UnderGround Forums Cruz handily beat MM

5 days ago
10/5/11

No discussion of GOAT for Demetrious. People who say other wise are illogical. If Anderson beat GSP then I guarantee GSP wouldn't be in the GOAT running. 

Cruz is at best considered top 5-10, so why the hell should DJ be GOAT if he lost to Cruz? He's definitely not the best fighter in the world either. Cruz showed that.

5 days ago
9/9/14
Jake95 - 

No discussion of GOAT for Demetrious. People who say other wise are illogical. If Anderson beat GSP then I guarantee GSP wouldn't be in the GOAT running. 

Cruz is at best considered top 5-10, so why the hell should DJ be GOAT if he lost to Cruz? He's definitely not the best fighter in the world either. Cruz showed that.

You don't really think that DJ is the same fighter Today that he was in 2011 when he lost to Dom do you?

smh

doesn't work like that my man.

This DJ would kill 2011 version of himself.

it wouldn't even be close.
5 days ago
6/23/09

We need a rematch.

5 days ago
10/5/11
Bojack Horseman -
Jake95 - 

You don't really think that DJ is the same fighter Today that he was in 2011 when he lost to Dom do you?

smh

Fun to play make believe isn't it? You know what I'm going off of? Actual events that transpired.

The fight game doesn't work like that my man.

5 days ago
9/11/11
Jake95 -

If GSP lost to Anderson, then went on a 6 year streak with no losses and set the record for title defenses, you bet your ass people would still have him in GOAT discussions. They'd say weight classes exist for a reason.

Coincidentally, this is what people point out about DJ-Cruz. Not even gonna delve into the crazy notion that fighters might actually improve after 6 years, which seems a positively unreasonable idea to you.
5 days ago
12/28/10
The real question is can he beat Dom right now? It would definitely be a better scrap the second time around.
5 days ago
1/16/12
GrilliamG -
Jake95 -

If GSP lost to Anderson, then went on a 6 year streak with no losses and set the record for title defenses, you bet your ass people would still have him in GOAT discussions. They'd say weight classes exist for a reason.

Coincidentally, this is what people point out about DJ-Cruz. Not even gonna delve into the crazy notion that fighters might actually improve after 6 years, which seems a positively unreasonable idea to you.

Please don't compare GSP compition to DJ. DJ is 125 pounds and his talent pool is shit along with the complexicity of the fighters he's fought.

Sorry but only Joseph was his big name win at 125. Everyone else was just there to take a beating.

Name me one opponent of DJs that was on the level of GSPs compition 

5 days ago
10/5/11
GrilliamG -
Jake95 -

But there will always be an asterisk. Head to head competition will trump all. Fighters improve, yes. Do you honestly think Cruz hasn't improved as well? Cruz beat MM and I'm sure he would today as well. MM gets starched by TJ or Cody. 

If he's the GOAT a 10lb weight jump shouldn't be the end all for him. He needs to fight Cruz, TJ, or Garbrandt to be in the conversation.

5 days ago
8/22/15
Jake95 -

From your statement no one can be considered goat. Anderson lost to Daiju Takase so hes not considered goat. Fedor lost to Henderson so he cant be considered goat. Gsp lost to Serra so he cant be considered goat.
5 days ago
9/28/13
HatchyMySackie -
Jake95 -

From your statement no one can be considered goat. Anderson lost to Daiju Takase so hes not considered goat. Fedor lost to Henderson so he cant be considered goat. Gsp lost to Serra so he cant be considered goat.

pretty much what i thought after reading the reasoning.

5 days ago
6/23/09

Goat arguements are stupid. It's obvisouly between men who are 200 lbs and above.

Stop being stupid.

5 days ago
1/1/01

Serra handily beat GSP

5 days ago
9/11/11
Acidic -
GrilliamG -
Jake95 -

Please don't compare GSP compition to DJ. DJ is 125 pounds and his talent pool is shit along with the complexicity of the fighters he's fought.

Sorry but only Joseph was his big name win at 125. Everyone else was just there to take a beating.

I'd put Dan Hardy and Matt Serra up against some of DJ's wins, quality wise. Not to mention Uncle Creepy, who was the undisputed #1 Flyweight at the time Johnson beat him.

You gotta realize that GSP had the added benefit of welterweight fighting in a well-established division with recognizable fighters who had been in the UFC for years by the time he came along. DJ, Joe B, and Dodson were some of the only guys who had fought in the UFC before the Flyweight division was introduced, and Johnson's been the champ since.

Look, I don't find most Mighty Mouse fights to be super entertaining, but trying to act like the guy isn't one of the best to have ever done it is silly. Just admit you don't like smaller fighters, it's fine, plenty don't, but these mental gymnastics I see people do to justify their dislike is ridiculous.
5 days ago
7/27/13
springfield -

Serra handily beat GSP

at least GSP wanted the rematch

Edited: 5 days ago
9/18/17

As someone who is not much of a fan of DJ after ducking the TJ fight, he should very well be in top 5 GOAT discussion. 

The division talentpool is shallow which makes it hard to say he’s GOAT. But his technical skill is of the highest level in the UFC. Yes, he’s a midget. Yes, he’s boring. Yes, his opponents suck. Yes, he’s kinda a little bitch for ducking higher competition. But you can’t deny technical skill.

PS: My first post after lurking for 5 years. Glad to finally make the jump. 

5 days ago
4/28/15
HatchyMySackie -
Jake95 -

"Goat" is an absurd fanboy concept that people should let go of.
5 days ago
4/1/10
Jake95 -

With this logic who could be goat?? John Jones? Not with the steroids. Everyone loses early in their career.
5 days ago
2/17/03
Anyone who can't see how much DJ has improved since then knows nothing about fighting.
5 days ago
4/15/09
Jake95 -

Yes, 6+ years ago before mighty mouse was training full time.

pfft

5 days ago
5/11/06

Dj also lost to Pickett.

he fights in literally the weakest non women's division in the sport, guys still absolutely legit but it gets exaggerated by many and ducking the biggest fight of his career was a bad move for public perception.

5 days ago
1/27/14
What a shit argument. So he lost to a top all time fighter 7 years ago in a different weight class and you're saying that takes him out of the running for the GOAT? Where's the logic in that?

So if you have a loss basically you can't be the greatest of all time? That's what you're saying because if MM losing to Cruz is such a big deal Silvas loss to Ryo Chonan took him way out of the running I guess
5 days ago
12/27/12
Acidic -
GrilliamG -
Jake95 -

Damn this lowered my IQ.

5 days ago
5/30/15
People like you make me feel really smart.
5 days ago
12/28/14
Jake95 -
Bojack Horseman -
Jake95 - 

smh

Fun to play make believe isn't it? You know what I'm going off of? Actual events that transpired.

So by that logic Duffy is number one lightweight?
Edited: 5 days ago
2/6/15
Jake95 -
Bojack Horseman -
Jake95 - 

smh

Actual events that have transpired? It was years ago ,do you watch DJ fight? Do you actually think he's the same fighter ? Maybe you just believe that for the sake of a nonexistent argument . No one is saying DJ beat Cruz years ago before 125 event existed (If I recall) .  

GSP nearly lost to BJ Penn so he was elimnated from goat discussion  anyway I guess.