UnderGround Forums DFW estimates MayGregor purse split

4/20/17 5:01 AM
8/18/13
Rahjai MD -

How the hell does this fight even get sanctioned ?

crazy that any commission will even accept this fight. 

Conor literally has no chance of winning the fight under boxing rules.

i highly doubt mayeather will fight split

Though I can agree to a point, Conor is far more equipped to step in a boxing ring than James Toney ever was to step in the cage no? Pretty sure most MMA fighters have a better boxing pedigree than Toney had a wrestling/bjj pedigree

4/20/17 5:29 AM
9/18/10

I love Mac but he gets schooled like a little girl in this fight. But I think most people are missing the undertones. mac don't care. He wants a giant payday and after this fight if it happens there is no reason for him to fight in the UFC anymore. I think his era is over. Big payday and laugh all the way to millions of dollars

4/20/17 6:32 AM
7/29/02
the real question is, why would conor bother fighting for a fraction of that again with the UFC?

4/20/17 7:03 AM
7/18/11
inf0 - the real question is, why would conor bother fighting for a fraction of that again with the UFC?

He won't have much choice. He technically wouldn't need to fight anymore anyway with that payday. 

4/20/17 7:13 AM
1/1/01
We Are All One Mean Species -
Hashtag - 
Golden Boy - No amount of money will be worth the damage caused when Conor gets embarrassed.
I'd be okay with getting embarrassed for $75 million.

Probably. But if I'm making 20 mil (dont know how much he really makes) a fight being a badass in a sport I'm a badass in, would I risk some of that aura for some extra millions where embarrassment is almost a certainty?

He could easily lose his next 2-3 mma fights and be even more fucked. He's smart to grab the huge payday while he can.

4/20/17 7:41 AM
7/8/06
Golden Boy - No amount of money will be worth the damage caused when Conor gets embarrassed.

For $75mil Floyd could piss on me in the middle of a packed house at MSG

Edited: 4/20/17 7:53 AM
12/31/10
SickEye -
inf0 - the real question is, why would conor bother fighting for a fraction of that again with the UFC?

He won't have much choice. He technically wouldn't need to fight anymore anyway with that payday. 

Also is not like every other boxing payday would reach that.

You can only get embarrased by Money Mayweather once, after that the numbers drop low enough that it makes sense to come back to the 10-20 million UFC purses. Who knows maybe he does well enough that his UFC PPVs increase with new fans brought from boxing.

4/20/17 10:29 AM
11/25/10

The rematch is likely the only competitive version of this matchup, and even that may be a stretch.  

4/20/17 11:34 AM
12/13/15
Before the fight. Connor needs to step in the middle of the ring and get everyone's attention .
He then needs to throw a couple of kicks and then shake is hands and head I a not allowed movement. Then he needs to act like he is choking someone out and do the same NOT ALLOWED gesture.
This would be the only way he saves face.

I think it's great that an mma fighter might make 70 million. But this fight will only hurt mma unless the public is constantly reminded that this is a boxing match not a fight.
Edited: 4/20/17 11:56 AM
4/29/07

Conor won't get embarrased. Floyd will carry him.  Why settle for 100 mil, when you can double that with a sellable rematch.

4/20/17 12:23 PM
1/1/01
nice pro wrestling fight, 12 round decision. good for the sponsors. that are on screen every round. mayweather will just carry the fight and that is that.

i am just amazed that anybody is stupid enough to want this fight, or even watch it.
4/20/17 12:47 PM
11/23/09

What damage?  It is a different sport.  I'm pretty sure McGregor is smart enough that during the entire promotion leading up to the event and after the event he is going to tell the world that this pussy couldnt last 30 seconds in a real fight and that he (Mayweather) needs it to be boxing rules or a woman in order to win....  The UFC is going to do little promotion for themselves here other than donate McGregor and get a cut of the purse, which is a great ROI for them.. And if McGregor picks up even more fans along the way that tune into watch him in the UFC and those people become UFC fans then its a win/win.  

The only way this is a complete failure for McGregor is if he goes into the ring and loses in 30 seconds or in under 1 round and is embarassed.  Other than that.  This is a serious win for the McGregor brand.  Even if he cheats and loses (drops Mayweather on his head something) he still wins.  

He literally needs to last more than 1 round and make it look somewhat sporty..  That is it people.  Think of Mayweather and Manny...  That was boring AF and Mayweather did nothing...  This could be that repeated....  Which again is a HUGE win for Conor...

Honestly, Egg said it best, it is alll about the money...

4/20/17 12:51 PM
7/8/09
BruiserBrody -

Whoever at UG Blog Industries decided to coin the term Maygregor is who is wrong with this site in 2017.

Did WME assume Zuffa's interest in this site with the purchase?

McWeather imo
4/20/17 1:36 PM
1/1/01
BruiserBrody -

Whoever at UG Blog Industries decided to coin the term Maygregor is who is wrong with this site in 2017.

Did WME assume Zuffa's interest in this site with the purchase?

More than likely a typo rather than an attempt at coining a term. It's the Underground Potato you're talking about.

4/20/17 2:06 PM
10/14/10

I don't see any way Floyd hurts Conor.

Hope he gets paid a ton.

He may hurt Floyd.

4/20/17 2:30 PM
1/4/14
Does ANYBODY listen to anything Dana White says anymore?
4/20/17 2:33 PM
8/22/02
EFM - Anyone remember any of Floyd's last few fights? The guy looks like he does today because he knows how to protect himself. He will win by decision in an extremely boring fight for fans and an extremely frustrating one for Conor
This. We know who Floyd is and what he does. The only intriguing aspect is seeing how hard Conor goes after Floyd. Will he be happy being decisioned or does he go for broke (figuratively) trying to connect.
4/20/17 4:18 PM
10/6/02
what of Maywhether wants to box in a ring the size of a phone booth?

Does a larger ring help Conor or Maywhether?
4/20/17 5:37 PM
1/1/01

The UFC will obviously make huge money off this on the promotional end, but the question is whether or not that earning is sufficient to justify the probability of their biggest star never returning to fight in MMA again. McGregor has long expressed a desire to retire young. If he does make 75 million or so for fighting Floyd, there is at least a decent probability that he never fights again. 

4/20/17 5:40 PM
4/5/09

What embarrassment?

*Conor is supposed to lose, no risk.  It's the = of Steve Nash challenging Michael Jordan to a dunk contest.  "Oh Lawd Steve lost! How embarrassing!" 

*Floyd would have to flatline him to humiliate.  He doesn't have the power or the balls. All he will do is dance like a circus bear for points.  

*Defensive dancing to avoid the fight will bring anger on Floyd, not Conor

*Conor's already lost convincingly in HIS sport and his hype has only increased.  Losing (by decision no less) to a goat in a foreign sport is 10x more understandable

75 MILLION dollars isn't worth it? Okay... 

4/20/17 6:30 PM
1/1/01
To be clear I'm not talking about Conor's 75 million. I'm talking UFC's cut they will clear. They have already lost any draw they had in the Women's division which was huge a few years ago. GSP is back to fight for a title that he won't defend if he wins. Their biggest draw is going to box Floyd Mayweather.

Spending 4 billion on a company and then letting your top draw go lose a boxing match is retarded. Tell me the ideal scenario where this will benefit the UFC. Then tell me the odds of it happening.

4/20/17 8:26 PM
6/4/07

"as the bout will take place under prizefighting rules"

MMA is also prizefighting, lolz. Boxing is an older example but both are fighting for money.

4/20/17 10:41 PM
10/30/03
Mayweather won't sign this fight unless he's getting the much better deal. It's how he works it is and always has been. He will not change for Dana or Connor
4/21/17 7:53 AM
11/23/09
jrj - Mayweather won't sign this fight unless he's getting the much better deal. It's how he works it is and always has been. He will not change for Dana or Connor

Where else is Mayweather going to get 100 million dollars to essentially spar with an amateur boxer?  Even if he were to go fight Manny again he would maybe get 100-150..  But Manny is way more of a threat in pure boxing to Mayweather then McGregor is. (or so most believe)..

So unless Mayweather has found another way to make 9 figures in one night doing something else.  This is happening.  Not to mention Mayweathers extraordinary spending.  If you're going to spend millions every year, you need to make millions every year....