UnderGround Forums Ferreira: I’ve looked up to Pettis for a long time

10 days ago
1/22/11

There’s an old adage that says to keep working until your idols become your competition. After nearly a decade in the fight game, that appears to have happened for Carlos Diego Ferreira. Next weekend at UFC 246, Ferreira steps into the cage for a main card bout with former UFC and WEC lightweight champion, Anthony Pettis, who is someone he had been idolizing for awhile.

“[He’s] a guy I’ve been looking up to for a long time, from when he used to be the champ,” Ferreira told The Top Turtle Podcast. “And it makes me that much more happy to fight a guy like that, that calibur.”

For Ferreira, it wasn’t just that Pettis was the champ. Instead he marvelled at many of the things that Pettis had going on for him, from the way that he trained to the Wheaties box.

“The way he carried himself, the way he marketed himself, when it comes to training. I saw highlights of his techniques and everything,” Ferreira said. “I was just impressed with everything he was doing.”

Seeing Pettis not only be a star in the cage, but out of the cage as well made Ferreira want to work harder. With faith in his skills, he knew working hard could get him to that same level.

“It made me push myself to one day have the same kind of show for me,” Ferreira said.

And now with the fight approaching, he’s ready to make that next step towards that stardom. However, to do so he’ll have to take out the man he looked up to. Ferreira is not only ready to do that, but he’s ready to put on a show in the process.

“I’m really surprised [I got this fight] because he’s a ranked opponent. Like I’ve been asking for a ranked opponent, but I didn’t expect it to be Anthony Pettis,” he said. “I just want to get there and put on a good show with him. He’s a really big name in the UFC. On January 18th it’s my time to shine.”

(9:45 mark)

10 days ago
3/7/07

Carlos has failed for roidsp in the past and isn’t that smart. Let’s go Pettis.