UnderGround Forums DFW estimates MayGregor purse split

Edited: 6 days ago
12/3/08

A boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor has been brewing since April of last year. While each is the greatest PPV draw within their respective discipline, it’s no surprise that the official boxing betting line favors Mayweather, as the bout will take place under prizefighting rules.

While there were months of skepticism, UFC president Dana White is now actively negotiating the contest, as he explained during a recent appearance on The Herd. White said he expects to hammer out a deal with McGregor this week, and then turn his attention to Mayweather next week. The UFC boss even broke down how he expects the purses to split.

“I think we get the McGregor side in the next couple of days,” said White, as transcribed by Shaun Al-Shatti for MMA Fighting. “And then I go lock myself in a room for a couple days with Team Mayweather and see what we can come out with.”

“It depends on how much the fight sells. And if the fight sells as well as I think it can, Floyd makes a little north of $100 [million] and Conor makes $75 [million].

“He (Mayweather) feels like he’s the A-side and he should get more of it. We haven’t really gotten into that negotiation yet. I wanted to get McGregor locked in first, because McGregor is under contract with me. And at the end of the day, does this fight make a ton of sense for me? It really doesn’t. But Conor wants this thing really bad and I’ve said it many times, the kid’s stepped up and saved some big fights for me, man, so I’m in. I’ll figure it out.

“Obviously, in boxing, you start to negotiate things like the gloves and the officials and the judges, and how big the ring is — a lot of different things you can negotiate as far as the fight goes. But again, I haven’t gotten into a room with Team Mayweather yet, and who knows. The Conor side, we’re good on the Conor side. I need to figure out the Mayweather side, and maybe it can’t be. Maybe the other side can’t be done, but we’ll see. I promised Conor I’d do everything I could to make this thing happen, so that’s what I’m going to do.”

“This is isn’t going to be UFC. It’s going to be a boxing match. It’s not going to have anything to do with the UFC. My brand, the closest thing my brand will be to this is obviously I’ll be a part of the promotion for the fight, and Conor’s my guy. That’s it.

“Listen, one of the things that we’ve done and the reason we’ve built this brand the way that we have is, we always bring people the fights they want to see. There’s no doubt that people want to see this fight, and it’s all anybody ever asks me about, so I’m going to do my best to see if I can get this thing done. I’m not saying I can, but we’re trying to.”

Best guess at present is that the fight goes down in September.

6 days ago
1/1/01
No amount of money will be worth the damage caused when Conor gets embarrassed.
6 days ago
2/24/07
Ok....how about Conor actually defend a belt once diring this year long negotiation process?
6 days ago
1/30/10

Wow looks like this fight is really going to happen 

6 days ago
4/15/16
Golden Boy - No amount of money will be worth the damage caused when Conor gets embarrassed.
I'd be okay with getting embarrassed for $75 million.
6 days ago
4/17/17
Hashtag - 
Golden Boy - No amount of money will be worth the damage caused when Conor gets embarrassed.

Probably. But if I'm making 20 mil (dont know how much he really makes) a fight being a badass in a sport I'm a badass in, would I risk some of that aura for some extra millions where embarrassment is almost a certainty?
6 days ago
10/22/14
We Are All One Mean Species -
Hashtag - 

Probably. But if I'm making 20 mil (dont know how much he really makes) a fight being a badass in a sport I'm a badass in, would I risk some of that aura for some extra millions where embarrassment is almost a certainty?

Yeah but hes only worth that 20 million till he loses twice in a row then his next fight is for maybe a million. 

6 days ago
1/13/13

Did you fucking spell his last name wrong in the title?  Cuz it looks like you did

6 days ago
10/30/03
Who is MayGregor?
Edited: 6 days ago
1/13/13

Oh I get it. May and Gregor

6 days ago
1/1/01
Hashtag - 

Me too. But this a 4 billion dollar investment that is already losing money. You take your biggest star and you let him box the best boxer in the past 30 years? Unless they make 4 billion (which they won't) this is going to be a very big nail in their coffin.
6 days ago
4/14/12
Don't know about that. You can do whatever you want to me for 70mil
6 days ago
7/22/09

Whoever at UG Blog Industries decided to coin the term Maygregor is who is wrong with this site in 2017.

Did WME assume Zuffa's interest in this site with the purchase?

6 days ago
7/12/11

Dana wants it locked in then he takes 80% hahahaha. That's some sneaky shit!

6 days ago
5/5/07

How the hell does this fight even get sanctioned ?

crazy that any commission will even accept this fight. 

Conor literally has no chance of winning the fight under boxing rules.

i highly doubt mayeather will fight split

6 days ago
9/26/13
Hashtag - 

What aura? He got choked out a little over a year ago, and has 3 losses on his record. He's not some unstoppable force, or mythic figure. He's a good fighter, who is exceptional at marketing himself. IF he has an aura, it's manufactured. And when Floyd boxes his ears off, he'll manufacture another one.

75 million is fuck you, multi-generational kind of money. He'd be a fucking fool to pass on this opportunity.

6 days ago
11/20/05
The undercard should have a boxer switching sports.
6 days ago
4/17/17
GSDbestbreed - 
Hashtag - 

What aura? He got choked out a little over a year ago, and has 3 losses on his record. He's not some unstoppable force, or mythic figure. He's a good fighter, who is exceptional at marketing himself. IF he has an aura, it's manufactured. And when Floyd boxes his ears off, he'll manufacture another one.

75 million is fuck you, multi-generational kind of money. He'd be a fucking fool to pass on this opportunity.

Yeah he got choked out, then fought the same guy again at the same weight class and beat him. That says something about the guy, right. He cares about perception.

20 mil (I'm still making up this figure) is still generational FU money. 4 of those gets you past that 75 mil. And he doesnt have to get embarrassed in a boxing ring. He faces guys in his world he probably thinks he can easily beat.

Also, he is not a good fighter, he is a great fighter. Aldo and Alvarez fights cement him.
6 days ago
2/5/06
Golden Boy - No amount of money will be worth the damage caused when Conor gets embarrassed.

What damage?

Conor get's lit up....so what? If he lasts a couple rounds gets 1 or 2 good shots in, it's a win. If he goes the distance he might as well have won the fight.

This is a win/win for Conor, the only one with something to lose is Floyd
6 days ago
10/27/03
We Are All One Mean Species - 
GSDbestbreed - 
Hashtag - 

Yeah he got choked out, then fought the same guy again at the same weight class and beat him. That says something about the guy, right. He cares about perception.

20 mil (I'm still making up this figure) is still generational FU money. 4 of those gets you past that 75 mil. And he doesnt have to get embarrassed in a boxing ring. He faces guys in his world he probably thinks he can easily beat.

Also, he is not a good fighter, he is a great fighter. Aldo and Alvarez fights cement him.

Conor knows he won't be brutally KO'd.
Its against a 40yr old Mayweather who last cleanly stopped someone in 2007 (not counting the cluster fuck vs Ortiz in 2011)

If he swings and misses for 12 rounds and Floyd dances around him and outpoints him then he performed just as well as the boxing champions Floyd fought in the past 15 years.

For Floyd it'll be the easiest money he's ever made.

That's why they both want this fight.
6 days ago
1/16/11
You are naive.
6 days ago
1/16/11
You and your family for generations can live off that wealth. Who cares if you get pitter pattered by Floyd.
6 days ago
4/13/12
Anyone remember any of Floyd's last few fights? The guy looks like he does today because he knows how to protect himself. He will win by decision in an extremely boring fight for fans and an extremely frustrating one for Conor
6 days ago
1/14/12
That 4 billion debt needs paid so i wouldn't be surprised if this gets booked and if it's a huge draw then a rematch as well.

With a 75 million payday Dana's not going to enjoy negotiations for his next UFC fight.
6 days ago
12/1/12

This is a no loose situation for Mac or Dana the way he's playing it, the cagey MFer...    

This is a huge draw that will transcend fight fans. It's the type of spectacle that gets world wide attention... and no one gives Mac a chance in hell. So worst case is that he gets out pointed by Floyd, just like his past dozen opponents, because the guy who takes Nate Diaz punches in bunches to the face with 4oz gloves is not takin a beat down by Floyd-hands in those 16oz pillows.  

The only way he doesn't gain respect would be to cross a line in shitalkery prior and then have a Roberto Duran verbal tapout due to humiliation within 3 rounds. 

And hes he's got that one punch Mickey thing going for him, so there's always a chance he does some damage...