UnderGround Forums How good was foreman?

5/22/18 10:01 AM
1/1/01

Just watched the doco on him, and curious how the boxing experts rate him as GOAT HW?

Top 20, top 10?

5/22/18 10:08 AM
7/2/10

His grills make a mean burger

5/22/18 10:27 AM
4/23/02
TOP 10-12 OVER ALL

TOP 2 OR 3 POWER
5/22/18 10:39 AM
1/1/01
Pretjah -
TOP 10-12 OVER ALL

TOP 2 OR 3 POWER

And if he hadn't become a preacher in his prime?

Really enjoyed the movie about him, only knew about him losing to the rope a dope before watching it.

5/22/18 10:40 AM
1/1/01
Easily top 20... Arguably top 10.

If 70's era Foreman had 90's era Foreman's maturity, probably top 3.
5/22/18 10:44 AM
1/1/01

Started boxing at 17 too pretty crazy talent

5/22/18 10:56 AM
2/17/03
I think he is top 10.

He won the heavyweight title during a golden age of heavyweight boxing, beating Frazier. Won the title again as a middle aged man. Took Holyfield to the brink.
5/22/18 10:58 AM
1/1/01
wiggum - I think he is top 10.

He won the heavyweight title during a golden age of heavyweight boxing, beating Frazier. Won the title again as a middle aged man. Took Holyfield to the brink.

He didn't just beat Frazier, he destroyed him... Not once, but twice. And Frazier is a legend and top 10 in his own right.
5/22/18 11:14 AM
2/17/03
amadeus - 
wiggum - I think he is top 10.

He didn't just beat Frazier, he destroyed him... Not once, but twice. And Frazier is a legend and top 10 in his own right.

Yeah. And he probably beats Frazier 10/10 times.

Frazier is easily top 10. Moments away from being 2-1 against Ali.

5/22/18 12:45 PM
12/30/12

About 4th-6th. Heaviest hands ever. His resume is just staggering in terms of depth and how he won.

5/22/18 1:12 PM
1/1/01
One of the better Jewish boxers. Cotto TKOed him and he just lost his last fight to Lara.
Edited: 5/22/18 2:48 PM
11/5/16

Should be in top 10. If he had the maturity , patience and jab he had when he was older, he’d be top 5 for sure. 

5/22/18 2:50 PM
12/1/03
He grew up in the same hood as Lester Hayes of the Raiders. Hayes said that Foreman would stand in front of a liquor store and punch people that walked by. He said George would walk up to a group of men and tell them to give him their wallets. They always did.
5/22/18 2:57 PM
1/1/01
Telamon - He grew up in the same hood as Lester Hayes of the Raiders. Hayes said that Foreman would stand in front of a liquor store and punch people that walked by. He said George would walk up to a group of men and tell them to give him their wallets. They always did.

By all accounts George was a scary dude before he found boxing. Not unlike Tyson... Cool to see how much he turned his life around.
Edited: 5/22/18 3:04 PM
1/1/01

Good enough that you wouldn't want to be his heavy bag.
5/22/18 3:12 PM
1/18/03
Top 3 for sure.

Was HW Champ during the golden age, and while he did lose to Ali, it's fair to say that Ali ducked a rematch.

Then he retired...and if that was the end of George Foreman as a fighter he would still be a legend.

Then he did a miraculous comeback to have a whole second career, a career in which Mike Tyson deliberately ducked him,and went on to be the champ again.

5/22/18 3:16 PM
1/22/05
Foreman was very good. He hit like a monster and cut off the ring very well. Remember, this was a guy who had his first amateur fight in 1967 and went onto win the gold medal at the Olympics the next year.

He has to be up there in the top 10 of all time IMO. He was champion in the golden age of heavyweight boxing. He walked through Ken Norton and Joe Frazier like they were nothing. The same Joe Frazier that had battered Ali less than two years earlier.

I think with the right preparation, he could have beaten Ali. But he thought he was invincible, and up until that point - he pretty much was. He was 40-0 with almost every win coming by early KO.

After he lost to Ali he was never the same. Ron Lyle could have very well beaten him in his next fight - it was an absolute war, and George had someone looking down on him in that fight - because he was very lucky to win.

I'd put him there against Wilder or Anthony Joshua any day of the week. Nobody hit like George.

5/22/18 3:53 PM
2/17/03
JOB - Foreman was very good. He hit like a monster and cut off the ring very well. Remember, this was a guy who had his first amateur fight in 1967 and went onto win the gold medal at the Olympics the next year.

He has to be up there in the top 10 of all time IMO. He was champion in the golden age of heavyweight boxing. He walked through Ken Norton and Joe Frazier like they were nothing. The same Joe Frazier that had battered Ali less than two years earlier.

I think with the right preparation, he could have beaten Ali. But he thought he was invincible, and up until that point - he pretty much was. He was 40-0 with almost every win coming by early KO.

After he lost to Ali he was never the same. Ron Lyle could have very well beaten him in his next fight - it was an absolute war, and George had someone looking down on him in that fight - because he was very lucky to win.

I'd put him there against Wilder or Anthony Joshua any day of the week. Nobody hit like George.

Word.

One thing to consider is that there was one person prime, killer Tyson wanted nothing to do with: Old Man Foreman.
Edited: 5/22/18 4:05 PM
11/14/06
He survived WW2 and Korea. Hates teenagers. He'd put his foot in your ass.
5/22/18 4:18 PM
1/30/10
wiggum -
JOB - Foreman was very good. He hit like a monster and cut off the ring very well. Remember, this was a guy who had his first amateur fight in 1967 and went onto win the gold medal at the Olympics the next year.

Word.

One thing to consider is that there was one person prime, killer Tyson wanted nothing to do with: Old Man Foreman.

Oh please this is BS.....Tyson would’ve knocked out foreman .... foreman was slow and came forward , perfect style for Tyson to knock him out ....  Tyson could’ve ducked Holmes , a lot of people were picking Holmes over Tyson , holmes had a similar Ali style , and Tyson still took that fight and KOd him silly 

5/22/18 4:20 PM
1/1/01
dios - 
wiggum -

Word.

Oh please this is BS.....Tyson would’ve knocked out foreman .... foreman was slow and came forward , perfect style for Tyson to knock him out ....  Tyson could’ve ducked Holmes , a lot of people were picking Holmes over Tyson , holmes had a similar Ali style , and Tyson still took that fight and KOd him silly 

The same thing was said of Frazier and look how that turned out... Twice.
5/22/18 4:34 PM
5/15/07
Foreman had an iron chin. Only Ali could knock him out and Tyson is no Ali.
5/22/18 4:38 PM
1/11/10

I don’t know if Tyson ducked him but I remember people weren’t too keen in watching Old man Foreman gets punched by Tyson. Tyson was a very fast and quick heavy puncher while Foreman was an old slow heavy puncher. Frazier and Tyson are completely different fighter so it’s not a good comparison. Boxing fans then were a fan of both but for two different reason. Promoters and boxing fans didn’t want to see Young Mike Tyson kill Old Man Foreman.

But Foreman in his Prime and Tyson in his prime would have been interesting.

5/22/18 4:41 PM
2/17/03
Burt Reynoldz - Foreman had an iron chin. Only Ali could knock him out and Tyson is no Ali.

Right. And that was hugely mental, as well.

Old Man Foreman was tough as nails and still had a chin of iron.
5/22/18 5:12 PM
5/15/07
wiggum - 
Burt Reynoldz - Foreman had an iron chin. Only Ali could knock him out and Tyson is no Ali.

Right. And that was hugely mental, as well.

Old Man Foreman was tough as nails and still had a chin of iron.

He even used to make a joke where he said he will let his opponent wear himself out on his face and then he would beat him up.