UnderGround Forums Here’s the REAL story with LESLIE SMITH.

4/20/18 10:24 PM
6/30/17

Anybody defending the UFC on this, needs to have their head examined...

https://youtu.be/843sLMc8FMk

4/20/18 10:36 PM
4/14/18
I just don't care. Not for her, at least. Now, guys/gals who move the needle and sell tix, THEY deserve more. But I am not against a minimum wage type of entry level fee. Just my nickel's worth.
4/20/18 10:52 PM
4/11/10

4/20/18 10:56 PM
1/1/01
It's a little misleading to say she got cut. It sounds like she was paid for the fight, and it was the last fight on her contract.

I'm a little shocked they wouldn't resign her, considering how dire the W135 division is right now.
4/20/18 11:00 PM
1/30/16

She blows, no biggie

4/20/18 11:03 PM
5/17/08

cut all women while they're at it.

4/20/18 11:05 PM
4/14/18
Gullivers Travels - 

But not Ronda Rousey. She can stay in the top 15 as long as she pleases.
4/20/18 11:10 PM
1/1/01
UG Original June 2002 - 
Gullivers Travels - 

But not Ronda Rousey. She can stay in the top 15 as long as she pleases.

Ronda is not ranked anymore.

4/20/18 11:42 PM
1/1/01

Man... I am VERY pro fighter 

but by her own words, she was unprofessional when dealing with the UFC staff and as she put it antagonized them.

then she cried at the end of the interview as if she were a victim

its difficult for me to get behind the cause of someone that torments an employer and then get their walking papers. 

With that said, I hope that a fighter Union happens 

4/20/18 11:42 PM
1/1/01
She knew what would happen and still chose the easy money instead of going out like a warrior, earning it and entertaining the fans.

And cries.

Consequences.

Bye.
4/21/18 12:09 AM
3/12/18
Big Wes -

Man... I am VERY pro fighter 

but by her own words, she was unprofessional when dealing with the UFC staff and as she put it antagonized them.

then she cried at the end of the interview as if she were a victim

its difficult for me to get behind the cause of someone that torments an employer and then get their walking papers. 

With that said, I hope that a fighter Union happens 

The man has spoken!

and yes Wes I hope you get your wish it’s time for a union. There’s gotta be some level of revenue sharing that is fair for both sides. 

4/21/18 3:41 AM
2/27/12

I must need my head examined because I am with the UFC on this one.

She wanted to exercise her right to receive all the money, both show and win, without taking any risks such as fighting .

That is disgusting.  She has just been through a full camp to do just that.  To take a fight. Take a risk and put on a show for the fans who have purchased tickets.

If I was in charge I would have paid her off and have nothing more to do with her.

4/21/18 7:24 AM
6/30/07

She tried to flex and the millionaires didn't blink.

4/21/18 9:07 AM
8/16/17

So she knew she would be cut but decided to take the guaranteed money instead of fighting someone she claims to be very confident of beating. With a win she gets the same amount of money (potentially more with a performance bonus), more exposure to the public, and possibly re-signing for the same or better deal. Now she will likely take a massive pay cut in a lower organization. Seems to me like she played her cards poorly. 

4/21/18 9:34 AM
11/20/05

"And since I had the chance to get the money and not fight, then I would have been fighting for free."

She deserved to be cut, for being a moron if nothing else. Bye bye, I'm with the UFC on this too. Her fights have been nothing more than a piss break for the audience. Well, except the enjoyable Cyborg beating.

4/21/18 9:44 AM
1/14/12

She's an entertaining fighter for the women's division but doesn't she have a manager or a coach to explain that taking the fight was in her best interest.

4/21/18 10:36 AM
5/9/06

She may actually have some valid, arguable points. My opinion is that her attitude and tone are just terrible for trying to convey or argue her side. Just based on what she said here, and how she said it, I 100% understand why the alphabet doesn’t want to be in business with her. 

Its td a shame too. I think she probably could accomplish some things if she could communicate better. I get it that she’s a fighter who feels she’s been treated unfairly and is pissed off. That said, I think she needs help communicating. 

4/21/18 10:47 AM
5/9/06
BigTedBear -

She's an entertaining fighter for the women's division but doesn't she have a manager or a coach to explain that taking the fight was in her best interest.

She was convinced (and said she was even told) that they were not renewing her contract regardless. If that’s true, $56,000 garunteed vs $35,000 garunteed (+ potentially $26,000 win bonus + very unlikely FotN bonus) is not a bad choice. 

If there was a glimmer of hope of a new or extended contract, then maybe a bad choice. But I’m taking her at her word , and in that case I’d have probably done the same. 

I still think she is very bad at expressing herself though. 

4/21/18 10:56 AM
6/1/07
Nobody is at fault. The UFC has every right to choose who they do business with, and Leslie had every right to take the money and run.

Those saying she should have fought are foolish. Why would she risk losing out on $25K and potentially getting injured for an employer who flat-out told her they aren't interested in retaining her services? By taking the money, she not only guaranteed her income, but she also increased her chances of getting an extra payday this year. Given how much damage she takes when she fights, she likely would have been sidelined by the athletic commission for 3-6 months if she had fought. Why take that risk?
4/21/18 11:08 AM
3/21/08

She sounds like a complete asshole. Negotiations and leverage. She sucks and no one cares about her fights. You have to get out there and make yourself indispensable before you start acting like an asshole. She can go fight for another organization now. Stupid career move. Should have worked out a deal and taken the fight.

4/21/18 11:12 AM
1/15/07
Competitive Architecture - 

So she knew she would be cut but decided to take the guaranteed money instead of fighting someone she claims to be very confident of beating. With a win she gets the same amount of money (potentially more with a performance bonus), more exposure to the public, and possibly re-signing for the same or better deal. Now she will likely take a massive pay cut in a lower organization. Seems to me like she played her cards poorly. 

Well said.

4/21/18 12:44 PM
5/9/06
Steve4192 - Nobody is at fault. The UFC has every right to choose who they do business with, and Leslie had every right to take the money and run.

Those saying she should have fought are foolish. Why would she risk losing out on $25K and potentially getting injured for an employer who flat-out told her they aren't interested in retaining her services? By taking the money, she not only guaranteed her income, but she also increased her chances of getting an extra payday this year. Given how much damage she takes when she fights, she likely would have been sidelined by the athletic commission for 3-6 months if she had fought. Why take that risk?

Exactly. I think people are missing the part where she said they told her they were not resigning her before she made the decision to not fight. It didn’t matter, they were not re signing her regardless. 

4/21/18 12:52 PM
12/26/10

Wait I thought the UFC didn't have enough money to pay show AND win money for fights that don't happen? 

I wonder what's different with this fighter?

4/21/18 12:57 PM
11/12/11
Farthammer -

Wait I thought the UFC didn't have enough money to pay show AND win money for fights that don't happen? 

I wonder what's different with this fighter?

Did she not say there was a special clause in the contract for this card?

4/21/18 1:14 PM
3/24/17
Competitive Architecture -

Agreed. Very poorly played. This is why managers/handlers get 10%. 

She’s a fucking idiot