UnderGround Forums Ariel Helwani confusing: Quitting is courageous?

Edited: 8 days ago
1/1/01
I don't get it - is that the right word to use for a fighter who quits on the stool (when the doctor thinks its OK to continue)?

Ariel is saying now on the podcast that the immediate corner response to a fighter saying "I think I want out" is "I'm super proud of you" and immediately stopping the fight.

Not "fighter shaming" or whatever but is this Ariel's New York liberal sensibilities distorting reality?
8 days ago
7/7/12

Ariel is Canadian

8 days ago
1/1/01
cuttooth - 

Ariel is Canadian

Probably a distinction without a difference as far as liberal sensibilities, but OK, point taken - he's probably even MORE liberal than I thought, if that pussy Justin Tradeau is any indication of general Canadian opinions.
8 days ago
12/8/12

His name is Ariel.

8 days ago
12/28/14

What i felt he was getting at is that it takes alot of guts to admit that you are done knowing that it opens up trolls to call you a quitter. 

Everyone expects a fighter to habe a huge ego to not let them quit when they know they are hurt and thrres nothing they can do. They are physically anf mentally broke. 

I.kinda agree. If you are getting the shit kicked out of you and you know that you physically cant change that theres no point putting your health at risk.

Also she didnt say "i think im done" she told her corner she was done...and she was right. There was literally no reason for her corner to not listen to her. She had 0 chance of winning in that final round and she told them she was mentally broken. They knew she couldnt win. Idc how much they thought of her skills they knew she was done and couldnt do anything more.

They offered her no advice to help her...just told her to get back in there. Honestly the entire fight it didnt seem like her corner was helping her at all. 

Maybe im.misunderstanding though.

8 days ago
1/1/01
The entire sport of MMA is this way. Quitting is encouraged and I've heard many times it's honorable (admit the better man has won). In boxing, stay on your stool or stay down when it appears you can get up and the shame stays with you forever. In MMA some quit simply because they don't want any more and not because they can't go on. There are many warriors in MMA, but the quitting and considering it honorable is something ingrained in the culture, be it accurate or far from reality. Ariel is simply acknowledging the culture.
7 days ago
1/1/01
SinCityHustler - The entire sport of MMA is this way. Quitting is encouraged and I've heard many times it's honorable (admit the better man has won). In boxing, stay on your stool or stay down when it appears you can get up and the shame stays with you forever. In MMA some quit simply because they don't want any more and not because they can't go on. There are many warriors in MMA, but the quitting and considering it honorable is something ingrained in the culture, be it accurate or far from reality. Ariel is simply acknowledging the culture.

good points
7 days ago
1/1/01
fade2007 - 

What i felt he was getting at is that it takes alot of guts to admit that you are done knowing that it opens up trolls to call you a quitter. 

Everyone expects a fighter to habe a huge ego to not let them quit when they know they are hurt and thrres nothing they can do. They are physically anf mentally broke. 

I.kinda agree. If you are getting the shit kicked out of you and you know that you physically cant change that theres no point putting your health at risk.

Also she didnt say "i think im done" she told her corner she was done...and she was right. There was literally no reason for her corner to not listen to her. She had 0 chance of winning in that final round and she told them she was mentally broken. They knew she couldnt win. Idc how much they thought of her skills they knew she was done and couldnt do anything more.

They offered her no advice to help her...just told her to get back in there. Honestly the entire fight it didnt seem like her corner was helping her at all. 

Maybe im.misunderstanding though.

I do agree that the corner should definitely have offered her some technical advice or got her out of there.
7 days ago
2/9/17
FatBuddha - I don't get it - is that the right word to use for a fighter who quits on the stool (when the doctor thinks its OK to continue)?

Ariel is saying now on the podcast that the immediate corner response to a fighter saying "I think I want out" is "I'm super proud of you" and immediately stopping the fight.

Not "fighter shaming" or whatever but is this Ariel's New York liberal sensibilities distorting reality?

Damn New York Lib’s gonna make rules and stuff.

7 days ago
5/17/15

Ariels MMA Nasal Screeching Soapbox Hour

Edited: 7 days ago
7/15/04

Ariel is a great MMA journalist but let's be honest he is a bit of a nerd. He is pretty soft and limp wristed. He has cried multiple times on camera. 

7 days ago
2/6/15

Ariel doesn't really think about MMA like a lot of the fans / competitors. I think quitting , in the instance Raquel was trying to , would be smart not courageous. Getting into the cage obviously takes courage .  

The MMA hour is getting old imo , I try to support it because it's basically the only sort of show with that quality for MMA . Unfortunately, if there is something even remotely questionable Ariel will ask every single guest on there about it. Makes for a very boring repetitive show. 

7 days ago
1/8/15

Ariel would think quitting is courageous cause he’s a punk bitch. 

7 days ago
6/10/16

Ariel isn't a fighter and has never trained. I know what he is trying to get at but he doesn't have the same mentality as a fighter or Mma coach

7 days ago
7/10/09

Listening right now and he's coming off very annoying. He has no idea the relationship that Rocky has with her coaches and maybe they know something we don't.

6 days ago
11/12/11

Pissed me off listening to him going on and on about this

shut the fuck up and get on with the rest of the show alreadyl

6 days ago
1/5/15

Boxers quit all the time and they don't get heat for it

6 days ago
5/31/16

If only some of his uncles intelligence rubbed off on him.

6 days ago
1/24/16

That was so annoying. He knows nothing about Raquel and her coaches and I know he is a journalist but the decision to let her continue is none of his fucking business

6 days ago
4/12/11
FatBuddha -
cuttooth - 

Ariel is Canadian

Probably a distinction without a difference as far as liberal sensibilities, but OK, point taken - he's probably even MORE liberal than I thought, if that pussy Justin Tradeau is any indication of general Canadian opinions.

That pussy liberal moron doesnt speak for this Canadian. 

6 days ago
1/15/15
dinkledorf -

That was so annoying. He knows nothing about Raquel and her coaches and I know he is a journalist but the decision to let her continue is none of his fucking business

People don't want to accept the fact that Rocky is an adult who hired her coach to make a decision and he made it. If it wasn't what Rocky wanted, she can find a new coach.

If the fight should have been stopped: why aren't people calling for the head of the ref and the ringside doctor as well as the coach. They can all stop the fight.

6 days ago
11/30/07

The mermaid probably has never competed in anything athletic in his life. Why would his opinion on this mean anything? 

5 days ago
11/11/12
FatBuddha -
cuttooth - 

Ariel is Canadian

Not only Canadian, French Canadian .he's from Montreal.

5 days ago
10/15/07

I usually agree with Ariel but he came off like a giant pussy whining about this. 

5 days ago
7/11/12

Lots of tough guy egos here today.

Quiting when you're sure you won't win is the right choice.

Imagine 1000 years ago, you're leading an army into battle and over the hill appears the enermy - with 10x the number of soldiers. 

You flee and live to fight another day.