UnderGround Forums Gus not impressed by Rumble, Needs more Wins

9/2/14 1:10 AM
9/25/12
Talks down his wins, and says he has to be tactical with taking fights now, wants long career.

"I have fought both worse and better opponents. Had that (Johnson) fight taken me somewhere, I would have been the first to accept. Since his return to the UFC after being kicked out, he has beaten Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, who passed his expiration date a long time ago, and Phil Davis. He needs at least a couple wins more. We are not in the playground anymore, it's not about who is the toughest, it's about my career. I want to have a long and successful career. You have to think tactically and you can't just go in and swing against the first best opponent."

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/9/1/6092843/alexander-gustafsson-unimpressed-anthony-johnson-needs-more-wins-mma

http://www.expressen.se/sport/gustafsson-da-kan-jag-vanta-i-tre-ar/
9/2/14 1:11 AM
8/1/03
Funny coming from a guy who lost to Phil Davis, and whose biggest win is a decision over Shogun, who passed his expiration date a long time ago.
9/2/14 1:20 AM
11/24/11
AJ still doesn't have a fight lined up? should just give him bader or manuwa. both those guys can benefit from a upset or it will keep aj busy until dc/gus have their title shots
9/2/14 2:10 AM
8/26/13
Can't believe he's talking shit about AJ's biggest win being Davis, when Davis beat Gus. Just make AJ/Bader so the winner can get a shot ahead of Gus. Phone Post
9/2/14 2:11 AM
1/11/12
Delusional
9/2/14 2:17 AM
3/2/11

Why even open your mouth at this point on that subject? You can't win in terms of looking good with any answer critiquing AJ's wins vs yours, and now Phil Davis is going to tweet you a nasty "WTF Bro?"

9/2/14 2:22 AM
9/15/13
Who's Gustafson biggest win? Shogun? Pretty rich for someone whose gonna be on the sideline for at least 9 months Phone Post 3.0
9/2/14 2:29 AM
6/21/09

I like Gus but that makes him look bad.

9/2/14 2:34 AM
6/27/13
People comparing Shogun to Davis? How many titles has Davis had? He beat Rua a year after he lost the title ffs. And saying Gus lost to Davis years ago?

Rumble lost to KOSCHECK and VITOR. Rumble beat a ranked 14 and 6. He'll still crack and wilt under pressure.
9/2/14 2:52 AM
12/5/13
thestoebz - People comparing Shogun to Davis? How many titles has Davis had? He beat Rua a year after he lost the title ffs. And saying Gus lost to Davis years ago?

Rumble lost to KOSCHECK and VITOR. Rumble beat a ranked 14 and 6. He'll still crack and wilt under pressure.

So what are you saying? Rumble sucks? If Gus believed that, he would've accepted the fight. But it seems he completely disagrees with you: "it's not about who is the toughest, it's about my career. I want to have a long and successful career. You have to think tactically and you can't just go in and swing against the first best opponent."
9/2/14 2:59 AM
6/27/13
blakemp - 
thestoebz - People comparing Shogun to Davis? How many titles has Davis had? He beat Rua a year after he lost the title ffs. And saying Gus lost to Davis years ago?

So what are you saying? Rumble sucks? If Gus believed that, he would've accepted the fight. But it seems he completely disagrees with you: "it's not about who is the toughest, it's about my career. I want to have a long and successful career. You have to think tactically and you can't just go in and swing against the first best opponent."

Never said he sucked. Nice try. He IS overrated though. He hasnt earned a contender shot either and Gus earned his title shot
9/2/14 3:09 AM
8/16/11
Gus should have just kept his mouth. I say give Gus a rematch with Phil and lets see how he does. I bet the outcome would be similar to the first fight. Phone Post 3.0
9/2/14 3:19 AM
9/3/12
Say Wat Phone Post 3.0
9/2/14 3:24 AM
7/14/11
Gus sounds like a scaredy cat Phone Post 3.0
9/2/14 3:28 AM
1/20/10
IDK, I get what he is saying. To me, he is basically saying "I have a title shot now so why risk it on someone who isn't in line for a shot?" I may not agree with the thought process but I can understand it. Phone Post 3.0
9/2/14 3:29 AM
5/19/14
orcus - Funny coming from a guy who lost to Phil Davis, and whose biggest win is a decision over Shogun, who passed his expiration date a long time ago.
/thread Phone Post 3.0
9/2/14 3:30 AM
6/27/13
Bisping=StillGatekeeper4Life - Gus should have just kept his mouth. I say give Gus a rematch with Phil and lets see how he does. I bet the outcome would be similar to the first fight. Phone Post 3.0

Gus would actually finish Davis pretty quickly now.

AJ couldn't
9/2/14 3:35 AM
3/2/11
thestoebz - 
Bisping=StillGatekeeper4Life - Gus should have just kept his mouth. I say give Gus a rematch with Phil and lets see how he does. I bet the outcome would be similar to the first fight. Phone Post 3.0

Gus would actually finish Davis pretty quickly now.

AJ couldn't

Coulda woulda...

Talk is cheap, until you know, there is no fact.

9/2/14 4:02 AM
6/29/09
gus don't be scared homie, just fight rumble and take that ass whoppin he's gonna give to you.
9/2/14 4:04 AM
6/27/13
BJJkilla - gus don't be scared homie, just fight rumble and take that ass whoppin he's gonna give to you.

Rumble wont whoop shit aside from old men and wrestlers with poor striking. Gonna go watch Vitor rip him in half again.
9/2/14 4:10 AM
3/2/11
thestoebz - 
BJJkilla - gus don't be scared homie, just fight rumble and take that ass whoppin he's gonna give to you.

Rumble wont whoop shit aside from old men and wrestlers with poor striking. Gonna go watch Vitor rip him in half again.

You mean the Vitor in mid TRT binge at MW while Johnson was in full weight flux, just before TRT Vitor almost snapped Jones' elbow off in the next fight?

Why again is losing to Vitor 2 1/2 years ago in his weight cutting clusterfuck and Vitor on rocket fuel some automatic Kybosh on his skills?

Oh and GUS was ready for a title shot 2 1/2 years after getting beat buy Davis, so your opinion is that, only Gus can improve in 2 1/2 years time to a contender level. The same amount of time from now that AJ fought Vitor on TRT

9/2/14 4:15 AM
6/27/13
ChaosOverkill - 
thestoebz - 

You mean the Vitor in mid TRT binge at MW while Johnson was in full weight flux, just before TRT Vitor almost snapped Jones' elbow off in the next fight?

Why again is losing to Vitor 2 1/2 years ago in his weight cutting clusterfuck and Vitor on rocket fuel some automatic Kybosh on his skills?

Oh and Rumble was ready for a title shot 2 1/2 years after getting beat buy Davis, so your opinion is that, only Gus can improve in 2 1/2 years time to a contender level. The same amount of time from now that AJ fought Vitor on TRT

Same as people bringing up a 3 year or so old loss to Davis.

Are you Brazilian by the by?
9/2/14 4:19 AM
3/2/11
thestoebz - 
ChaosOverkill - 
thestoebz - 

Oh and Rumble was ready for a title shot 2 1/2 years after getting beat buy Davis, so your opinion is that, only Gus can improve in 2 1/2 years time to a contender level. The same amount of time from now that AJ fought Vitor on TRT

Sure kid whatever, 2/12 years was the time where both fighters have "improved from their last loss" where Gus got his title shot and where Rumble is now since he lost to Vitor. Gus has since lost to Jones at said "Improved state since Davis loss" and beat Manuwa and is now rusting on the shelf. I don't see either really teaching him shit since Jones and he didn't prove his grappling is any better, besides some takedown defence in the Jones fight.

Please point out what makes Gus's learning curve factually better than AJ's

9/2/14 4:24 AM
3/2/11

And No I am Canadian and fans of neither guy. DC is my horse, and I wouldn't pick AJ as a favorite vs Gus, but it's not some slaughter like you seem to be trying to prove is the factual result of that fight by "Time since last lost" and "He lost to Vitor"

A bunch of people lost to TRT Vitor that are pretty good. He also completely destroyed a fighter that Rashad and Bader couldn't put a dent in, in 30 seconds with boxing which apart from his weight, was his main weakness. Gus Wrestling is his weakness in comparison. The key is who is better at the other's strength, and thus a close legit fight, and if need to troll away my points, I'm already expecting it.

9/2/14 4:28 AM
6/27/13
ChaosOverkill - 
thestoebz - 
ChaosOverkill - 
thestoebz - 

Sure kid whatever, 2/12 years was the time where both fighters have "improved from their last loss" where Gus got his title shot and where Rumble is now since he lost to Vitor. Gus has since lost to Jones at said "Improved state since Davis loss" and beat Manuwa and is now rusting on the shelf. I don't see either really teaching him shit since Jones and he didn't prove his grappling is any better, besides some takedown defence in the Jones fight.

Please point out what makes Gus's learning curve factually better than AJ's

How he stayed in the UFC & fought for the title in a near draw with the p4p number one.

Rumble has shown a pattern of cRumbling when he can't bully someone. Sorry I ain't on the Rumble Kool Aid, nor do I sit on a forum all day letting people sway my opinion of a fighter. cRumble wouldn't even make it out of round 2 against DC, Gus or Jones if he couldnt put a standing Phil away with his uber slow brickfists.