UnderGround Forums Diego: I made a f@$%ing smart decision

2/18/20 11:15 AM
1/1/01

Diego Sanchez was so far down on the judge's scorecards vs. Michel Pereira that only a tapout or knockout would get him the win. And then, with less than a minute left in the final round, Pereira landed an illegal knee to the face of a downed opponent.

The ringside physician ruled that Sanchez could fight on, but he declined to, and was awarded a DQ win. While Sanchez was down 20-18, cornerman Joshua Fabia had - in a characteristic moment of confusion told him the rounds were 1-1 - so the fighter likely believed he could still earn a decision win. Sanchez has received criticism for his choice, but defended the decision in an interview with Mike Bohn for MMA Junkie.

“Did I quit? No,” said Sanchez. “I got hit with a f***ing serious knee to the head. I knew I was going down on the scorecards, I knew how things were rolling out. I made a smart, veteran decision because I know my face is, regardless or not of the last two minutes of the fight, my face is going to be covered in blood. The image is going to be painted on the judges. ... I don’t have a chance of winning that fight anymore. So, did I quit? I made a f***ing smart decision to not put myself in some real danger where I would’ve been injured when that motherf***er hit me with an illegal shot when I was down.”

“That [knee to the ribs that preceded the illegal knee] really injured me ... It broke two of my ribs completely. I went down. ... I’m not your average human being. It did not knock me out, but did it damage me? Yes.

“I don’t need you guys down here like, ‘Oh, I might have the biggest heart in the sport but I quit because I was f***ing scared of Pereira.’ I’ve been doing this longer than f***ing anybody and I deserve a little respect. If the UFC and the MMA community and the media don’t want to give it to me, I’m going to go f***ing take it.”

Sanchez closed by saying he is no longer on a title run, but instead is fighting to create a platform so more people become aware of the benefits of Fabia's School of Self Awareness. At the least, Sanchez has indeed brought attention to Fabia and his efforts.

2/18/20 11:42 AM
1/1/01

Diego's got nothing to prove, and doesn't owe anyone shit...

2/18/20 1:07 PM
5/6/16
HYBRID JON - 

This 100%
2/18/20 1:20 PM
8/7/12

He made a smart decision for him and no one else, so when he makes a statement along the lines of, "Im only fighting to bring awareness to this nutjobs school" and then quits. That notion doesnt sit well with the majority of people. 

It was the best and only decision he had to winning that fight. Hence it was a smart decision. Is it going to win him fans and turn away those who used to be fans? Absolutely. 

Some people might look at the situation and say Diego quit, i can whole hartedly say they are wrong. Diego QUIT a long time ago. Its time he hung them up. If he was serious about promoting that nutjobs schools then start touring using your name to attract attention to his cause in a manner that doesnt involve getting your brain scrambled anymore then it currently is. 

2/18/20 1:23 PM
11/19/08

He’s right and deserves a pass

2/18/20 1:52 PM
1/1/01
HYBRID JON - 

This

2/18/20 2:26 PM
10/6/02
100% rght decision..

And he we will see him fight again because of it. It just have been hard for him to make that decsion in the moment (I know I wouldn't have probably made the right decision)... So props to him for his fight IQ.

2/18/20 2:34 PM
8/24/15

He should have just said he got hit with an illegal knee and knew it was going to affect him the rest of the fight. End of story. But when you start talking too much about it people will pick it apart. 

2/18/20 2:55 PM
1/14/03

that cut was nasty. Salute to a legend. 

2/18/20 3:02 PM
9/5/11

Diego is a legend...who has always benefited from saying less rather than more. 

2/18/20 3:10 PM
5/5/12

2/18/20 4:14 PM
11/28/03

the knee to the ribs, broke his ribs

ouch

2/18/20 6:47 PM
6/14/12

He did eat some hard knees to the body. Not hard to believe he broke ribs. Diego is one tough hombre.

2/18/20 7:00 PM
1/1/01

Do I wanna prove I'm tougher than I am smart?

Do I wanna price im smarter than I am tough?

is go with smart. Especially when it makes u tens of thousands of extra bucks when u got kids to feed.

His opponent just has himself to blame 

2/19/20 12:16 AM
1/21/18

Sanchez made the right decision. it was a blatently illegal knee. Compare it to Weidman who did something similar but the knee was not illegal,which caused him to leave the arena with an L and probably spent the night on the couch.

2/19/20 7:29 AM
8/23/12

Diego isn't going to get brain damage when he's older, he has brain damage right now. The people around him should be ashamed for not getting him to retire. 

2/19/20 11:35 AM
1/1/01
Y2JB -

Diego isn't going to get brain damage when he's older, he has brain damage right now. The people around him should be ashamed for not getting him to retire. 

yes they control his every move... hes has no say so in his life..... dude... how do u know they havent told him? 

2/19/20 11:41 AM
7/18/11

Refresh my memory...was Pereira the guy that was dancing like an idiot during his fight a few months ago and ended up getting beat by the Canadian guy?

2/19/20 1:10 PM
8/10/05
SickEye - 

Refresh my memory...was Pereira the guy that was dancing like an idiot during his fight a few months ago and ended up getting beat by the Canadian guy?

Yes.

And I agree with others. Diego has nothing to prove to anyone and that shot he took was nasty.
2/19/20 2:45 PM
8/1/10

It's a bit absurd to question where Diego's heart is, or his toughness.  If he chose not to continue after some shit, he had a good reason.  

Diego is a role model for young guys in ABQ, who can often be dumb and resort to guns and knives while trying to be tough and prove themselves.  Sanchez has always trained and fought hard, has never looked for an easy way out, has always taken his losses like a G, and he has been around a looooong time bringing it.

These trolls need to go eat a dick if they're badmouthing my boy.  Sanchez is all heart, he's a good role model for New Mexico.  Young dumb guys need to also learn when it's OK to walk away.  It's not always wise to beat your head against a wall if there is no net gain, especially if you are at a disadvantage.

2/19/20 2:50 PM
8/10/05
badboyhere - 
Y2JB -

yes they control his every move... hes has no say so in his life..... dude... how do u know they havent told him? 

This, plus Diego has always had a few screws loose.

Do I know whether or not he has CTE or similar? No, of course I don't, and neither do you.

Do I think he would be just as weird today without having lived the life of a fighter? Possibly, yes.
2/19/20 2:51 PM
10/1/16
HYBRID JON - 

This. The guy has been around forever, and saw an opportunity and took. Fuck the haters.
2/19/20 8:12 PM
10/25/05

He did, but he should also retire because he looked absolutely horrible. 

2/19/20 8:59 PM
1/1/01

Sanchez is losing his grip on reality.  I think it's sad that none of his friends and family are doing anything to help him.

2/19/20 9:04 PM
10/17/13
Good decision by a Veteran. He was brought in to lose and his balls pulled him through into this situation. Good for him.