UnderGround Forums Good luck with your cardio McWinded

9 days ago
6/30/11

Conor will gas quicker than me checking the mail. It will be he downfall. Hot air is not oxygen.

9 days ago
7/12/12
Conor is going to get embarrassed by a master boxer, this is going to be a piece of cake for Floyd unless age has caught up with him.
9 days ago
6/30/11
DanChow - Conor is going to get embarrassed by a master boxer, this is going to be a piece of cake for Floyd unless age has caught up with him.

I agree Dan. I think Floyd is just one of those guys that knows his limitations. Maybe against a legitimate boxer he may not take the chance, but Conor is easy pickings. They both know it's an easy payday. 

9 days ago
3/15/10

Fantastic.

8 days ago
10/25/09
SpredSavage -

Conor will gas quicker than me checking the mail. It will be he downfall. Hot air is not oxygen.

Someone needs to explain this to me.  

Why is Conor supposed to gas so quickly when he's used to fighting in MMA with five 5 minute rounds and one minute rest between rounds (25 minutes of fighting and only 4 minutes rest) whereas in the boxing match he will fight twelve 3 minute rounds with one minute rest between rounds (36 minutes fighting with a whopping 11 minutes of rest)...and he doesn't have to worry about grappling which is far more taxing than stand up?!?!

8 days ago
7/23/15
Carogan -
SpredSavage -

Why is Conor supposed to gas so quickly when he's used to fighting in MMA with five 5 minute rounds and one minute rest between rounds (25 minutes of fighting and only 4 minutes rest) whereas in the boxing match he will fight twelve 3 minute rounds with one minute rest between rounds (36 minutes fighting with a whopping 11 minutes of rest)...and he doesn't have to worry about grappling which is far more taxing than stand up?!?!

If he's missing most of the time with his shots that will wind a fighter quick too. Especially if Conor is getting peppered the whole time by Floyd while he's missing. Trust me, Floyd can go at a higher pace for way longer than Conor, grappling aside.

8 days ago
7/23/15

Plus, It takes a long time to build up the conditioning to go 12rds. Boxing is It's own animal  when it comes to conditioning, totally different. 

8 days ago
7/20/09
Carogan -
SpredSavage -

He will gas due to the fact that he's facing a technical mastermind. Conor will constantly be out of position, missing punches and/or eating punches

He gasses against Diaz twice, even when he was dominating the bout.
8 days ago
10/30/03
Yeah, fuck boxing for 12 rounds anywhere near floyds pace, but 5x5 would be hard as shit too.
8 days ago
1/1/01

It's an 8 or 10 round fight right?

8 days ago
1/1/01
I think boxing is far easier cardio-wise than mma objectively (think of the energy it takes to execute and defend against throws, high velocity takedowns, spin kicks, grappling on the ground then standing up again, etc. etc.)...additionally, Conor's base has always been boxing and that's what his body has been geared towards. It was only things like those stupid new capeoria kicks that helped gas him (plus the massive increase in weight) in the 1st Diaz fight.
8 days ago
3/22/16
FatBuddha - I think boxing is far easier cardio-wise than mma objectively (think of the energy it takes to execute and defend against throws, high velocity takedowns, spin kicks, grappling on the ground then standing up again, etc. etc.)...additionally, Conor's base has always been boxing and that's what his body has been geared towards. It was only things like those stupid new capeoria kicks that helped gas him (plus the massive increase in weight) in the 1st Diaz fight.

They're both as hard as each other.

Think of holding ONLY your hands up for THREE MINUTES at a time, for potentially THIRTY SIX MINUTES.

Now think of having to throw punches, dodge punches, use your footwork, use angles... All while getting hit all over your body. It's brutally taxing.

Another thing. People rant about takedowns etc, but how many times have we seen a wrestler get lit up only to take the guy down and score a breather? Many times. If you go down in boxing, you HAVE to stand back up. So you get roughly 4-8 seconds (depending on how savvy you are) catch a breather. Essentialy you're forced to fight on.

People looking at it like "MMA rounds are 5 mins long, nearly twice as much a a boxers. The MMA guy won't have a conditioning issue because of that AND because they use various energy systems". Well there lies the rub! Boxers are aerobic animals, period, few MMA'ers are. Look at an aerobic animal in MMA like the Diaz Bros. They OVERWHELM guys. Their cardio and output consumes people.

Ok, so Conor doesn't have to worry about kicks/grappling etc, but he has a whole host of new problems like I mentioned.

He's going to be gasping for air halfway through if Floyd carries him.

Boxing conditioning is a completely different animal to MMA.

8 days ago
1/7/09
WordUp -
FatBuddha - I think boxing is far easier cardio-wise than mma objectively (think of the energy it takes to execute and defend against throws, high velocity takedowns, spin kicks, grappling on the ground then standing up again, etc. etc.)...additionally, Conor's base has always been boxing and that's what his body has been geared towards. It was only things like those stupid new capeoria kicks that helped gas him (plus the massive increase in weight) in the 1st Diaz fight.

Think of holding ONLY your hands up for THREE MINUTES at a time, for potentially THIRTY SIX MINUTES.

Now think of having to throw punches, dodge punches, use your footwork, use angles... All while getting hit all over your body. It's brutally taxing.

Another thing. People rant about takedowns etc, but how many times have we seen a wrestler get lit up only to take the guy down and score a breather? Many times. If you go down in boxing, you HAVE to stand back up. So you get roughly 4-8 seconds (depending on how savvy you are) catch a breather. Essentialy you're forced to fight on.

People looking at it like "MMA rounds are 5 mins long, nearly twice as much a a boxers. The MMA guy won't have a conditioning issue because of that AND because they use various energy systems". Well there lies the rub! Boxers are aerobic animals, period, few MMA'ers are. Look at an aerobic animal in MMA like the Diaz Bros. They OVERWHELM guys. Their cardio and output consumes people.

Ok, so Conor doesn't have to worry about kicks/grappling etc, but he has a whole host of new problems like I mentioned.

Nobody is claiming that boxing doesn't require a big gas tank just that MMA is more taxing based on the longer rounds.

Based on what we've seen from Conor I don't think he would have cardio issues in a 10 round boxing match against an appropriate opponent.  Fighting Floyd however is a completely different thing obviously.

8 days ago
10/25/09

I dont buy these arguments.

I'm not at all suggesting that Conor will win this fight.  But I am confident that he will NOT gas early like many of you are suggesting.   No chance.

He might get stunned early, in which case he gets fatigued.  But he wont gas because of a poor gas tank.

He has to box for another 11 minutes more to make the distance in this boxing match compared to an MMA match while gaining another 7 minutes of rest.

His game is primarily standup.

Floyd's game is NOT a constant, high pressure one...he just darts in, taps you a few times, and then runs away again.

The Nate Diaz fights would have been more exhausting than anything that Conor will face here against Mayweather.

Now...if we were talking about pressure fighters like Canelo or Pacquiao then I'd change my tune.  However with Mayweather I think Conor has to be more worried about getting frustrated, chasing him and then getting countered to death than he would be about running out of gas.

8 days ago
1/23/06
Floyd is going to have issues with Conor's youth. I'm older than McGregor
8 days ago
12/27/12
This whole fight is a joke.

The real boxing match this year is GGG vs Alvarez
8 days ago
9/5/11

Look! Another Conor hate circle jerk! Cool! 

8 days ago
9/5/11

Conor gets to fight three minutes with a one minute rest against a low output opponent.

Hes used to going five minutes with a one minute rest against striking, grappling, knees, elbows, etc.

Try a new angle, troll boy. 

8 days ago
3/22/16
TheDecider -
WordUp -

Nobody is claiming that boxing doesn't require a big gas tank just that MMA is more taxing based on the longer rounds.

Based on what we've seen from Conor I don't think he would have cardio issues in a 10 round boxing match against an appropriate opponent.  Fighting Floyd however is a completely different thing obviously.

You've never boxed nor trained in it. It is gruelling. 

8 days ago
3/22/16
Malvert the Janitor -

Conor gets to fight three minutes with a one minute rest against a low output opponent.

Hes used to going five minutes with a one minute rest against striking, grappling, knees, elbows, etc.

Except Conor ALWAYS lands in MMA.

He will be missing more against Floyd than every fight of his COMBINED. That takes it out of you. Then you're getting hit back also takes it out of you.

You guys are just seeing numbers (ie: potentially 12 mins of rest compared to 5, only using 2 limbs instead of everything). It is STILL gruelling.

8 days ago
1/7/17
thylegend - This whole fight is a joke.

The real boxing match this year is GGG vs Alvarez

I can afford both. 

8 days ago
10/30/03
If conor makes it to rnd 5 he will not be able to lift his arms to defend himself in rnd 6. It will be ugly or the towel thrown in.

He will be feeling the 3 mim rnds as if they were 5's imo.
8 days ago
9/5/11
WordUp -
Malvert the Janitor -

Except Conor ALWAYS lands in MMA.

He will be missing more against Floyd than every fight of his COMBINED. That takes it out of you. Then you're getting hit back also takes it out of you.

You guys are just seeing numbers (ie: potentially 12 mins of rest compared to 5, only using 2 limbs instead of everything). It is STILL gruelling.

No one said it isn't grueling but you're discounting the specifics. Mayweather doesn't push the pace as much as he controls it. He isn't a grueling opponent. 

Seems like you're minimizing the grueling nature of defending the takedown, getting to ones feet, knees to the body, trying to hip escape from bottom and all the grueling elements that MMA fighters train through daily.

Theres no chance that cardio is even in the top five of things Conor should be primarily concerned with in this bout. 

8 days ago
1/1/01
TheDecider - 
WordUp -

^ THIS
8 days ago
6/28/10

Going to look like Ward last night. Technique going to wear that power out within a couple rounds.