UnderGround Forums Event in Thailand linked to 20% of COVID-19 cases

Edited: 3/22/20 10:44 AM
1/1/01

This is why sports events have been cancelled globally.

As of Friday, confirmed cases from a March 6 Thai Boxing event at Lumpini stadium in Bangkok totaled 72, more than a fifth of the national toll of 322. It's feared hundreds more in all corners of the country could be viral time bombs.

The air-conditioned hall was hosting the first big Muay Thai event of the season. Eleven bouts started at 6 p.m. and ended just after midnight. The crowd was about 5,000.

"We were squeezed against each other,'' said Suwan Jitpinit, 37, who traveled from his hometown in Sukhothai province, a 260-mile drive. "Normally the place isn't that crowded. At other regular events, there would be about 1,500 to 2,000 people in the stadium but because this was a special match, there were many more people."

Jitpinit stayed in Bangkok for another event, and headed home on March 10. He began to feel feverish and was shivering so much he had to ask someone else to drive. When he arrived that evening, he went to a local hospital and was diagnosed with tonsillitis. Not feeling any better three days later, he sought help from a bigger hospital in nearby Phitsanulok.

He asked to be tested for coronavirus. The result came back positive. His wife was infected too, and their village is now under quarantine.

Ordinary boxing fans from other provinces, both near Bangkok and in the north, the northeast and the south, have also tested positive for the disease. Among them was a local politician, Kitti Paopiamsap, head of the Chachoengsao provincial administration organization.

According to reports in the Thai media, between the time Paopiamsap attended the Lumpini match and when he tested positive, he attended six weddings, six funerals, three community meetings (two of them with the elderly), three Buddhist ordinations, three fairs, and at least four other public meetings.

Read entire article...

3/22/20 1:25 AM
6/11/06
Crazy stuff
3/22/20 1:52 AM
2/10/20

Jeebus!

Big middle finger to the "It's just the flu" crew.

Oh and Kirik - still think it's okay to spar?

3/22/20 2:01 AM
1/9/02

you dont feel symtpoms of coronavirus 4 hrs after exposure. guy in story is a liar

3/22/20 2:11 AM
8/15/07

Skeptical.

3/22/20 2:54 AM
3/30/14

"Sports events are all, at the very least, shuttered to fans in attendance across North America, and very much of the rest of the world."

Not sure if Im retarded or this is a very oddly written sentence 

3/22/20 3:38 AM
1/1/01

The title makes it seem like 20% of the world's cases were traced to that one sporting event.  It's 20% of the cases IN THAILAND.

3/22/20 8:34 AM
10/19/12
Fahqhard -

Ok  guy in story such a attenion whore liar. He felt sick 4hr after and went to 6 weddings and 6 funeral since march 6? I am 35 an have been to less then 6 funeral and 6 weddings in my life

Kitti Paopiamsap, head of the Chachoengsao provincial administration organization.

Edited: 3/22/20 8:54 AM
7/7/17

The match was on March 6th. He drove home on the 10th. He was diagnosed as having tonsillitis, then went back to the doctor on the 13th and was tested for the virus.

3/22/20 9:38 AM
3/28/13

The Thai always seemed to have a care free attitude towards death

3/22/20 10:21 AM
4/4/12
Fahqhard -

Ok  guy in story such a attenion whore liar. He felt sick 4hr after and went to 6 weddings and 6 funeral since march 6? I am 35 an have been to less then 6 funeral and 6 weddings in my life

The guy who felt sick four hours after the event is a different person to the politician who attended the 6 weddings and 6 funerals before being diagnosed with covid-19.

3/22/20 10:37 AM
1/1/01
KingMartyrJack - 

Jeebus!

Big middle finger to the "It's just the flu" crew.

Oh and Kirik - still think it's okay to spar?

Not okay to spar, violates social distancing guidelines.

3/22/20 10:39 AM
1/1/01
InTheClosetCucumberBoy - 

"Sports events are all, at the very least, shuttered to fans in attendance across North America, and very much of the rest of the world."

Not sure if Im retarded or this is a very oddly written sentence 

Worse written even than usual. I was exhausted but knew it at the time just couldn't think through. Will correct. Thank you.

3/22/20 10:45 AM
1/1/01
gregbrady - 

you dont feel symtpoms of coronavirus 4 hrs after exposure. guy in story is a liar

More detail in original article. I added it. Was four days later. Apologies for omitting the info. He is not lying. Whole village is in quarantine.

3/22/20 10:46 AM
1/1/01
Diesel67 - 

The title makes it seem like 20% of the world's cases were traced to that one sporting event.  It's 20% of the cases IN THAILAND.

The title was shortened due to size restrictions in UG. Full title on front page of site is 

Muay Thai event in Thailand linked to 20% of COVID-19 cases in the nation

3/22/20 10:49 AM
1/1/01
Fahqhard - 

First quote is from a fan named Jitpinit.

Story then says:

"Ordinary boxing fans from other provinces, both near Bangkok and in the north, the northeast and the south, have also tested positive for the disease. Among them was a local politician, Kitti Paopiamsap, head of the Chachoengsao provincial administration organization."

Paopiamsap is a politiician and does a lot of facetime with constituents, which is in ordinary circumstances wise. Here it could be devastating.

3/22/20 11:00 AM
12/29/06

People everywhere are daft, it seems. We have Florida Spring break. Now they have a thing called 'virus rebels'.

I'm in favor of shooting them on sight/site.

I maintain that we will look back on attempts to save very sick people, infecting doctors and nurses and crowding hospitals as a vain attempt to be normal. The virus is going to reduce the population despite our attempts at normalcy.

Anyone thinking about generators, CB/Ham radio for backup communication?