UnderGround Forums Holloway Striking Looks Awful

10 days ago
5/11/10
But it's not, his striking is technical and aggressive as fuck. Exciting to watch but not aesthetically pleasing. Sort of like watching Joe Calzaghe box. It's excellent boxing but it constantly looks like it shouldn't be working.
Edited: 10 days ago
8/19/17

You mentioned him, so now I'm popping in Calzaghe vs Left Hook Lacy. That was a great fight as far as one sided beatbeatdowns go! Thanks for the tip Hollowanus

9 days ago
8/19/13

I don’t think it’s awful it’s just not flashy. He’s very technical with his feet. Some of the best and most subtle footwork in MMA.

9 days ago
5/11/10
MR31 -

You mentioned him, so now I'm popping in Calzaghe vs Left Hook Lacy. That was a great fight as far as one sided beatbeatdowns go! Thanks for the tip Hollowanus

Haha, Hollowed my anus twice now apparently.
9 days ago
5/11/10
IronWill -

I don’t think it’s awful it’s just not flashy. He’s very technical with his feet. Some of the best and most subtle footwork in MMA.

No its not awful, his striking is fucking great! I just said it LOOKS awful. It's exciting and technical but I dunno, just not a lot of finesse to it.
9 days ago
12/9/13
MaxHollowedMyAnus -
IronWill -

No its not awful, his striking is fucking great! I just said it LOOKS awful. It's exciting and technical but I dunno, just not a lot of finesse to it.

its faster as you think, popopopopop

9 days ago
8/15/11
Calzaghe is a terrible example for someone whose striking looks bad. Sure it's a bit slappy but it definitely doesn't look anywhere near what would be classed as "bad"
9 days ago
7/27/04

On Luke Thomas's podcast Monday morning analyst he spoke at great length on how elite his striking strategy for the two aldo fights.he said he would go corcle one way for a while then flip it then circle the other way and I think he said overload aldos hips.and his bodyshots.

9 days ago
5/11/10
EKPOGI -

On Luke Thomas's podcast Monday morning analyst he spoke at great length on how elite his striking strategy for the two aldo fights.he said he would go corcle one way for a while then flip it then circle the other way and I think he said overload aldos hips.and his bodyshots.

That sounds like a quality listen. Can you link?
9 days ago
2/14/11
MaxHollowedMyAnus -
EKPOGI -

That sounds like a quality listen. Can you link?

9 days ago
8/19/17
shawarma - Calzaghe is a terrible example for someone whose striking looks bad. Sure it's a bit slappy but it definitely doesn't look anywhere near what would be classed as "bad"

Joe is fucking awesome. I normally don't like people from Wales, but I made an exception for him.

9 days ago
6/8/10
Nick is the same way, those slapping slow punches don't look like they would hurt anyone yet it works.
Edited: 9 days ago
7/23/10

His striking is very effective in a Diaz-esque sort of way. Reminds me of Strikeforce-era Nick.

9 days ago
3/6/05
Short reach is all
9 days ago
4/21/09
His striking reminds me allot of the Diaz Bros. I would say not a bad pair to imitate as far as boxing goes.
9 days ago
4/21/09
jasperb - Nick is the same way, those slapping slow punches don't look like they would hurt anyone yet it works.
I think in a boxing match it wouldn't. But getting hit repeatedly with tiny gloves, no matter how hard, will eventually wear a guy down.
9 days ago
1/16/12

MMA striking game- 9/10

Boxing game if this was boxing 6/10

People forget that this isn't boxing. There is actually a huge difference between 4oz and 8oz gloves. Not just a difference in defense but mainly striking. Your stance, style, strikes have to match your genetics and consciously/subconsciously fight a real fight to win. 

Conor is however on a different level then anyone in MMA with striking. 

9 days ago
7/29/15
Acidic -

MMA striking game- 9/10

People forget that this isn't boxing. There is actually a huge difference between 4oz and 8oz gloves. Not just a difference in defense but mainly striking. Your stance, style, strikes have to match your genetics and consciously/subconsciously fight a real fight to win. 

Thanks tips

9 days ago
6/30/17
MaxHollowedMyAnus - But it's not, his striking is technical and aggressive as fuck. Exciting to watch but not aesthetically pleasing. Sort of like watching Joe Calzaghe box. It's excellent boxing but it constantly looks like it shouldn't be working.

That’s actually a really good comparison.

It is like watching Calzaghe! Haha!

9 days ago
7/10/11

He has an iron chin and can slip punches in the pocket whic allows him to return fire from an ideal position.

Hes also 25 and doesnt have as many miles on him as his opponents. In 10 yrs some 25 yr

old we havent heard of will do to him what he did to Aldo. Its the way the game goes...

8 days ago
5/11/10
ChomskyBlackBelt -
MaxHollowedMyAnus - But it's not, his striking is technical and aggressive as fuck. Exciting to watch but not aesthetically pleasing. Sort of like watching Joe Calzaghe box. It's excellent boxing but it constantly looks like it shouldn't be working.

That’s actually a really good comparison.

It is like watching Calzaghe! Haha!

Cheers man ^^
8 days ago
7/4/11
Giventofly99 -

He has an iron chin and can slip punches in the pocket whic allows him to return fire from an ideal position.

Hes also 25 and doesnt have as many miles on him as his opponents. In 10 yrs some 25 yr

old we havent heard of will do to him what he did to Aldo. Its the way the game goes...

It's insane to consider Aldo's first fight came when he was 18, about a decade and a half ago. Age is so much less important than mileage or as some pundits like to say your physiologic age. Aldo's been through a lot and was the best for a long time. 

Be interesting to see if Holloway can carve out his own GOAT legend with a few more wins. 

Edited: 8 days ago
7/4/11
jasperb - Nick is the same way, those slapping slow punches don't look like they would hurt anyone yet it works.

Nick v Daley was one of the best examples of that. Nick looks like he's being mauled and Daley seems like he's laughing off the shots, but Nick just wont drop and suddenly Daley starts to wilt and collapse. 

Edit: Just won't stop, he most certainly dropped in that fight. 

8 days ago
6/28/10
Acidic -

MMA striking game- 9/10

Except for Nate Diaz who he can't finish. Max Holloway who he can't finish. A real boxer. But yeah, he's def on another level.

8 days ago
1/1/01
I'm sure the world champion is upset about KKM's evaluation. If he will listen to the keyboard warrior's advice he has a chance to be somebody.

Maybe you should offer your expertise - fly to Hawaii and improve his striking so it "looks" good.