UnderGround Forums Cub Swanson out of UFC contract

3/17/18 7:56 AM
8/12/15

Just read that Cub Swanson is no longer under UFC contract. And he's out of the Featherweight rankings. I am sure Bellator will pay the man his worth. 

I wanted to see Jose Aldo vs Cub Swanson 2

3/17/18 8:05 AM
12/9/13
PhatBuddhaKimura -

Just read that Cub Swanson is no longer under UFC contract. And he's out of the Featherweight rankings. I am sure Bellator will pay the man his worth. 

I wanted to see Jose Aldo vs Cub Swanson 2

i think bellator is out of money, after all these ufc pick ups

3/17/18 8:12 AM
2/3/10

Time for Rizin, he will fit perfectly in Japan

3/17/18 8:36 AM
6/23/14
No way they released him for losing must be a money issue. I don't know the details but kinda seems like the kid who loses at basketball so he gets pissed, takes his ball and goes home.
3/17/18 8:46 AM
4/18/08
WattMell - No way they released him for losing must be a money issue. I don't know the details but kinda seems like the kid who loses at basketball so he gets pissed, takes his ball and goes home.

Not cub Swanson 

3/17/18 8:57 AM
1/1/11
Fck, Cub has always been an exciting fighter.

But because his contract is up, and his last fight was a loss (iirc), I would take him being removed from rankings with a grain of salt ... the UFC has always played hardball when it comes to a new contract, especially if they're offering less than his previous. Which they probably are.

So I'd guess it's a money issue, and hardcore negotiation tactics atm.

But that could easily cause him to fight elsewhere. Or I'm wrong and what I describe has already passed, resulting in him being pulled from rankings.

Hate to see Cub go. But if he's being lowballed and can make more somewhere else then it's probably in his best interests to do so. I can't remember what his age is now.
3/17/18 9:02 AM
10/15/07
WattMell - No way they released him for losing must be a money issue. I don't know the details but kinda seems like the kid who loses at basketball so he gets pissed, takes his ball and goes home.

Wat?

3/17/18 9:03 AM
10/15/07

This sucks- Cub was hoping to finally get paid what he deserves and since he lost I’m sure they offered him something shitty. 

3/17/18 9:24 AM
6/23/14
ChicagoTom -

Wat?

Did you not read it? I remember Dana saying he was going to try to work out a deal with Cub to keep him after he lost to Ortega. That obviously didn't work out, Cub probably wanted a big contract and the UFC didn't see it as a good investment especially coming off a loss and not having a finish in 5 years. Cub is a disgruntled employee, he didn't get a "raise" so he's probably packing up and going to the retirement league known as Bellator.
3/17/18 12:50 PM
7/23/16
WattMell -
ChicagoTom -

Wat?

Did you not read it? I remember Dana saying he was going to try to work out a deal with Cub to keep him after he lost to Ortega. That obviously didn't work out, Cub probably wanted a big contract and the UFC didn't see it as a good investment especially coming off a loss and not having a finish in 5 years. Cub is a disgruntled employee, he didn't get a "raise" so he's probably packing up and going to the retirement league known as Bellator.

This,Dana said he'd make Cub happy with his contract.You never know with Dana though 

3/17/18 4:10 PM
12/9/13
WattMell -
ChicagoTom -

Wat?

Dana always says that shit with every fighter, he said it about Moose too and didn't do anything.

3/17/18 4:15 PM
10/15/07
WattMell -
ChicagoTom -

Wat?

I wasn’t there- but I’m sure Cub was looking for a big contract (which he deserves) IMO. Fight of the year and always brings it. Pay the man. However- I’m sure his loss allowed the ufc to offer considerably less than if he won. I hate how that happens. Especially for fighters who have brought it for years and years. 

3/17/18 8:11 PM
9/18/14

These situations suck man. I’d love to see cub get 100+ grand a fight, and feel like he deserves it. But it’s just like all the other big leagues, these guys don’t get paid for what they’ve done, they get paid for what they’re expected to do next, they’re not willing to gamble on him.

3/17/18 8:52 PM
2/14/11

The UFC is in a rut. The likes of Cub can forget juicy contracts. 

They need to keep a significant pot of money aside to keep Conor happy. 

3/17/18 9:23 PM
4/19/17
NewEraNik -

These situations suck man. I’d love to see cub get 100+ grand a fight, and feel like he deserves it. But it’s just like all the other big leagues, these guys don’t get paid for what they’ve done, they get paid for what they’re expected to do next, they’re not willing to gamble on him.

Get real man..... Cub is fun as shit to watch but he does not deserve six figure paychecks. If seniority is your scale of paychecks then Travis Fulton would be getting paid Conor money.

3/17/18 9:29 PM
9/13/11

Pay the man.

3/17/18 10:47 PM
8/12/15

It's crazy how trash talk and getting in trouble by the public gets you the big pay days. But I guess that's the evolution of the sport. 

At the end of the day it's sports entertainment and it will always be like that because there's too many fights now without proper fan investment and marketing behind the fighters.

Damn I wanted to see Cub Swanson vs Jose Aldo 2 

3/17/18 10:55 PM
9/18/14
Lights Out Lurker -
NewEraNik -

Get real man..... Cub is fun as shit to watch but he does not deserve six figure paychecks. If seniority is your scale of paychecks then Travis Fulton would be getting paid Conor money.

I guess I meant that in the sense of all fighters being underpaid in my opinion. And I get your analogy but c’mon, Travis Fulton?

3/17/18 10:56 PM
9/18/14
NewEraNik -
Lights Out Lurker -
NewEraNik -

I guess I meant that in the sense of all fighters being underpaid in my opinion. And I get your analogy but c’mon, Travis Fulton?

I was just throwing out a number anyways. You missed he point of my comment 

3/17/18 11:00 PM
6/23/14
RepsOne -

Pay the man.

The last time he finished a fight was July 6, 2013 against Dennis Siver. No doubt Cubs a good fighter and he's in some entertaining fights but without the KOs/subs the UFC isn't shelling out the big bucks. Trust me if Conor ir Rousey weren't winning via stoppage all those fights they wouldn't have got nearly as famous as they are. If his 4 fight win steak he just had was 4 KOs I'll bet they would have gave him a more lucrative contract offer, just part of the fight game.
3/18/18 2:36 AM
8/12/15
WattMell -
RepsOne -

Pay the man.

The last time he finished a fight was July 6, 2013 against Dennis Siver. No doubt Cubs a good fighter and he's in some entertaining fights but without the KOs/subs the UFC isn't shelling out the big bucks. Trust me if Conor ir Rousey weren't winning via stoppage all those fights they wouldn't have got nearly as famous as they are. If his 4 fight win steak he just had was 4 KOs I'll bet they would have gave him a more lucrative contract offer, just part of the fight game.

Good point. You got to finish .... can't leave the fans with blue balls.

3/18/18 10:58 AM
12/31/10
ChicagoTom -
WattMell -
ChicagoTom -

Wat?

I wasn’t there- but I’m sure Cub was looking for a big contract (which he deserves) IMO. Fight of the year and always brings it. Pay the man. However- I’m sure his loss allowed the ufc to offer considerably less than if he won. I hate how that happens. Especially for fighters who have brought it for years and years. 

You hate how people who lose have less leverage than people who win!?

How do you function in society?

3/18/18 11:13 AM
7/23/15

He'd make way more at Bellator with the sponsors and all any damn way.

3/18/18 11:16 AM
1/1/01

How much was he making before? 

Edited: 3/18/18 11:25 AM
10/20/14

cub has gotten fight of the night bonuses for 7 out of his 14 fights, he's not getting cut because of a lack of finishes.

he just can't beat any contenders... he's never gonna get a title shot, the only direction to go for him is down and the UFC isn't going to raise your salary while you're moving backwards in the rankings

seriously though, looking at his record, when was the last time he beat a contender? has he EVER beaten one?