UnderGround Forums Aldo has 9 title defenses

10 days ago
1/1/01
In all this title defense talk, lets not forget that Aldo defended his WEC title twice before the div was transferred to the UFC. 9 defenses ties him with GSP.
10 days ago
9/19/16

Bro... 

we aren't supposed to talk about him. Conor is our guy now. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. 

10 days ago
3/7/07

For whatever reason Aldo is always underrated. 

10 days ago
1/1/01
FlowWithTheGo - 

For whatever reason Aldo is always underrated. 

All parts due to his not speaking English, quiet/dry personality (to most, I like it), and his finishing rate dropping when he hit the UFC. But his accomplishments should speak for itself as well as his #s.

Stylistically, I do wish he evolved his game more, from his striking to wrestling, ground....but this is about the fact that he has 9 defenses in actuality which ties him with GSP.
10 days ago
1/16/12

Sadly MMA fans only remember the present only. Aldo fought some fucking high caliber fighters but agree with you Wasa-B his game never evolved but he was already really good at everything except offensive wrestling at times 

10 days ago
4/3/14

Aldo is an underrated Hero

10 days ago
1/1/01

Greatest takedown defense of all time. 

10 days ago
5/8/15

His biggest fuck up was never learning english, dude seemed like a good shit talker but nobody can understand him. Look in the UFC now, it's almost rare to find a brazillian (or anyone for that matter) that doesn't speak english. Even Ngannou and fucking Habib learned it and they couldn't speak a word of it.

10 days ago
4/19/17
He was pretty good until our Lord and savior Conor showed us the way. In Conor We Trust.
10 days ago
9/12/17
Conor couldn't even get 1 title defense with that belt.
10 days ago
2/17/03
Aldo's top wins are on par with anybody's:

Frankie x 2, Mendes x 2, Faber.
10 days ago
7/18/11

I don't think he was ever underrated, but his best days are behind him and his fights have been few and far between the last few years. That and Conor completely eclipsed him. It happens. 

10 days ago
1/1/15
Lights Out Lurker - He was pretty good until our Lord and savior Conor showed us the way. In Conor We Trust.
Conor Bless You!
10 days ago
1/1/01
I think people still put him in GOAT convos, as they should, but just like I forgot about Anderson's unofficial title defense vs Lutter, a lot of people seem to forget about Aldo's 2 defenses in the WEC.

So Anderson should still be tied with DJ at 11 or whatever followed by GSP and Aldo tied at 9. Jones I believe at 8. Everyone knows defending titles are much more difficult than winning them. Ask every single champ and I guarantee they will all concur.

When people are gunning for you instead of you gunning for them, when you are losing your motivation, when you are gonna have an off/uninspired night, when everyone is studying you, when you take out contender after contender as the champ, that is different than just going on a normal win streak.
10 days ago
5/18/12

He is the best featherweight MMAist to date, best champion, longest reign.

Holloway might surpass him but it's a long road. 

10 days ago
3/7/08
Always enjoy watching Aldo fight.
10 days ago
9/27/03

Still think he's better than Conor 

10 days ago
1/1/01
Suicidalforlife - 

Holloway's had quite the streak, like Ferguson, and better opposition than Ferguson so far but like I said above, its one thing to run thru the opposition on the way up, its another to do it while the champ and Holloway has expressed wanting to clean it out. To be fair, Holloway has gone thru most of the best opposition on his way up save Edgar (happening next) and Mendes (on suspension).

Also, how long until Holloway can stay at FW? He's super tall and still quite young, he could probably frame up to LW in the next few years?
10 days ago
1/1/01
Suicidalforlife - 

Holloway's had quite the streak, like Ferguson, and better opposition than Ferguson so far but like I said above, its one thing to run thru the opposition on the way up, its another to do it while the champ and Holloway has expressed wanting to clean it out. To be fair, Holloway has gone thru most of the best opposition on his way up save Edgar (happening next) and Mendes (on suspension).

Also, how long until Holloway can stay at FW? He's super tall and still quite young, he could probably frame up to LW in the next few years?
10 days ago
1/1/01
Suicidalforlife - 

10 days ago
10/21/10
I think TKZ had his number if it wasn't for his dislocated shoulder
10 days ago
1/1/01
Aldo also had 2 defenses in which he was either sick (Hominick, on antibiotics) or got injured in fight (TKZ) and toughed it thru both to win. That's what champs do, find ways to win no matter what. Like Whittaker showed his mettle against Romero with his injury but its one thing to do that in your title shot vs when you got 6 defenses under your belt already.

10 days ago
1/1/01
try2catch32 - I think TKZ had his number if it wasn't for his dislocated shoulder

Aldo fought TKZ on 1 foot. Can you actually honestly think that TKZ has a healthy Aldo's #?
10 days ago
5/18/12
Wasa-B -
Suicidalforlife - 

It is very impressive, no doubt it's harder to be the man taking on all contenders than the guy looking up, motivation wise especially.

The Edgar fight will be interesting and Frankies last chance at FW gold I think.

With the way Max looks to be improving fight to fight I cant see a lot of guys giving him too much trouble.

Mendes again would be interesting, if he can get Max down and keep him there is the question. 

10 days ago
8/18/13

Aldo has the GOAT run of wins ever in my opinion. He's 2nd of all time under GSP for me overall