UnderGround Forums Benson - split decision...

28 days ago
12/9/02
..losses burning his soul? But didn't have an issue with a couple of bullshit split decision wins. *ahem Frankie Edgar, Gilbert Melendez ahem*
28 days ago
11/28/03

its crazy how many close fights he has had

of course his opinion is gonna lean towards himself winning though

anyone ever had a super close decision and claim the other guy won?

maybe rampage vs ninja.... but thats about it

28 days ago
12/9/02
ranier wolfcastle -

There have always been guys on the winning end that didn't feel right about it and offer or hoped for a rematch. They still collected their win bonus, but at least were a little more honest about the outcome.
28 days ago
3/6/06

Joe Lauzon, 

28 days ago
12/9/02
Pura Vida -

Joe Lauzon, 

This

Benson lost me awhile back when he deluded himself into believing his bullshit judges decisions and karma is a bitch.

Lauzon on the other hand is honest, and purple want to see him fight wether he won his last the or not.

Benson's placing to much control of his earning potential in the hands of the people that don't have to fight for it.
28 days ago
8/8/10

Benson has had so many splits (as winner and loser) but if it really is “burning his soul” why does he fight like a man determined to go to a decision?

28 days ago
2/23/12
ranier wolfcastle -

I think rampage said the same after the macida fight also
28 days ago
7/18/11

I was very glad to see that his stalling tactics didn't win him the fight.

28 days ago
9/13/14
rockwell -

Benson has had so many splits (as winner and loser) but if it really is “burning his soul” why does he fight like a man determined to go to a decision?

This.

He should actually try to finish a fight instead of putting his head near his opponents crotch "trying" for a takedown for 2+ minutes.

28 days ago
11/20/05

Benson has always been extremely boring. Not sure why this is a shock to anyone anymore. It's why the UFC didn't care if the door hit him on his way out.

28 days ago
12/9/02
Hate420 -

Benson has always been extremely boring. Not sure why this is a shock to anyone anymore. It's why the UFC didn't care if the door hit him on his way out.

Exactly
28 days ago
3/14/13

IMO bendo's started on a down hill turn once bendo got to bellator...is it me or bendo seems hesitant when fighting?  

28 days ago
11/22/11
Rhyno5820 -

IMO bendo's started on a down hill turn once bendo got to bellator...is it me or bendo seems hesitant when fighting?  

He's been long that before even bellator, no surprise but he "smooth" put me to sleep during the first round, had to finish it the next day-didn't miss anything. 

28 days ago
9/9/14
Rhyno5820 - 

Hes in that "honeymoon" phase for lack of a better term

That area where hes been thinking about retiring for a while and doesn't really have the edge or fire any more.

it happens to most of them. hes been talking about retirement for a while but wont pull the trigger. That's not a good thing for fighters if you're already thinking about the end you should be thinking like Mike perry.

You think mike perry is thinking about retiring?

Gomi is an example of a dude in this honeymoon phase but just wont get out BJ as well.

it happens to all of them that stick around to long.
27 days ago
9/9/14
twilight phase would have been a better term...

sucks for benson he cant even beat the lesser pitbull bro.

both good fighters but they aren't equal.
27 days ago
9/26/07
Rhyno5820 -

Nope. It started while he was still in the UFC.
27 days ago
11/11/09
My first live ufc event was him vs Nate Diaz. Was a super exciting fight and be dominated and really shocked me as a Diaz fan. Left that arena kind of mad people hated on him for being so boring....fast forward how many fights later and every fight since he's played the same tired game plan of pitter patter striking and holding on to a single against the cage the entire round.
27 days ago
3/14/13
Kenso -
Rhyno5820 -

You saw slight version of it.  Remember the run to the title benson had some drag out fights.  Then gets the title had a few drag outs as well.  After he lost the title we all saw the other side of the hill.

27 days ago
5/12/07

Bendo is a great fighter, I'm just not interested. 

#>>

27 days ago
6/4/09

He's like a Nick Diaz, his losses aren't really losses.  Close fights.  Tough break.  Gotta do away with the show/win double your money victory purse.

27 days ago
1/27/13
Rhyno5820 -
Kenso -
Rhyno5820 -

You saw slight version of it.  Remember the run to the title benson had some drag out fights.  Then gets the title had a few drag outs as well.  After he lost the title we all saw the other side of the hill.

He had a great fight against Clay Guida to earn his title shot in the UFC. I think everyone forgets about this fight because they didn't show it on tv. It was the first fox card and they only showed the Cain vs JDS fight

27 days ago
3/14/13
Bay Area -
Rhyno5820 -
Kenso -
Rhyno5820 -

He had a great fight against Clay Guida to earn his title shot in the UFC. I think everyone forgets about this fight because they didn't show it on tv. It was the first fox card and they only showed the Cain vs JDS fight

I remember it.  That was a hell of a fight which if I am not mistaken made guida drop to FW.  This is the truth and everyone knows it.  When you burn a candle at both ends like these fighters do.  We see the result of it in the cage.  Bendo's camp has always said that there sessions are intense.  

27 days ago
2/1/08

There was a time when he was one of the most exciting and well-rounded fighers in the game.

It just seems like he's failed to evolve, only fights to the level of his competition, and came to embody the idea of the jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none philosophy.

27 days ago
8/8/10
notsobigmike -

There was a time when he was one of the most exciting and well-rounded fighers in the game.

It just seems like he's failed to evolve, only fights to the level of his competition, and came to embody the idea of the jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none philosophy.

I don’t think it’s that he’s failed to evolve.

If you look back over his career since the Pettis loss, he’s always fought “safe” against guys with KO power. Everyone he’s faced that is known as being heavy handed has been a wrestlefuck strategy.

So his problem is whenever he faces someone that either he can’t take down and submit, then he’s out of options. At the elite level where guys are hard to catch in a sub it means he’s stalled and gone to decisions way too often.

I literally cannot even remember the last time he stopped someone with strikes (I know Patricio Pitbull was a TKO but that was from a leg injury).

27 days ago
4/20/08

I don't agree with how Dana handled him leaving, but he's one of the most boring fighters ever. I pretty much bailed on the 155 division for years once him and Frankie were running wild. Good fucking grief.