UnderGround Forums Bellator is for the hardcores

2/17/18 12:35 PM
4/15/16
Throwback fighters, Big John, Goldy, Stitch, Tournaments, Fedor, Chael on the mic, fighting for the finish, deserving title shots, and a little bit under the mainstream radar.

+

I think Coker is doing a great job for us hardcore/non-casual fans.
2/17/18 1:29 PM
5/10/07
Misaki - Throwback fighters, Big John, Goldy, Stitch, Tournaments, Fedor, Chael on the mic, fighting for the finish, deserving title shots, and a little bit under the mainstream radar.

+

I think Coker is doing a great job for us hardcore/non-casual fans.

Just don’t mention this in a public setting.

2/17/18 3:07 PM
1/1/01
Crooklyn - 

Except the ratings are tanking and they're scrambling hard to show a profit.

how do they even make $$$$?
2/17/18 3:20 PM
1/1/01
If the hardcores like has-beens.
2/17/18 3:22 PM
4/3/16
tenchu - If the hardcores like has-beens.

Lol @ tenchu 

2/17/18 3:43 PM
10/14/07
Crooklyn - 

Paramount/Viacom can handle that since some of the other shows on that network is making them money.

Production for Belator is clearly superior to the UFC, now they just need that talent.
2/17/18 3:51 PM
4/8/07

I watch it and i want it to improve and succeed, but it has not been very good lately.

2/17/18 3:51 PM
10/29/12
Crooklyn -

That’s 100% because Bellator is for the hardcores, bruh. 

few people actually like MMA. Some people like “UFC” and a then a little bit more like specific fighters. 

You’re business model is going to fail if you have to rely on the “hardcore fans”

2/17/18 3:55 PM
1/16/12

they do a horrible job marketing and there west coast fights are on tape delay. I watched yesterday's bellator and enjoyed it. The production and uniqueness in today's market is a breath of fresh air.

However they can't get viewers in because truth be told a lot of the fighters they're signing are fighters that hardcore fans only know of right now. Yes even roy nelson; he's forgotten.

Casuals forget the next day about who you are these days

2/17/18 4:25 PM
1/16/12
mada -

I think the Bellator and UFC both are watered down and shitty. Too many shows, not enough talent to fill the slots. I personally hate WMMA and it’s pushed on us for the reason I mentioned above. To me, the sport is less interesting than its previously been. There are certainly still some great fights, but I only get excited for 1 or 2 cards a year. 8-10 years ago I was excited for almost every card. Maybe I’m just getting burnt out, but I really think the product just isn’t as exciting.

i feel the same. The product is black and white. It's harder to build a name these days when you are on your own when it comes to promotion.

Reebok fucked a lot of things up. UFC forgot its a combat sport and isn't the same as the nfl or nba. So now we basically just has the ufc team in every fight the clothes they're forced to wear

Cards just don't have any hype to them or aren't critical to rankings or MMA (with exception of a fights). They just can't build hype off anyone anymore or even try. You're no longer buying or viewing a card for the fighters but it seems like you're just viewing the UFC team as a whole. 

i use to skip out on dates and going out just to watch WEC, SF & UFC 

2/17/18 7:40 PM
10/5/17

You cant even watch bellator live in Australia. Not on pay tv or free to air.

2/17/18 7:44 PM
1/1/01
UFCs format is staler than month old bread saaaaame format show after show They can learn a lot from Bellators format which is far superior
2/17/18 9:24 PM
10/14/07
Crooklyn - 

Bellator spends big money on UFC names then puts them on the shelf. Why do you think that is? Every "name" fighter over there is worried about getting enough fights. Bellator 193 didn't even bust 500K viewers. Them not being able to make a decent offer to arguably the best commentator in the sport, who, by his own admission, wasn't trying to take them to the cleaners, is also telling. They're conducting interviews via Skype and passing them off as though they were part of a traditional press tour. They're trying to make $250 to show/$250 to win contracts. The writing is definitely on the wall. But sure, the hardcores will keep them afloat now that they're on a network with an obscure name that they don't recognize. Absofuckinlutely.

Acutally Paramount network's name ID is pretty strong (kinda shocked at how they were able to re-brand so easily).

Bellator needs to be re-branded as well. Question is will Viacom spend the kinda of money to do it thou.
2/17/18 9:32 PM
2/14/11
sassen -

You cant even watch bellator live in Australia. Not on pay tv or free to air.

Nor in the U.K. They’re bush league. 

2/17/18 9:36 PM
11/1/03

They have had some terrible cards and the aging star business model is not working well.

2/17/18 9:54 PM
9/27/15
WattMell - Their main events are seriously cursed. 9/10 a Bellator main event ends up being a shit show. This HW tourney fucking sucks so far.

It really does..so far the HW tourney looks like a senior citizen retirement tourney..2 fighters in Rampage and Nelson looked like they didn't even train for it
2/18/18 1:06 AM
1/1/01
mada -

I think the Bellator and UFC both are watered down and shitty. Too many shows, not enough talent to fill the slots. I personally hate WMMA and it’s pushed on us for the reason I mentioned above. To me, the sport is less interesting than its previously been. There are certainly still some great fights, but I only get excited for 1 or 2 cards a year. 8-10 years ago I was excited for almost every card. Maybe I’m just getting burnt out, but I really think the product just isn’t as exciting.

This about sums it up for me. 

2/18/18 3:53 AM
3/30/14
Acidic -

they do a horrible job marketing and there west coast fights are on tape delay. I watched yesterday's bellator and enjoyed it. The production and uniqueness in today's market is a breath of fresh air.

However they can't get viewers in because truth be told a lot of the fighters they're signing are fighters that hardcore fans only know of right now. Yes even roy nelson; he's forgotten.

Casuals forget the next day about who you are these days

If they had events once a month, cut some fat and put on great shows with actual promo leading up to them I could see them getting huge

Unfortunately they see to be doing the opposite

2/18/18 4:05 AM
7/28/11

http://www.bellator.com/international

So apparently you can watch Bellator in Burundi, Afghanistan and fucking SYRIA !

But not in Germany or the UK ?

2/18/18 5:42 PM
1/16/12
Crooklyn -

Bellator just cut all these fighters:

The following fighters are no longer under contract with Bellator: LC Davis, Steve Garcia, Steve Kozola, Kendall Grove, Georgi Karakhanyan, Fernando Gonzalez, Kevin Casey, Francisco France, Mike Rhodes, Francis Carmont, Phillipe Lins, Ben Reiter, and Alexis Dufresne

Now most, if not all deserved pink slips, I think it's telling that a promotion with such shallow divisions cut this many fighters in one shot.

Damn they really cut Georgi? He brings the fire and is viscious in almost all his fights. Very odd decision. I hope he picks some wins outside & the UFC picks him up

2/18/18 6:49 PM
8/2/11

I challenge said 'hardcores' to vote with their dollars and pay for the Bellator PPVs then.

I bet OP and other UFC haters have never done it and never will.

I support Bellator and hope they do well but to suggest their product is anywhere near the UFC is just blind UFC negging and ridiculous

2/18/18 7:02 PM
10/31/15
Johnny Ringo -
mada -

This about sums it up for me. 

And me
2/18/18 7:07 PM
4/8/07
Crooklyn - 

Add in that Bellator isn't available on any streaming devices and their ridiculous tape delays (why hold a card in the UK but keep the broadcast on tape delay in the UK??????) and you have athe makings of a eulogy.

i think the money they dished out on aged UFC vets, and Fedor (how many orgs has his pay collapsed so far?), was the making of the eulogy for Bellator.  they should have invested in the up and comers, not the old and broken.

2/18/18 10:07 PM
1/1/01
wow crooklyn do u work for ufc ? because u are really negative..
2/18/18 10:26 PM
6/17/16

Bellator is bush league and boring as fuck.

They were way better under Bjorn, he actually developed some legit talent and was doing something with his own guys.

These days Bellator puts together throwback product with a lot of hype but the actual fights rarely deliver. Most of the old timer vs. old timer fights have been terrible, most of the bigger names they have brought in outside of Rory have been duds, and the first round of the heavyweight tournament was garbage. Chael is good on the mic but his fights have sucked dick since Anderson 2. If anybody thinks anything worthwhile is going to come out of the rest of the 'Heavyweight Tournament' you are deluding yourself. It might sound cool on paper but viewing the actual fights is bound to be fairly disappointing.

I'm no UFC shill but also I think you should call a spade a spade. I want Bellator to succeed, they used to put on some pretty awesome fights. This new era of hype over substance in MMA is not sustainable and it is having a bad effect accross the board. It is amazing to me that Bellator is starting to convince people they have something happening over there. It's like the UFC and Bellator have the exact opposit components right now. UFC is lacking buzz and excitement but tends to put on pretty good fights on a fairly regular basis (admittedly declining ATM) while Bellator is managing to get a bit of buzz going by trying something new (at least excitement with some hardcores, doubt they are really bringing in new eyeballs) while delivering a dogshit amateurish product that is bound to drive people away after they tune in a few times.

Somebody will figure it out again eventually here, they had it down before.