sure, some of them just suck, but most of them notice you and if you make a wrong move, they’ll make you wait. 

4/15/18 3:44 PM
5/22/16
Homeslice -

Thanks.

Because once someone is acknowledged they get very impatient. 

“I just want a drink” is the only thought going through their minds. Along with the other 200 people there.  The other 200 people were actually there before you though. 

Some bartenders just suck at their jobs. But it’s not as simple as you’d think. 

4/15/18 3:52 PM
6/6/17
KCCII - 
Homeslice -

Thanks.

As a former bartender there quickest way for me to ignore you is to flap your arms around. 

Youwant quick service? Go to the service bar and not cram up behind someone trying to enjoy a meal. Utilize eye contact. 

There guests eating at the bar do take precedence over you. They're eating. When you're eating at the bar you will take precedence over the jackass behind you.

You're expectations are way off. That bartender may have things to do before they can reach the second level. As a bartender I'm not ruining a person's meal so you can reach over them to get a beer.

For the most part that makes sense KCCII.  But they REFUSED to make eye contact, and there was no service bar.  But I get respecting the people eating there.  They NEED a service bar.  That way when the line got long they could say "ok, need to hire more bartenders".

4/15/18 3:52 PM
6/6/17
densefog - 

so pretty much you got the same treatment you get here... 

ignored and hope you'll go away. lol

You literally suck dick.

4/15/18 3:54 PM
6/6/17
Mynewscreenname - 
Homeslice -

Thanks.

“I just want a drink” is the only thought going through their minds. Along with the other 200 people there.  The other 200 people were actually there before you though. 

Hmmmm why would someone get impatient once their acknowledged?  Its the fact that they are NOT acknowledging that is so weird.  I get it, its crowded, it might take several minutes or even longer to get a drink.  I'm ok with that.  If I see the bartener acknolwedge one person ahead of me, then another person, etc., then me, and I see them going down the list pouring drinks, I know that they are doing all they can do it just takes time.  Its just completely ignoring 3+ people that are just trying to place drink orders to get in line that just seems weird.

4/15/18 4:03 PM
1/12/10

They’re like cats. You have to earn their attention and even then, it’s for their own benefit. 

ESPECIALLY if you aren’t going to be sitting at the bar and tipping them.  I have worked with numerous bartenders that straight up say they don’t care about people waiting for a table or drinks for a server to take to their table. 

4/15/18 4:04 PM
4/17/13

I used to bartend. Not acknowledging you is something we do on purpose. If we stopped to acknowledge you 9/10 people immediately try to initiate their order, in which case we have to tell you we will have to come back to you or just walk away from you if it is that busy. Walking away from customers mid-order usually pisses them off more than not acknowledging them until we are ready to take their order. Those micro exchanges take up alot of time if you consider we would have to stop and explain that to someone every 2 minutes. Easier to ignore you until it's your turn to have our attention. Not only that, but it gives you time to decide. I hated when I let people wait for 2 minutes then got to them and they went all "durrrrr Idk what I want... Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm".

4/15/18 4:13 PM
6/17/11
Sogflop - 

I used to bartend. Not acknowledging you is something we do on purpose. If we stopped to acknowledge you 9/10 people immediately try to initiate their order, in which case we have to tell you we will have to come back to you or just walk away from you if it is that busy. Walking away from customers mid-order usually pisses them off more than not acknowledging them until we are ready to take their order. Those micro exchanges take up alot of time if you consider we would have to stop and explain that to someone every 2 minutes. Easier to ignore you until it's your turn to have our attention. Not only that, but it gives you time to decide. I hated when I let people wait for 2 minutes then got to them and they went all "durrrrr Idk what I want... Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm".

My favorite is the bro shouting you down incessantly until you get to him, then he turns to his buddies as asks them what they want. This is why lines form, now I have to wait for them to decide or I walk away to take someone's order who has their shit together, then that pisses of broseph. We are all in this together, have your order ready and your money out and that stops alot of wasted time where I have to wait for you instead of continuing on with my drink slinging.
4/15/18 4:15 PM
7/13/17
Homeslice -

Thanks.

Always have a twenty in your hand. 

4/15/18 4:18 PM
5/22/16

I have worked behind a bar at least every summer for the last 20 years. I don’t think I’m gonna do it this season. I don’t miss that shit at all. 

4/15/18 4:21 PM
1/1/01
McSurly - 
Homeslice - 

Thanks.

If you are waiting a time you feel is inordinate for a drink at every single place you go, your expectations for service might be a bit askew. If the bar is full, you are going to have to wait, walking right up and and immediately flapping your arms like you're having a seizure isn't going to help the situation. Most likely, they've seen you approach and put you in line by order of arrival already.

I work with large numbers of the public as well and will just say this:

I see, internally categorize, and sort people in order, long before they're even aware that I've seen them. But by the time they approach, many of them come at me with their own personal perception of where they are in the pecking order and what needs to be done for them and when. It's hilarious. And because there are large numbers of people, you cannot stop and explain everything to them a thousand times a day, so you have to just basically ignore them and get to them in the normal order of things. And you can see them start to get huffy, impatient, and butt-hurt in the process. So at least that makes it all worthwhile.
4/15/18 4:41 PM
8/10/11
Homeslice -
Mynewscreenname - 
Homeslice -

Thanks.

Hmmmm why would someone get impatient once their acknowledged?  Its the fact that they are NOT acknowledging that is so weird.  I get it, its crowded, it might take several minutes or even longer to get a drink.  I'm ok with that.  If I see the bartener acknolwedge one person ahead of me, then another person, etc., then me, and I see them going down the list pouring drinks, I know that they are doing all they can do it just takes time.  Its just completely ignoring 3+ people that are just trying to place drink orders to get in line that just seems weird.

Because you think of you're acknowledged it's your turn. In reality I could be building several drinks and if I look at you you're going to just start asking me what beers we have even though there's a list less than 10 feet from you.

Can't tell you how many times it took me to realize this. 

Do me a favor, look at the time, then sit still without talking for what you think is 60 seconds. Then look at the time. Guarantee you think 60 seconds is way longer than it is.

4/15/18 4:56 PM
12/24/10

Bartenders  can be some of the biggest douchebags on earth. I managed the bar at a major nightclub 90,s early 2000's. The arrogance they would throw at clients was pathetic. I can care less if a patron is waiving there arms - suck it up sell the drink and ring. They made up to a $1,000 cash for the night and the the resume's  of people wanting their jobs was 100+ deep. Your job is to sell not act like its a privilege to get served by you. I imagine OP  is that guy but if he is paying and not doing anything that warrants removal serve him his dam drink.

Edited: 4/15/18 5:04 PM
10/11/05
Here's the piece of the puzzle none of the bartenders here are articulating: Anyone who is expressing any level of impatience is indicating they aren't going to tip well if at all.

Gonna guess from your online persona that your & other behavior also impart that information regardless.
4/15/18 5:17 PM
12/6/16

Lol I've never understood the mentality of bartenders that do what OP is saying.

It just reeks of some sort of weird superiority complex.  I get what they're saying about lines forming and people being rude.  However, it's also rude to ignore people and just glance over the fact that no ones wants to be standing around like a jackass trying to order a drink while the bartender ignores them because its just something they do.

It's also weird because this usually doesn't happen in most other types of businesses.

4/15/18 5:19 PM
12/6/16
phatcat -

Bartenders  can be some of the biggest douchebags on earth. I managed the bar at a major nightclub 90,s early 2000's. The arrogance they would throw at clients was pathetic. I can care less if a patron is waiving there arms - suck it up sell the drink and ring. They made up to a $1,000 cash for the night and the the resume's  of people wanting their jobs was 100+ deep. Your job is to sell not act like its a privilege to get served by you. I imagine OP  is that guy but if he is paying and not doing anything that warrants removal serve him his dam drink.

This.

4/15/18 6:47 PM
8/10/11
CharlesMartel -

Lol I've never understood the mentality of bartenders that do what OP is saying.

It just reeks of some sort of weird superiority complex.  I get what they're saying about lines forming and people being rude.  However, it's also rude to ignore people and just glance over the fact that no ones wants to be standing around like a jackass trying to order a drink while the bartender ignores them because its just something they do.

It's also weird because this usually doesn't happen in most other types of businesses.

You don't think rude people get worse service in other industries?

4/15/18 6:57 PM
10/11/05
On a side note, I have worked plenty of venues where bartenders ignoring borderline customers isn't just SOP, it's company policy.