UnderGround Forums Edson: I didnt expect Khabib to move forward at me

10 days ago
1/1/01
Go watch all of Khabib's fights. He is a pressure fighter for sure, but he was much more unrelenting with his pressure in this fight.
10 days ago
2/17/03
^Right.
Edited: 10 days ago
6/17/16

The smartest gameplan against a dangerous kicker is to constantly move forward to get inside kicking range and take away the power of their shots. Very hard to kick effectively moving backwards, if not impossible.

This is why I think somebody needs to be prepared to do work in the clinch on the cage with elbows or have a dynamic guard game from the bottom. Sure try to clip Kabib as he comes in because you know he is coming straight at you but be prepared to do work in the positions he likes best because that is where you will probably end up if you don't get a clean KO.

The funny thing is I feel like McGregor has a game perfectly tailored to beat Tony because Tony tends to come in wild and takes time to settle into the fight, Tony is the perfect opponent to beat Kabib with his elbows and dangerousness off his back, and Kabib would maul McGregor all day long if McG can't catch him in the first 15-20 seconds as he comes in at the beginning of each round.

9 days ago
1/3/08
Winston Wolf - stop with the excuses he lost fair and square and soundly.Be prepared for anything.Problem solved .Dont fight if u have an excuse

Expect more from a 01er

9 days ago
1/1/01
MattyJ -
Winston Wolf - stop with the excuses he lost fair and square and soundly.Be prepared for anything.Problem solved .Dont fight if u have an excuse

Expect more from a 01er

and who are u
8 days ago
10/13/07
NicolasRGC - ^ da fuck? He's not giving excuses, just explaining why he lost. Fuck is wrong with you people.

8 days ago
1/12/12
FrontBroRian - 
NicolasRGC - ^ da fuck? He's not giving excuses, just explaining why he lost. Fuck is wrong with you people.

This...I swear some posters just can't handle it when a fighter speaks at all after a fight.

This is an "excuse?"

“I was very upset the week after the fight because I was well prepared, had a wonderful camp. It was a tough loss, no doubt about it.”

Hit the nail on the head.

Nothing remotely close to an excuse.

Barboza basically said that he was forced to fight Khabib's fight and he was surprised when Khabib moved forward and not backwards.

How is this an excuse?
8 days ago
1/12/12
Liyon - 
Positive Energy - 

So he thought Khabib would take him down by moving backwards and away?

I think Barboza was planning on keeping the fight in the middle of the octagon and avoiding the fence forcing Khabib to either back up and force Barboza to come forward, which he probably wasn't going to do but would still give Edson plenty of space to kick, or force him to shoot for standard wrestling takedowns in the middle of the cage which Barboza would probably have a better chance of defending.

But Edson's got to know that the best gameplan against a superior kicker is to crowd the kicker. Same thing people did with Pettis. Why Edson doesn't spam teeps and hasn't developed a side-kick to keep distance baffles me, though. All he throws are round-kicks.

It's also why Conor is a completely different fight than Edson. It's harder to crowd a puncher, imo, especially one with exceptional footwork and distance-gauging abilities and Khabib isn't known for having a great shot-style takedown.

The only good wrestler that Conor fought was Mendez. Mendez had no trouble taking Conor down until he fatigued from not having a full training camp.

He landed 4 out of 7 takedowns.

So, I wouldn't go that far with Conor having the ability to stop a good wrestler.

8 days ago
7/29/02
side check kick
8 days ago
10/25/14
keithws2 -
Liyon - 
Positive Energy - 

I think Barboza was planning on keeping the fight in the middle of the octagon and avoiding the fence forcing Khabib to either back up and force Barboza to come forward, which he probably wasn't going to do but would still give Edson plenty of space to kick, or force him to shoot for standard wrestling takedowns in the middle of the cage which Barboza would probably have a better chance of defending.

But Edson's got to know that the best gameplan against a superior kicker is to crowd the kicker. Same thing people did with Pettis. Why Edson doesn't spam teeps and hasn't developed a side-kick to keep distance baffles me, though. All he throws are round-kicks.

It's also why Conor is a completely different fight than Edson. It's harder to crowd a puncher, imo, especially one with exceptional footwork and distance-gauging abilities and Khabib isn't known for having a great shot-style takedown.

The only good wrestler that Conor fought was Mendez. Mendez had no trouble taking Conor down until he fatigued from not having a full training camp.

So, I wouldn't go that far with Conor having the ability to stop a good wrestler.

Difference is Mendes shoots for takedowns, Khabib moves forward trying to clinch up with his opponents. He can potentially leave himself open to get hit
8 days ago
2/17/03
WATHUNT - 
keithws2 -
Liyon - 
Positive Energy - 

Difference is Mendes shoots for takedowns, Khabib moves forward trying to clinch up with his opponents. He can potentially leave himself open to get hit

The difference in styles is indeed very interesting.

GSP, for instance, poses very different wrestling centered issues than Khabib.

A GSP fight isn't very interesting because GSP murders Conor and everybody knows it. Khabib might destroy him, but there are more open questions.
8 days ago
5/17/13

Khabib has to beat Ferg first, lets not get ahead of our selves  

8 days ago
1/1/01
keithws2 - 
FrontBroRian - 
NicolasRGC - ^ da fuck? He's not giving excuses, just explaining why he lost. Fuck is wrong with you people.

This...I swear some posters just can't handle it when a fighter speaks at all after a fight.

This is an "excuse?"

“I was very upset the week after the fight because I was well prepared, had a wonderful camp. It was a tough loss, no doubt about it.”

Hit the nail on the head.

Nothing remotely close to an excuse.

Barboza basically said that he was forced to fight Khabib's fight and he was surprised when Khabib moved forward and not backwards.

How is this an excuse?

Buy a dictionary and be amazed.

His excuse is that Khabib was walking forward and he was so confused by it that he had no answer for 3 rounds.

Sorry, but walking forward isn't exactly a puzzle and Edson is not an android who is programmed.

You are just a Brazilian wannabe who has been brainwashed to make excuses for the people who wrote the book on excuses: Brazilians.

Don't worry, you can still keep your GJJ Barra bumper sticker and use your fake Brazilian accent in public. No one is taking those things from you.
Edited: 8 days ago
1/12/12
^^^
Really have no dog in the fight. I wasn't a fan of Edson or Khabib for that matter.

If I say I struck out because I was looking for a curve ball and not the fastball, that's a reason. I'm not saying the pitcher did not play a factor in me striking out. I'm saying he fooled me and I'm giving him credit.

Take football. A team is playing against the run on short yardage and the offense burns them with a deep route. If a team comments on that play being a factor in their loss, is that really an excuse or a reason?

According to your lame ass logic, Edson should simply say that he was beat by a better fighter and not provide any details of what happened during the fight. What his thought process was, What he was anticipating and what happened.

Hell, all athletes who lose a game should obviously take the same approach. Provide no insight and stick with the better man or team won and that's it.

GTFO with your bull shit, slick.
8 days ago
1/12/12
wiggum - 
WATHUNT - 
keithws2 -
Liyon - 
Positive Energy - 

The difference in styles is indeed very interesting.

GSP, for instance, poses very different wrestling centered issues than Khabib.

A GSP fight isn't very interesting because GSP murders Conor and everybody knows it. Khabib might destroy him, but there are more open questions.

I would agree...
7 days ago
5/30/15
Steven McTowelie -

Maybe adjust?

You should train fighters.
7 days ago
3/15/10
keithws2 - ^^^
Really have no dog in the fight. I wasn't a fan of Edson or Khabib for that matter.

If I say I struck out because I was looking for a curve ball and not the fastball, that's a reason. I'm not saying the pitcher did not play a factor in me striking out. I'm saying he fooled me and I'm giving him credit.

Take football. A team is playing against the run on short yardage and the offense burns them with a deep route. If a team comments on that play being a factor in their loss, is that really an excuse or a reason?

According to your lame ass logic, Edson should simply say that he was beat by a better fighter and not provide any details of what happened during the fight. What his thought process was, What he was anticipating and what happened.

Hell, all athletes who lose a game should obviously take the same approach. Provide no insight and stick with the better man or team won and that's it.

According to your lame ass logic, you can take curveballs all day and still say you were caught off guard.

Eventually you know what’s coming and you adjust accordingly, or do not and continue striking out.

But perhaps Edson had nothing else to adjust to.

7 days ago
5/8/16
Big_Data -
Lick Brown Boners -
Steven McTowelie -

Maybe adjust?

Yeah, just stop the takedown with a sidestep

Dude why doesn't he just get up? I would just get up, man.
Me too...this guy should be cut! Complete pussy. Cant even adjust or side step
7 days ago
10/5/11

He didn’t excuse himself. He says he had a great camp, that he was prepared, but that his opponent surprised him and he fought his fight. What’s wrong with that?

7 days ago
2/17/03
Steven McTowelie - 
keithws2 - ^^^

According to your lame ass logic, you can take curveballs all day and still say you were caught off guard.

Eventually you know what’s coming and you adjust accordingly, or do not and continue striking out.

Spoken like somebody who hasn't competed in combat sports at a high level.

Every wrestler in the world knows Jordan Burroughs is coming at them with a blast double. They still can't 'adjust.' Same with Georges' jab.

Sometimes, you are just beat by superior skill and strategy. Khabib's relentless pressure was too much for a kicker like Edson. And he couldn't become a new fighter with new skills mid-match.
7 days ago
3/15/10
wiggum -
Steven McTowelie - 
keithws2 - ^^^

Every wrestler in the world knows Jordan Burroughs is coming at them with a blast double. They still can't 'adjust.' Same with Georges' jab.

Sometimes, you are just beat by superior skill and strategy. Khabib's relentless pressure was too much for a kicker like Edson. And he couldn't become a new fighter with new skills mid-match.

Where did I say I competed in combat sports at a high level? What are your credentials?

Did I not say that maybe he couldn’t adjust?

7 days ago
2/17/03
I was a division I wrestler and have coached high level professional MMA for many years. You didn't say that you competed. But your post belies a lack of wisdom about how difficult adjusting is.

Your initial comment implied that adjusting was a simple process. It's not.
7 days ago
1/12/12
Steven McTowelie - 
wiggum -
Steven McTowelie - 
keithws2 - ^^^

Where did I say I competed in combat sports at a high level? What are your credentials?

Has nothing to do with an adjustment. The point being, Edson lost and simply gave some reasons for the lost. Some of you took this as a slight toward Khabib or an excuse for whatever reason. Again, What do athletes who lost in a sporting event say to reporters after lost? Every reason will be viewed as an excuse to some of you knuckleheads.

And Wiggum has another point. You can be prepared for a takedown or a punch or a kick and still not be able to defend it. Depends on how good the opponent is.

Same with a curve or power fastball.

People who are actual athletes and have competed in various sports would understand. Non athletes might not.

7 days ago
1/1/01
how about i lost because the other fighter was better
7 days ago
3/15/10
keithws2 -
Steven McTowelie - 
wiggum -
Steven McTowelie - 
keithws2 - ^^^

Has nothing to do with an adjustment. The point being, Edson lost and simply gave some reasons for the lost. Some of you took this as a slight toward Khabib or an excuse for whatever reason. Again, What do athletes who lost in a sporting event say to reporters after lost? Every reason will be viewed as an excuse to some of you knuckleheads.

And Wiggum has another point. You can be prepared for a takedown or a punch or a kick and still not be able to defend it. Depends on how good the opponent is.

Same with a curve or power fastball.

People who are actual athletes and have competed in various sports would understand. Non athletes might not.

Jesus dude.

I never said in a single post that he was making excuses. Stop confusing me with the flavour of the thread.