UnderGround Forums Disturbing part of Ricky Simon vs. Merab Dvalish

4/22/18 5:06 PM
6/25/05

Not just did Merab never tap or go fully out during the 15 minutes.  The ref asked him if he was okay and he verbally said he’s fine then went to get up.  The doctors yelled at him to stay on the mat.  He stayed on the mat following doctors orders which led to his loss.

Wow

4/22/18 5:51 PM
10/28/16
that was some booooooolshit
4/22/18 8:35 PM
12/27/12

So wrong. To endure what he did and get punished WTF. His lips were purple. 

4/22/18 9:27 PM
8/7/12

I think I pointed out in another thread that if he had a rush of oxygen due in part to the submission being held so long,  he could have gone out from that and then immedietly come too.

4/23/18 8:26 AM
1/1/01
I think a higher up in the company made the call. Merab Dvalish won the fight everywhere except the record books. But, it was another decision where he did not look good. He's only finished 3 of his 11 opponents. This guy is not a guy the UFC wants on the roster.

With a win, under most contracts he's guaranteed another fight. With 2 straight losses, he can (and most likely will) be cut.
4/23/18 1:34 PM
8/6/06

Mark Goddard and Big John both seem to think it was the correct decosion, and that the controversy is unwarrented.

4/23/18 1:35 PM
8/6/06
dangerboy12 - I think a higher up in the company made the call. Merab Dvalish won the fight everywhere except the record books. But, it was another decision where he did not look good. He's only finished 3 of his 11 opponents. This guy is not a guy the UFC wants on the roster.

With a win, under most contracts he's guaranteed another fight. With 2 straight losses, he can (and most likely will) be cut.

"The company" doesn't make those calls. The athletic commission were the ones making the calls. The ufc has no real stake in the outcome of that fight. 

4/23/18 1:37 PM
8/6/06

I fucking guarentee you that the ufc wants Merab on their roster. They just gave him an extra 50k for that fight.

4/23/18 2:05 PM
9/11/13

Why was he flailing his legs?

4/23/18 2:32 PM
1/14/12

I get where Marc and Big John are coming from but I thought it seemed weird to lose from not tapping then the Ref made a decision after the bell.

It would have made a lot more sense if it was stopped at 4:59.

4/23/18 2:42 PM
8/31/11
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -

Mark Goddard and Big John both seem to think it was the correct decosion, and that the controversy is unwarrented.

You can't be saved by the bell. 

4/23/18 2:47 PM
10/15/07
cg51mma -

I interpreted that as him showing he wasn’t out. 

29 days ago
8/6/06
ChicagoTom -
cg51mma -

Yeah, but wouldn't a thumbs up suffice? I mean, he did a thumbs up while flailing his legs.

29 days ago
4/17/13
ChicagoTom -
cg51mma -

Yes I think Felder said something about it at the time about bicycling his legs to show he wasn't out. The choke could not have been that tight for him to last as long as he did.

29 days ago
2/6/15

Really screwed up call and it madw me think less of Goddard.

29 days ago
8/6/06
WhereIsGoranReljic -

I think Goddard and Big John both probably know the rules better than you or I.

29 days ago
2/6/15
WhereIsGoranReljic -

They are saying he was unconscious,which he wasn't. Obviously two of the most active refs know the rules better than you or I , but they weren't even in the cage! The guy Reffing did not call a stoppage, so it's very odd.

29 days ago
8/6/06
WhereIsGoranReljic -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

They are saying he was unconscious,which he wasn't. Obviously two of the most active refs know the rules better than you or I , but they weren't even in the cage! The guy Reffing did not call a stoppage, so it's very odd.

He absolutely went unconcious during that period. He was completely unconcious when he got rolled to mount. Are you saying he wasn't ever unconcious at any point?

29 days ago
1/30/16

Big screw up but of course no one will take responsibility.

29 days ago
8/6/06

I'll give you that the whole thing was odd and confusing.

Edited: 29 days ago
2/6/15
WhereIsGoranReljic -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

He absolutely went unconcious during that period. He was completely unconcious when he got rolled to mount. Are you saying he wasn't ever unconcious at any point?

Not from the choke, maybe from the takedown . The ref didn't call the fight off , he touched them to signal the end of the round. Goddard is telling a different story. He absolutely wasn't out at the end of the fight, he sat up initially.

29 days ago
9/14/17
WhereIsGoranReljic -
WhereIsGoranReljic -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

Not from the choke, maybe from the takedown . The ref didn't call the fight off , he touched them to signal the end of the round. Goddard is telling a different story. He absolutely wasn't out at the end of the fight, he sat up initially.

This is tough to call.

At first, I thought he went out from the choke, but watching it again: it looks like he's fine all the way on his back and just exhausted at the end.

He does, however, look limp as fuck following that takedown and roll to mount. I think he is out and - whether or not the ref' caught that - the right man won that fight.

Edited: 29 days ago
2/6/15
ILKR -
WhereIsGoranReljic -
WhereIsGoranReljic -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

This is tough to call.

At first, I thought he went out from the choke, but watching it again: it looks like he's fine all the way on his back and just exhausted at the end.

He does, however, look limp as fuck following that takedown and roll to mount. I think he is out and - whether or not the ref' caught that - the right man won that fight.

I think you should have to stop it at that moment or don't consider it a stoppage. It doesn't make sense for there to be a stoppage at 5:00 of the final round because the fight was already over. It's the refs job to see that on the fly , don't let the guy sit there and go till the final bell only to pretend you stopped it.

Mareb and Goddard were on the MMA hour today for those intetested. Mareb said he was awake after the takedown but had a stinger , I think his bell got run enough that he went limp and gave up position but he came to and was still kickin' literally.

Let that man hear the judges decision , you let him sit there and fight through the entire thing.

29 days ago
11/17/11

I agree that even if he was out at some point, the ref never stopped it before the final bell, so there's no reason to call it after the fact. If someone had their head buried in the clinch, then after the final bell they pull apart and we see a huge gash over someone's eye, it would be BS to call the fight due to the cut because the fight is over already. If this guy was 'concious' for the whole fight, then he can't be called out after the fight is over. 

29 days ago
9/11/13

I looks like the guy might have KO’d himself on the takedown and then woke back up.