UnderGround Forums Is McGregor’s superstardom at stake at UFC 246?

14 days ago
1/1/01

Mike Chiappetta for MMA Fighting: "The last time [Conor] had his arms raised in victory, Donald Trump ... had yet to be inaugurated into office.

"In the time since, the world has changed economically, geopolitically, and culturally. The business of sports has also changed, along with our definition of stardom. The streaming wars and the explosion of content platforms has changed everything, and McGregor has mostly been sitting on the sidelines during much of it. Yes, he still carries cachet, and he is bound to capture the attention of the sports world when he arrives in the cage across from Donald Cerrone. But at this point, all of that is in danger of evaporating with a loss.

We live in a world of immediacy and results. With his long MMA absences, McGregor has provided neither. He may still hold his bond with certain fans through social media – he has nearly 50 million combined followers on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook – but his success is far enough in the rearview mirror that it may seem to many like nostalgia."

"Casual sports fans who caught on to McGregor-mania late and tuned in to see what the noise was about may have only experienced his high-profile losses to Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2018 and Floyd Mayweather in 2017. In those instances, viewers may have left wondering if he was more hype than substance, unaware of the significant and well-earned accomplishments that came before.

"Furthermore, his recent past is littered with a series of troubling events."

"McGregor has work to do to try to win over those who left him behind, a task that is particularly fraught with danger because this time, he is supposed to win. Against Nurmagomedov, he was a moderate underdog; against Mayweather, he was a sizable underdog. Anyone could at least rationalize those defeats due to style and experience, respectively. But not this one. This one, he has to win." 

14 days ago
6/22/06
To answer the OP's question:

YES
14 days ago
1/1/01

Yes.

Massively important fight for Conor' public profile.

He had much of the world jeering at him after watching him get beat up by Floyd and then Khabib. If you watch Conor videos so many of the comments are now that he's a loser and quitter.
He used to have an almost indestructible vibe. Especially after the Eddie fight. But, like Ronda's losses the tide has turned.

Ronda turned it around somewhat by putting on great performances in the WWE.

Conor's crazy confidence and smack talking shtick was only compelling insofar as he was winning. It doesn't fly much if he keeps losing.

This is do or die for Conor, I think.
Edited: 13 days ago
5/21/12
prof -
Yes.

He had much of the world jeering at him after watching him get beat up by Floyd and then Khabib. If you watch Conor videos so many of the comments are now that he's a loser and quitter.
He used to have an almost indestructible vibe. Especially after the Eddie fight. But, like Ronda's losses the tide has turned.

Conor's crazy confidence and smack talking shtick was only compelling insofar as he was winning. It doesn't fly much if he keeps losing.

Agreed but on the flip side all it takes is a highlight reel worthy KO against Cowboy for everyone to completely turn around and start worshiping him again.

Just watch this place if it happens next week, you’ll see endless threads about how he should get a WW title shot and other ridiculous match ups where he would definitely win.

13 days ago
1/2/20
conor could lose 5 in a row and would still be a massive star. his celebrity transcends wins and losses imo.
13 days ago
1/1/01

Well, there are already so many people saying Cowboy is in the fight to lose, it's an easy fight for Conor, there will still be a lot of cynics even if he wins. "So he beat some aging fighter on a losing streak."
13 days ago
5/21/12

Win or lose he will still be the UFC’s biggest draw. Masvidal would probably be just behind him but I’d still think Conor would do better numbers wise.

Lets say he loses against Cowboy, I think he’d do better numbers if he fought Gaethje than Masvidal vs Usman. 

13 days ago
11/24/13

I don't even feel the hype is there for this fight the same as in the past. Maybe just not as much advertisement, plus the card is super weak. 

13 days ago
5/18/18

Man you guys underestimate Cowboy. He’s a bad ass and has a lot of finishes standing and on the ground. When you think that he’s gonna brawl, like against Perry, he takes it right to the ground and finishes. 

Conor has never been KO’d so Cowboy will probably go for the take down right away. Or a fake takedown and a head kick instead. 
Conor has his work cut out for him. It will be a tough fight either way.   

13 days ago
3/7/07

Conor has twice the Instagram followers that the UFC has. His stardom is not at stake. He can’t get handled like he did bs Khabib too many times before people see through the stardom but he’s going to be fine win or lose against Cowboy.

13 days ago
3/20/12

yes 

mma aura would fade

13 days ago
1/1/01
CMFanforlife - 

Man you guys underestimate Cowboy. He’s a bad ass and has a lot of finishes standing and on the ground. When you think that he’s gonna brawl, like against Perry, he takes it right to the ground and finishes. 

Conor has never been KO’d so Cowboy will probably go for the take down right away. Or a fake takedown and a head kick instead. 

I'm not underestimating Cowboy.

I can see Cowboy landing one of those sneaky head-kicks and taking Conor out in one of the later rounds.

It sure will be interesting to see what type of fighting shape Conor shows up in.
13 days ago
4/13/07
Fedoral Crime -
prof -
Yes.

Agreed but on the flip side all it takes is a highlight reel worthy KO against Cowboy for everyone to completely turn around and start worshiping him again.

Just watch this place if it happens next week, you’ll see endless threads about how he should get a WW title shot and other ridiculous match ups where he would definitely win.

That’s not the flip side. That’s just supporting what the article is saying. If he wins, he will remain a huge superstar. 

1/1/01
The Aura is long gone. The excitement for this fight isnt the same. Conor hasnt won a fight in over 3 years and he's coming back to fight an aging journeyman.
13 days ago
10/3/11

Absolutely,  every mainstream fan & fanboy expects him to win,  but Cowboy has a real chance to take this, partly because of McG's arrogance, reduced speed,  and being a bitch on the ground. 

13 days ago
9/15/13

Bad fight for cowboy i think most of us fans know. Cowboys notoriously a slow starter, bad against southpaws, bad against ko artisits, struggles with people shit talking. The match is tailored for conor. Cowboy can defo win but my god in my eyes its a serious upset. Conor losing to floyd and khabib isnt exactly career destroying i dont know anyone thats beat either of them...

13 days ago
9/20/13

13 days ago
12/22/19
CMFanforlife -

I agree Cowbiy is a bad ass. 

but Perry took him down lol. He spent almost the entire first round on the feet, attempted a shot that was more of a set up to get off the cage. Perry countered and took him down after and openly did interviews about how dumb that was.

Cowboy has averaged half a takedown a fight, or 0.217 takedowns per round, over his last 10 fights. 

He will attempt 1 takedown, maybe 2 max but he literally never "takes it right to the ground and finishes". 

13 days ago
3/21/12
Rambo John J - 

yes 

mma aura would fade

The aura left with him being finished by Khabib
13 days ago
12/22/19
lamedroid -

Absolutely,  every mainstream fan & fanboy expects him to win,  but Cowboy has a real chance to take this, partly because of McG's arrogance, reduced speed,  and being a bitch on the ground. 

Dude he handfought Khabibs grips better than anyone on the ground. He's not a ground guy but "bitch on the ground" seems pretty hyperbolic considering how well he did keep Khabib from doing damage until the end came. CM is more well rounded than anyone gives him credit for. You're parroting casual narratives. 

13 days ago
4/21/09

One great thing about mma you can lose a few fights but one great performance will erase the loses. Especially a star like McGregor.

Hell look at cowboy. He wins about 50% of his fights and is still a huge star in mma circles and to casuals.

13 days ago
8/13/13

Conor is his own head coach this fight, he won't be pushing himself like he should. 

Cowboy just needs to survive the first round and he's sweet, he took a beating from Tony which gives me confidence also. 

7/19/13

Superstardom? At this point he’s fighting to remain relevant at all! He needs to win a few high profile fights in a row to be at the “superstar” level again. He’s on the BJ Penn fall path..