UnderGround Forums Is MMA dying? I can't get people excited anymore

10 days ago
2/8/12

I used to have watch party's and BBQs all the time leading up until about 2014.  Then it was mainly my hardcore friends. Then Conor came along and only his fights were huge.  Now, I'm lucky if I get 3-4 friends to plan a watch party.   What's going on? 

10 days ago
2/8/12

I made this thread because I'm SUPER stoked about UFC 220 "Francis Vs Stipe" but it seems no one cares about UFC/MMA anymore..

10 days ago
2/6/15

Not as much to get casuals hyped about. Hell, I haven't even had casuals who use to mention MMA to me , mention Ngannou yet. Dana acts like hes huge.

10 days ago
9/12/06
I'm excited to see that card. Others maybe have developed a tolerance for events because there are so many.
10 days ago
6/30/17

Jesus.... NO.

MMA has never been bigger. 

May I ask how old you are, and have you ever been a fan of boxing OP? I’d genuinely like to know because I can never understand why people bring this up.

MMA has never been bigger, it has never been as widely accepted as a legitimate sport, it has never been as much a part of the mainstream as it is now.

Will it still be so in 5 years? Maybe, maybe not. But the fact is that the popularity of any sport, but especially combat sports, is constantly fluctuating. It goes up and down depending on stars, TV coverage etc.

Whether it’s an up year or down year, MMA isn’t going anywhere.

10 days ago
1/1/01
Part of it is the watering down. Casuals get together for big PPV's, not UFC fight night's. It seems with a lot of PPV's they book it to be an "ok" PPV, then injuries occur and make it not very good. They often now try to overcome these injuries with making fights for interim belts, or PPV belts as I like to call them. Looks like they've done this recipe again for 221 because it's weak beyond the title fight.
10 days ago
7/29/02
I work at a cable company and the only ppvs that even register with customer service are the McGregor fights... or GSP.

Edited: 10 days ago
5/19/17

I have always been posiitve about MMA. In the past when people loved pride or strikeforce, or talked about the past etc.  I always remained positive in the now.  Always emphasised the now and how it is great.  This past year is the first time i am inclined to agree.  Its has lost its momentum for first time since 2002.

10 days ago
2/8/12
Whambo - Part of it is the watering down. Casuals get together for big PPV's, not UFC fight night's. It seems with a lot of PPV's they book it to be an "ok" PPV, then injuries occur and make it not very good. They often now try to overcome these injuries with making fights for interim belts, or PPV belts as I like to call them. Looks like they've done this recipe again for 221 because it's weak beyond the title fight.

I heard the title fight got dropped, Whitaker is injured?

10 days ago
2/8/12
inf0 - I work at a cable company and the only ppvs that even register with customer service are the McGregor fights... or GSP.

Exactly what I thought.  It's sad, I've been watching the PPVs since UFC 50 and never felt this all time low of what's going on.  Hell im a diehard fan and I can't even remember who fought last week, and haven't heard of most fighters outside of the top 5 fights and I follow every event! 

2/8/12
DavidYorkshire -

I have always been posiitve about MMA. In the past when people loved pride or strikeforce, or talked about the past etc.  I always remained positive in the now.  Always emphasised the now and how it is great.  This past year is the first time i am inclined to agree.  Its has lost its momentum for first time since 2002.

You put that very well. And I agree.  I am usually positive but since the sale it seems something changed.  I can't put my finger on it.  

It's a feeling like the UFC is bigger than its ever been before, but yet their star power is at an all time low.

10 days ago
12/9/13

its declining in Europe too

1/6/10

I dont care, the magic is worn off a long time ago. Now it's just like a saussage machine. It has to pump em out no matter what no matter the taste.

10 days ago
11/20/10

We are just in a dead period right now where casual interest has dropped off post Conor/Ronda. Things will pick up again eventually. Its the nature of the business. 

10 days ago
6/30/17
Teenage Mutant Lesnar Turtle -

We are just in a dead period right now where casual interest has dropped off post Conor/Ronda. Things will pick up again eventually. Its the nature of the business. 

Exactly.

2/23/05
Let's see...the UFC has burned the hardcore fans by allowing so many irrelevant matches outside the rankings and such, generally turning a great sport into a superficial spectacle tantamount to the WWE for the sake of PPV buys

The UFC has burned casual fans by hyping the shit out of these fights that inevitably turn out to be garbage

The UFC has burned beloved fighters by paying them next to nothing, cutting them prematurely in favor of some unknown wannabe or screwing them in countless other ways (like the Reebok deal, etc)

and The UFC has burned everyone by charging so much for a watered down, inferior product featuring underpaid nobodies that no one cares about that are being sold as the next great superstars when, in fact, the only superstar the UFC is interested in is the UFC itself

The UFC burns through people like they're a fossil fuel

Maybe people are just tired of being burned?
10 days ago
2/9/14
It boils down to oversaturating the product and Dana's failure to create stars [other than himself] to help the PPV sales and ratings.
10 days ago
4/3/04

wouldnt be like this if the champs were fighting actual number one contenders instead of picking and choosing.

I don't buy PPV's any more because they are normally lame

10 days ago
4/20/05
Pierre St-George - 

I dont care, the magic is worn off a long time ago. Now it's just like a saussage machine. It has to pump em out no matter what no matter the taste.

4/29/12

Some belts being devalued has taken some of the hype from the UFC to me. 

10 days ago
2/28/13

My friends only watch the fights when Conor, Ronda, Jones or the Diaz brothers fight..so yeah, they don't watch mma anymore 

10 days ago
9/27/15
I've Ben wondering this fir a long time..I used to have 4-5 friends and wed get together for most ufc ppvs..after a few disappointments and boring events they started to lose interest..it came down to just me occasionally ordering the ppvs but then I got turned off by stale fights, injuries etc..now I rarely if ever order ppvs and mma is no longer the water cooler talk anymore around here..when Hughes GSPp and Liddell were on top people were hyped but now? Not really unlessConor is fighting..

I was sacked Cyborg got that many buys..I know maybe 3 people who know who she is but no way would they order her ppv..

Stipe/Ngannou is a huge fight for me but again, no one knows who Stipe is let alone Ngannou.ufc has did a terrible job at promoting Stipe, their hvwt champion!

10 days ago
8/28/17

Exact same thing here. Used to always go to watch parties or order them myself and now no one gives a shit.

10 days ago
2/4/07
It's oversaturation. How many guys could you get together to watch an average basketball or baseball game?
10 days ago
3/21/12
Three years ago called friend