UnderGround Forums FOX lowering UFC offer to $175 million per year

5/21/18 10:03 PM
6/15/14

It appears that the ESPN+ price of $150 million per year drove down the UFC's value. FOX had initially offered as high as $250 million per year.

This article is about FOX's deal with the WWE. It goes into how this affects FOX's future relationship with the UFC.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-wwe-close-massive-five-year-1-billion-deal-smackdown-1113701

And sources close to that deal have told THR that Fox is willing to pay about $175 million annually for the MMA promotion.

5/21/18 10:13 PM
1/1/01

so the first FOX was $100million and year and now with ESPN+ and even this reported 'low' figure from FOX for the remaining shows it's $325/million year. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

5/21/18 10:15 PM
9/7/04

5/22/18 5:51 AM
1/26/08
Chris -

so the first FOX was $100million and year and now with ESPN+ and even this reported 'low' figure from FOX for the remaining shows it's $325/million year. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Exactly, they'd be getting more money this way

5/22/18 5:56 AM
10/25/10

You know, chasing the UFC across networks is getting quite tiresome. Thank deity that torrents exist - 1stopshop. 

5/22/18 6:46 AM
12/9/13
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
Chris -

nice, but lose customers

5/22/18 11:33 AM
6/15/14
Chris -

True but there was all this talk of $400 to $450 million+ a year in total. I know both sides make extreme offers to then meet in the middle.

I feel the ESPN+ deal is an anomaly in that they are willing to take a hit financially for the sake of establishing their streaming service.

In contrast, I don't think TV networks will follow ESPN's lead and willingly take a hit financially for the UFC.

5/22/18 1:22 PM
10/8/07

I'd say $325m per year is a great deal with all things considered. We're in a down period for the UFC, no huge draws are fighting anymore, the biggest fight the UFC has to offer is Conor vs. Khabib which may never happen. Take the money before Fox changes their minds.

5/22/18 3:12 PM
11/30/07
MMA Playwright -

5/22/18 7:30 PM
1/26/08
Morpheus1976 -
Chris -

nice, but lose customers

How would they lose customers?

having more channels promote your content is a good thing for your brand, not a bad thing. Look at the NFL for example.

Edited: 5/22/18 8:35 PM
7/27/13

So I need to have fox sports (live in Canada and not on my cable package), buy ESPN+ on my mobile app for $4.99/month, subscribe to fightpass for $10.99/month & buy watered down PPVs for $69.99/pop.

how exactly is this growing the sport/increasing fans?

5/22/18 9:04 PM
12/9/13
Morpheus1976 -
Chris -

nice, but lose customers

having more channels promote your content is a good thing for your brand, not a bad thing. Look at the NFL for example.

you think i am gonna follow the UFC across four channels?

5/22/18 10:01 PM
10/9/10
triforce -

So I need to have fox sports (live in Canada and not on my cable package), buy ESPN+ on my mobile app for $4.99/month, subscribe to fightpass for $10.99/month & buy watered down PPVs for $69.99/pop.

I believe FightPass content is going to be moved to ESPN+ for half the price. 

Paging MMALOGIC

5/22/18 10:24 PM
9/26/10
triforce -

ya. i don't know how this works as far as picking up new fans, but it has already cut by my viewing probably 10 fold. 

I have basically regressed to casual level. 

5/22/18 11:41 PM
5/30/11
Morpheus1976 -
Morpheus1976 -
Chris -

nice, but lose customers

Major sports organizations do this all the damn time, and decision was practically expected. Wanna see every Green Bay Packers game and you don't live Minnesota? Good luck with Fox, CBS, ESPN, NBC, and the NFL Network all having NFL exclusive games. It's annoying but everyone can find those channels (NFL Network excluded).

Having the UFC spread across multiple platforms is also annoying, but having everything gated behind the ESPN+ paywall brings almost no new customers in. Having shows on Big Fox is still vital to converting new fans, and conversely being on ESPN+ makes them more accessible to cord cutters. It's just the realities of the market right now.

Maybe there's a happy medium that involved simulcasting a few events across all available platforms, and indeed I expect that concept to go over WME's head, but it's ultimately a secondary point.

5/23/18 12:13 AM
1/1/01
UFC still going to get way more than I thought they were going to get.
5/23/18 1:57 AM
4/3/16

NBC renewed RAW for 400+ million a year too... 

5/23/18 2:41 AM
1/1/01
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
Morpheus1976 -
Chris -

nice, but lose customers

NFL draws 100M+ for their biggest event. UFC draws 2 million, maybe 2.5 million. Looking to the NFL for the example of how this is good for UFC is not the right way to go. At least direct them to look at WWE or something else in the same type of popularity range.
5/23/18 3:08 AM
12/14/15
ThunderlipsTapped -

NBC renewed RAW for 400+ million a year too... 

WWE and UFC are not remotely comparable as money makers. WWE is a global machine with very little freely available alternatives. 

5/23/18 6:48 AM
3/6/13

ESPN is the exclusive home now apparently. I just hope fights are on ESPN 1 and 2 and not on those funky obscure ESPNU and shit

5/23/18 7:43 AM
12/9/13
Chromium -
Morpheus1976 -
Morpheus1976 -
Chris -

nice, but lose customers

Major sports organizations do this all the damn time, and decision was practically expected. Wanna see every Green Bay Packers game and you don't live Minnesota? Good luck with Fox, CBS, ESPN, NBC, and the NFL Network all having NFL exclusive games. It's annoying but everyone can find those channels (NFL Network excluded).

Having the UFC spread across multiple platforms is also annoying, but having everything gated behind the ESPN+ paywall brings almost no new customers in. Having shows on Big Fox is still vital to converting new fans, and conversely being on ESPN+ makes them more accessible to cord cutters. It's just the realities of the market right now.

Maybe there's a happy medium that involved simulcasting a few events across all available platforms, and indeed I expect that concept to go over WME's head, but it's ultimately a secondary point.

Fox has been a proven platform, where that espn shit is just starting up.

5/23/18 9:43 AM
12/9/13
MrHughes1991 -

ESPN is the exclusive home now apparently. I just hope fights are on ESPN 1 and 2 and not on those funky obscure ESPNU and shit

its on their streaming service, nothing on tv.

5/23/18 9:46 AM
6/28/10
Calavaro -

You know, chasing the UFC across networks is getting quite tiresome. Thank deity that torrents exist - 1stopshop. 

Yes, pressing all those buttons...fuck me. Aint nobody got time fo all dat.

5/23/18 10:01 AM
4/21/09
Morpheus1976 -
MrHughes1991 -

its on their streaming service, nothing on tv.

This is a blatant lie.

5/23/18 10:12 AM
9/21/14
BrckNoHitBk -
Calavaro -

Yes, pressing all those buttons...fuck me. Aint nobody got time fo all dat.

Some people are smart enough to realize shelling out 100's of dollars for multiple tv packages is retarded. But sure keep pressing your buttons and eating your paint chips