UnderGround Forums Dana's LW update

4/7/20 9:01 AM
1/1/01

Dana told Okamoto that the Tony vs Gaethje winner will be getting the shot at the title vs Khabib in September.

He did mention Conor really wants that rematch with Khabib but the Tony/Gaethje winner gets the next shot in September.

Maybe instead of fighting three times this year like he said, maybe Conor will now just sit out until Khabib vs Tony/Gaethje happens so he can get a guaranteed title shot in Dec/Jan/Feb.

Conor could take a WW fight in July I'm sure if Dana told him he could still get the winter LW title fight even if things don't go his way at WW. It would be in Dana's interest to do that for Conor because he could make money with Conor this summer and still let Conor get what he wants... another LW title fight.

Anyway, Khabib vs Tony in April and Conor vs Gaethje in July with the two winners meeting this winner was the best situation.

What we have now, Tony vs Gaethje in April and then meeting Khabib for the title in September is not bad at all.

Props for Dana for not trying to make Khabib vs Conor in September, letting Conor skip ahead of Tony/Gaethje.

4/7/20 9:04 AM
1/1/01

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/4/7/21211710/dana-white-reveals-how-new-plan-for-ufc-249-will-impact-conor-mcgregors-future

“Everybody felt that if Conor was going to get a shot at Khabib that actually Gaethje should get it before Conor,” White said when speaking to ESPN. “I mean it couldn’t have worked out any better.

“You get Gaethje vs. Tony. It’s the fight that makes sense. It’s two of the top guys in the world. Khabib is out so the winner will face Khabib.”

Unfortunately that plans leaves McGregor out in the cold when it comes to his plans to eventually work his way back to title contention as well as plotting revenge against Nurmagomedov after losing to him in 2018.

Right now, White says there’s no telling what’s next for McGregor because the UFC is dealing with an unprecedented situation while promoting fights in the middle of a global pandemic.

“This impacts everybody,” White said. “There’s three fights that have already been postponed, we’re going to work out over the next several weeks and I don’t know where this puts anybody.

“Conor really wants that rematch with Khabib. Well Khabib and Tony or Gaethje won’t fight now until probably September.”

McGregor hasn’t made any public statement since Ferguson vs. Gaethje was announced, but he’s continued to train in anticipation of his next fight.

4/7/20 9:07 AM
2/9/09

What Dana really means is Conor gets what he wants and we will see Conor vs Khabib come Sept.

Why not do loser of Tony/Gaethje vs Conor in July. 

4/7/20 9:10 AM
1/1/01

Rumor is that Rogan really did not want to fly to the private island to call fights for the UFC but Dana has ensured Rogan that he would stock the island with lots of muscular chimps for Rogan to look at. Elk will be supplied as well so Rogan can shoot and eat them. Dana is also stocking the island with lots of DMT, weed, and shrooms for Rogan to use while watching the chimps.

4/7/20 9:42 AM
1/1/01
The Closed Guard -

What Dana really means is Conor gets what he wants and we will see Conor vs Khabib come Sept.

Because the loser can and might win against Conor while undergrossing and cancelling/delaying Khabib/Conor2.

Conor already has a W in his last fight and is promotable in a rematch. Best route is to keep him on the sidelines and keep that W until Khabib runs through everyone else’s pockets.

4/7/20 10:25 AM
6/14/12

This whole situation is a mess. Should have just pushed khabib / tony back a few more months ( we ve been waiting 5 years - whats a few more months at this point ? ) and had justin fight conor this summer to determine the next challenger.

4/7/20 10:29 AM
2/9/09
multiculturaljoseph -
The Closed Guard -

Because the loser can and might win against Conor while undergrossing and cancelling/delaying Khabib/Conor2.

Conor already has a W in his last fight and is promotable in a rematch. Best route is to keep him on the sidelines and keep that W until Khabib runs through everyone else’s pockets.

Conor has 0 wins at 155 in the last 3? Years. Come on

4/7/20 10:30 AM
1/24/17

If Justin KOs Ferg, then khabib probably fights conor in september

4/7/20 10:34 AM
1/1/01
Connorwinztharematch -

This whole situation is a mess. Should have just pushed khabib / tony back a few more months ( we ve been waiting 5 years - whats a few more months at this point ? ) and had justin fight conor this summer to determine the next challenger.

In a perfect world... the situation you describe would have been best.

That being said, I'm just gonna enjoy Tony vs Gaethje and then the winner vs Khabib at this point since I can't do anything about them not keeping the original fight together.

4/7/20 10:45 AM
1/5/11
Connorwinztharematch -

You are stuck on this point, but why?

They need to get an event out. They need to, if possible, and any card would work. I thought I saw a few posts from you, but the fact is the world is not the same right now. Perfect isn't happening, normal is gone and let's just get live fighters on TV.

Props to all fighters stepping up. Kudos.

4/7/20 10:46 AM
3/18/14

Conor vs loser of this fight is perfect

4/7/20 10:51 AM
1/1/01
rudiger -

Conor vs loser of this fight is perfect

I can't see Conor fighting the loser of this if he can just wait for a title shot this winter.

4/7/20 11:03 AM
6/14/12
choadler -
Connorwinztharematch -

You are stuck on this point, but why?

They need to get an event out. They need to, if possible, and any card would work. I thought I saw a few posts from you, but the fact is the world is not the same right now. Perfect isn't happening, normal is gone and let's just get live fighters on TV.

Props to all fighters stepping up. Kudos.

Im stuck on this point ? Thats the first post ive made expressing that opinion. 

4/7/20 11:56 AM
7/24/14

Fuck! Just make me a matchmaker.

conor can get the loser of Tony vs Justin. Then a title shot

4/7/20 12:02 PM
6/14/12
DollawayGotFistedByAPillow -

This is how it should work.

4/7/20 12:20 PM
7/24/14
Connorwinztharematch -
DollawayGotFistedByAPillow -

This is how it should work.

It’s so ridiculous that someone gets paid stupid money to fuck shit up all the time. 

When conor fought the greatest featherweight of all time in Jose Aldo, arguably the best P4P fighter at the time. He beats him with a 1 punch lucky shot. Suddenly a rematch makes no sense and fuck Jose Aldo! 

Conor fights khabib... Any decent fan knew exactly how that fight would go down. If you were a betting man this was a free money fight for you. Then the fight goes exactly as expected and now we have to make the rematch, nothing else matters except getting Conor back in there with khabib. And yet we all know exactly how the rematch will go down. 

Edited: 4/7/20 12:56 PM
8/31/07

McGregor can now do the Diaz trilogy or face Masvidal, whatever, if staying active, relevant enough, etc. is truly desired vs sitting on sidelines while some of these beasts take an L and clear the way for him to do just enough to slide into a title shot.

I do not expect McGregor will get the loser of Gaetje vs Ferguson, wishful thinking there, but obviiously this makes most sense.

They will likely want to give Conor a "name" and one coming off a win, or at least not a recent high profile loss, not to mention both being extremely dangerous fights for Conor.

However, Gaetje or Ferguson coming off a pivotal loss could be opportunistic timing in comparison to both while surging as they are at present.

More likely IMO that McGregor winds up rematching Poirier or Holloway this Fall, enough to stay relevant at LW without the risk of facing the upper upper echelon of dangerous true top contenders. If Hooker beats Poirier then Aldo perhaps.

4/7/20 12:58 PM
1/1/01

Dustin Poirier has a place in the title picture too.  

4/7/20 1:19 PM
7/2/09

Conor vs Diaz 3.

4/7/20 1:21 PM
1/19/12
stevekt -

Dustin is fighting hooker though I believe. Conor shiuoe fight the loser of this fight to earn a shot at the title. At the very least he should fight winner of hooker vs dustin... so he wil prob end up fighting Lee,Al, da bronx. 

4/7/20 1:29 PM
2/19/13
BJ Penn Forever -

Rumor is that Rogan really did not want to fly to the private island to call fights for the UFC but Dana has ensured Rogan that he would stock the island with lots of muscular chimps for Rogan to look at. Elk will be supplied as well so Rogan can shoot and eat them. Dana is also stocking the island with lots of DMT, weed, and shrooms for Rogan to use while watching the chimps.

Not a Rogan fan I take it lol

4/7/20 1:31 PM
2/19/13
SQUEEZIE -
stevekt -

Dustin is fighting hooker though I believe. Conor shiuoe fight the loser of this fight to earn a shot at the title. At the very least he should fight winner of hooker vs dustin... so he wil prob end up fighting Lee,Al, da bronx. 

You’re right that he should...but no way does Dana risk him losing and missing out on Conor for the title ppv buys

4/7/20 1:32 PM
1/19/12

Ferg or Justin are not gonna fight each other, then khabib and then Con all before the year ends while Con just waits and doesn't fight anyone.

4/7/20 6:04 PM
3/13/12

Tony vs Gaethje should not happen, after all the bullshit goin on at this point if 1 of the fighters cant make it for this epic event then fuckin postpone it

4/7/20 9:38 PM
12/6/11

Tony is at bigger risk taking this fight at short notice. Dude has been on an impressive win streak and been waiting for that Championship fight for years now.  Justin has the skillset to beat him in a standup match. Then Tony would get bumped back out again and we will likely not see Tony vs Khabib.