OtherGround Forums are you supposed to tip on carryout?

12 days ago
8/29/17

after reading this story

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5378181/Outback-Steakhouse-waitress-fired-tip-complaint.html#comments

now i'm wondering.  i pride myself in tipping well but carryout seems stupid

12 days ago
2/4/07
No tip on carryout.
12 days ago
6/19/10

FRAT for this thread:

servers will say they “wasting” time on pickup orders and could be making more in their dine in customers. Therefore, it’s their right to a tip. 

Rationale people will say I’m not getting service and takeout service is less service than a Subway. Fuck tipping. 

Some OGer will brag about how he tips 25-35% no matter what. Will go on to say you shouldn’t eat out if you can do the same. 

The end. 

12 days ago
1/7/09

I'll leave a dollar or two sometimes

12 days ago
8/29/17

now that I think about it, 700+ dollars worth of food does take a long ass time to prepare / package up.  time that could be spent on in house tables that tip.  if i ever have a HUGE carryout i will tip but not for a 2 person meal

12 days ago
10/11/05
I tip a couple bucks for carryout for places I regularly use. It pays off every now & then. Answer to "Supposed to" is "no."
12 days ago
2/5/05

$2

12 days ago
11/3/15

I tip a few bucks on take out. 

12 days ago
9/8/11

I hate it when the machine asks for a tip when ordering. Like wtf is that? Will the quality of my food suffer if I dont tip in advance? Can I have a refund if my experience is shit?

12 days ago
6/17/11
Sandy Pantz - No tip on carryout.

12 days ago
6/17/11

'An Outback Steakhouse server has been fired after complaining on Facebook that a church group left her no tip on a $735 carry-out order.'

Ok ... yes to tipping HERE.

Also, she lives right by me imma try to have sex with her feet brb

12 days ago
1/20/08
BarkLikeADog - I tip a couple bucks for carryout for places I regularly use. It pays off every now & then. Answer to "Supposed to" is "no."

This

12 days ago
6/17/11

oh shit shes a meatbomb with a kid and ... some guy?

nvm

12 days ago
11/5/03

I eat a lot of carryout from both the places by my work and where I live. I always tip on those orders. Not always as much as I do if I sat down, but I do it. I've noticed over time that my orders now contain more food and even free things I didn't ask for. If you become known as a good customer, it gets noticed. 

12 days ago
11/30/07

I do if I like the place and am there often. 

12 days ago
2/1/13

No way

12 days ago
5/22/16

I’ve been in he service industry for 20 years. Here’s how it works. 

Tipping is not mandatory. I have no problem with staff being fired for complaining about a bad tip. Take it up with the manager, not the customer.  Some people don’t tip. It evens out with the good tippers. Part of the job. 

But...

Servers are taxed on their sales. Not their tips. So if the bill is 10 dollars they’ll be taxed on 1.20 to 1.80 of income depending on how the place is run.  So take that into consideration. 

As far as “going out of their way”. That’s kinda the job, so they can stfu.  They do typically make 2.35 an hour or somewhere on that neighborhood. So leaving a dollar or two is considerate. But should not be expected at all. 

Tipping a full 15-20 percent is kinda crazy.  I do. But I’ve been in the business for a while and tip too much to begin with. I look at it like karma, but over tipping is kinda silly unless you have money to burn. 

12 days ago
11/21/15

I usually tip a couple bucks.  It means nothing to me, but is meaningful to the server.

12 days ago
11/15/07

No tip for carryout. No tip at a buffet.

12 days ago
5/22/16
mihow -

'An Outback Steakhouse server has been fired after complaining on Facebook that a church group left her no tip on a $735 carry-out order.'

Ok ... yes to tipping HERE.

Also, she lives right by me imma try to have sex with her feet brb

I didn’t read the article. On a 735 dollar order?  Not tipping is absolutely shitty. The server (if doing it alone) spent 15-30 minutes putting that together. 

Theyll also be taxed on around around 100 dollars worth of income. They just cost the server 15 dollars or so. 

Edited: 12 days ago
11/19/09

Fuck no

12 days ago
12/9/05

Usually no but as others have said, on an order that size then yes - tip.

It’s even more strange that a Church group couldn’t be bothered to tip, I would love to sit down with the person who handled that decision and quiz them on their thought process.

Edited: 12 days ago
1/26/12

No tip on carryout, but should always tip at least a small amount when dining in. Servers have to tip out the kitchen at the end of the night, so if tables don't tip them they end up paying the kitchen with their own money. 

12 days ago
10/16/07
I tip a few dollars if the food is brought to my car(sounds like that's the case here) but if I go in and get it, no.
12 days ago
5/22/16
Flyers179 -

Usually no but as others have said, on an order that size then yes - tip.

It’s even more strange that a Church group couldn’t be bothered to tip, I would love to sit down with the person who handled that decision and quiz them on their thought process.

Believe it or not church groups and Sunday afternoon with the church crowd are the worst tippers. I’m in the Bible Belt. So maybe it’s worse here?  

My favorite is when you get tipped with a card on how to be “saved”. Yes, I’ve seen it dozens of not hundreds of times over the years.  Not so much to me because I tend bar. But to servers.  No tip at all. But a pamphlet or card on how to be saved.