2/21/15 7:30 PM
12/3/08

CSAC issues memo on dangers of weight cutting

2/21/15 7:45 PM
11/2/14
TTT Phone Post 3.0
2/21/15 7:49 PM
8/31/13

Good article Kirik.  I'm happy to see you giving attention to important issues in the sport, namely PED abuse and Rapid Extreme Weight Cut issues.  These, coupled with long term issues from concussive injuries deserve frequent press.

2/21/15 8:03 PM
1/1/01

Two of my favorite members of the site are the first two replies; I am wicked psyched.

2/21/15 8:09 PM
3/15/10
Here's your third favourite!

Right...?

Hopefully they change something but seems like a long road. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/15 8:18 PM
2/13/14
Great article!

It's kinda crazy that there isn't any rules regarding weight cutting.. This shit needs to be sorted because guys are cutting more and more.. Especially once the new PED rules are implemented.
2/21/15 8:20 PM
3/20/12
criscyborg - TTT Phone Post 3.0

I am voting this Lady up
even if it isn't her.

Cyborg is a cool chic
2/21/15 8:23 PM
8/31/13
The biggest irony is weight classes are designed to promote safety and instead they have led to Rapid Extreme Weight Cut practices which are perhaps the most dangerous element of combat sports.

Most regulators turn a blind eye despite their statutory reason for existing being fighter safety. Something has to give. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/15 8:29 PM
8/31/13
To his credit Andy Foster seems to be one of the commissioners who is taking one of the most proactive rolls in addressing this issue.

The British Columbia athletic commission is also apparently taking some steps to address rapid extreme weight cut practices. See point 12 at the following link

http://www.ecsc.ca/pdf/2014/ECSC%20September%208,%202014%20Final%20Minutes%20-%20signed.pdf

I have reached out to the commission seeking details about this proposal but still don't have a reply. It's good to see that at least some commissions are taking notice of this very dangerous part of the sport they regulate. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/15 8:38 PM
11/4/11
Well written, and I agree that Andy is a fantastic commissioner. We miss him in the Southeast, but he is doing good work for the sport out west Phone Post 3.0
2/21/15 9:16 PM
5/12/03
Strykr619 - Time for day of weigh ins with hydration test.
I think the key is only allowing a certain % of weight gain prior to the bout. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/15 9:16 PM
5/12/03
Andy foster have a Twitter? Phone Post 3.0
2/21/15 9:21 PM
1/17/15
I think I read about a rule, in CA I believe but only for amateur fighters, where they weighed in fighters the day before the fights at the "Official Weigh Ins" and then they weigh them in before the fights at their "Fight Weight" and they are only permitted to cut a certain percentage of weight based on that.
Great idea, can't think of a better implementation myself, but unfortunately I think if you took that to the pro-stage you'd see fighters still partially dehydrated shortly before the fight which of course is even more dangerous.
2/21/15 9:22 PM
11/1/03
Wow a memo, that should stop the cutting. Next up memo on steriods.
Edited: 2/21/15 9:30 PM
3/2/11

"No one’s ever been hurt from weight cutting" says Dana White

http://www.fightopinion.com/2014/08/30/ufc-california-sacramento-dillashaw-dana-white/

Maybe if Conor or another favourite cash machine collapses on scale (I do not want this to happen) they'll start to care, just like only when a big name failed an OOC test.

2/21/15 9:35 PM
1/1/01
Hard Aground - 

"Fight someone your own size."     Basic man code rule from childhood days.

How do you determine size?
2/21/15 9:46 PM
3/30/14
SinCityHustler - 
Hard Aground - 

Depends, when I was 12 Id measure from the base but thats just silly in retrospect. 

Great article Kirik, I wish it was getting more attention

2/21/15 9:46 PM
7/2/09
SinCityHustler - 
Hard Aground - 

Diameter. Wait, what?
2/21/15 9:56 PM
11/4/11
smithsamman - I think I read about a rule, in CA I believe but only for amateur fighters, where they weighed in fighters the day before the fights at the "Official Weigh Ins" and then they weigh them in before the fights at their "Fight Weight" and they are only permitted to cut a certain percentage of weight based on that.
Great idea, can't think of a better implementation myself, but unfortunately I think if you took that to the pro-stage you'd see fighters still partially dehydrated shortly before the fight which of course is even more dangerous.
That is exactly what happens in North Carolina where they have two weigh ins with a limited allowed gain between the two weigh ins (day before fight and morning of). Guys cut normally, rehydrate back to the allowance, and then the rest of the way after the second weigh-in Phone Post 3.0
2/21/15 10:14 PM
1/1/01

Sadly this will never happen, but I really feel the solution is to have fighters weigh in on their way out to the octagon with their gloves, cup and shorts on - overweight = forfeit loss and no show money and suspension

Guys would have to pick their fight weight as their legitimate walking weight and be a few pounds under the limit to account for food / drink during the day and what they wear into the cage. It would be similar to the IBJJF.

Cutting even a small amount of weight would hurt your performance so much no one would do it and everyone would more or less be the same size.

It would cancel huge fights at first and all the weight classes would have to be remade, but it would make the sport safe and level the playing field. 

Edited: 2/21/15 10:16 PM
1/1/01

If this was adopted conversations would go like this on any given day

"What weight class do you fight at?"

"170"

"How much do you weigh now?"

"175"

Which is what weight classes were designed for anyway

2/21/15 10:22 PM
1/1/01
Jimmy Wrassler - 
SinCityHustler - 
Hard Aground - 

Depends, when I was 12 Id measure from the base but thats just silly in retrospect. 

Great article Kirik, I wish it was getting more attention

Thank you so much for the kind words man.

Lack of interest is my fault for not working Conor McGregor in there :-)

2/21/15 10:28 PM
10/13/09
smithsamman - I think I read about a rule, in CA I believe but only for amateur fighters, where they weighed in fighters the day before the fights at the "Official Weigh Ins" and then they weigh them in before the fights at their "Fight Weight" and they are only permitted to cut a certain percentage of weight based on that.

yeah, it's a mess...

i think adding some weight divisions could help, as guys would be able to get closer to their natural weights.

and much like the PED issue, if you want to stop people from doing something, make the risk benefit ratio a little more steep.....

Edited: 2/21/15 10:33 PM
4/21/12
I've competed in powerlifting under USAPL / IPF rules. Weigh-ins started two hours before the competition got under way. If you tried to do a drastic weight cut through dehydration you really were likely to diminish your performance, even though it's not considered an "endurance" sport. When I wrestled in high school our weigh-ins were less than an hour before our matches. I'd really like to see something similar in professional MMA.
2/21/15 10:52 PM
6/30/07
criscyborg - TTT Phone Post 3.0
Hahaha Phone Post 3.0