UnderGround Forums Larry Holmes: Don’t sell McGregor short

3 days ago
9/7/04
August 11, 2017
Larry Holmes: Don’t sell McGregor short

By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing

Former world heavyweight champion Larry Holmes has predicted that Conor McGregor can cause a major upset when he clashes with Floyd Mayweather on August 26 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.”Don’t sell McGregor short,” Holmes said to the Bald Faced Truth Radio Show. “He doesn’t have to do too much to win. All he has to do is get him in the corner and bang him. Put his hands up over his head, get down low, keep coming in and throw punches once you get him against the ropes.

“He’s going to tie him up and try to hit him on the break. (McGregor has to) put his hands up, stay right on top of him and keep him from hitting him. It’s going to be an interesting fight. People are selling (McGregor) short. This guy is an athlete. He sees a lot of money, and he sees a medal on his chest if he can get over this hump,” Holmes said.
3 days ago
9/7/04
3 days ago
9/7/04
3 days ago
11/16/16

is he related to George Holmes?

3 days ago
11/16/13

Good post OP...

3 days ago
1/1/01
Biggest Holmes fan but he is 100% wrong. Conor has no chance.
3 days ago
10/19/16
rushinbear - Biggest Holmes fan but he is 100% wrong. Conor has no chance.

Oh ok, no reason for him to show up then. Thanks for putting it to rest, dork. 

3 days ago
1/1/01
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

his reason for showing up is the pay day
3 days ago
1/1/01
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

As a competitive boxing match this should never ever have happened. But as cruedi just stated, it is ONLY and I repeat ONLY for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Edited: 3 days ago
1/1/01
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

pssst, and you do know that little gif up there with words Larry Holmes under it isn't really Larry Holmes. I only say this as I'm not sure how much boxing knowledge you have.
3 days ago
1/1/01
rushinbear - Biggest Holmes fan but he is 100% wrong. Conor has no chance.

i don't take holmes too serious. he hates everyone and is vey bitter about a lot of things. he hates all guys who didn't just go out and fight when told and take whatever pay was offered. he doesn't care for floyd and would love to see him get beat, that's where this is coming from

3 days ago
10/19/16
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

pssst, and you do know that little gif up there with words Larry Holmes under it isn't really Larry Holmes. I only say this as I'm not sure how much boxing knowledge you have.

I'm well aware of who Larry Holmes is and boxing is my first love as a sport. I just refuse to hate on this match. I think the first 5-6 rounds of this fight are going to be very exciting. I agree everything on earth points to Mayweather should win easily, I just don't see this being a pushover fight. Conor is a very unique athlete and has a very high fight IQ. I think his unorthodox style is going to present some problems for Floyd early. 

3 days ago
1/1/01
pharochuck - 

i don't take holmes too serious. he hates everyone and is vey bitter about a lot of things. he hates all guys who didn't just go out and fight when told and take whatever pay was offered. he doesn't care for floyd and would love to see him get beat, that's where this is coming from

I knew about the first half of your response but not that Floyd hate. thanks

and Larry is a very wealthy man, wise investments...
3 days ago
1/1/01
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

I'm well aware of who Larry Holmes is and boxing is my first love as a sport. I just refuse to hate on this match. I think the first 5-6 rounds of this fight are going to be very exciting. I agree everything on earth points to Mayweather should win easily, I just don't see this being a pushover fight. Conor is a very unique athlete and has a very high fight IQ. I think his unorthodox style is going to present some problems for Floyd early. 

I almost see this in the same light as CM Punk / Mickey Gall... It could be that lopsided easily (if Floyd doesn't want to warm up a few rounds first).
3 days ago
10/19/16
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

I almost see this in the same light as CM Punk / Mickey Gall... It could be that lopsided easily (if Floyd doesn't want to warm up a few rounds first).

That's not fair at all. CM had zero fight experience. That is incredibly disrespectful to world champion fighter like Conor. This isn't the first time he put boxing gloves on and punched people, you know that right? 

3 days ago
7/8/16

It's cool to disrespect 2 time world champs here I guess. Anywho the ref should really just be a prop and decide before the fight how many seconds he's gonna let them clinch. The longer the more competitive it can. The shorter it favors Floyd obviously. Maybe Conor does some pushing around though like old Rocky movies and tells the referee to piss off.  

3 days ago
1/1/01
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

That's not fair at all. CM had zero fight experience. That is incredibly disrespectful to world champion fighter like Conor. This isn't the first time he put boxing gloves on and punched people, you know that right? 

The difference in mma experience between Punk and Gall is no less than the boxing experience between Conor and Floyd. If you can provide some of Conor's boxing match experience then maybe I would consider. By my knowledge is Conor has no boxing experience.
3 days ago
1/1/01
rushinbear - 
pharochuck - 

I knew about the first half of your response but not that Floyd hate. thanks

and Larry is a very wealthy man, wise investments...

he doesn't like 'businessman' type fighters. sugar ray, oscar, floyd. he also hates the flashy guys, with cars and entourages. if you ever get a chance to talk with him, just bring up that subject and let him go to work

his thing is, boxing is such a hard way to make a living, why on earth would you go blow your money on frivilous things? and why would you push that message to the kids?

3 days ago
6/17/12
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

The difference in mma experience between Punk and Gall is no less than the boxing experience between Conor and Floyd. If you can provide some of Conor's boxing match experience then maybe I would consider. By my knowledge is Conor has no boxing experience.
Lol just because he does MMA doesn't mean he doesn't know how to box.

I get what you're saying, but I think Conor deserves a little more credit than you're giving.
3 days ago
1/1/01
how many of Conor's opponents were known to know how to box. Now that you know that answer did Conor look good in the punching/boxing portions? ummmm, nope.

Conor is not fighting just a pro boxer. He is fighting perhaps the best pro boxer who defended his title countless times against very good and powerful professional boxers AND BEAT THEM ALL. He has only been out for about two years. Conor can hit hard but I cant say he is a good boxer or has defensive boxing skills. Too many Conor fans are just caught up in the hype. I'm not.
3 days ago
1/1/01
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

I get what you're saying, but I think Conor deserves a little more credit than you're giving.

Conor does not deserve any credit of the sort.

Floyd will carry this fight for as long as he feels like, then he will win by TKO.

I hope none of you idiots bet your rent or your mortgage on this fight.
3 days ago
1/1/01
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

Show me any boxing done by Conor. Why not a boxing match between Diaz and Conor. Who do you think would win that?
3 days ago
1/1/01
rushinbear - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

Show me any boxing done by Conor. Why not a boxing match between Diaz and Conor. Who do you think would win that?

If you cant say Conor would destroy Diaz in a pure boxing match then you cant even think he has a change against Floyd. And why didn't/couldn't Conor deck Diaz and how many times did Diaz hit Conor in the face.

Your honor, I rest my case.
3 days ago
1/1/01
3 days ago
2/5/06
rushinbear - 
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 
rushinbear -
Nature Boy Ric Flair - 

This isn't accurate at all

That's like saying a Champion Indy car driver getting into a NASCAR is the same as anyone else getting into a NASCAR.

They are two completely different animals but the Indy driver is going to be incredibly better than someone who's never raced at all....CM Punk is a guy who never raced at all...Conor is a Champion Indy driver.

Punk/Gall and Conor/Floyd is a stupid comparison

It's sounds like that idiotic statement from an article I read that said Conor getting in there with Floyd is the same as if Bobby Fischer got in there with him....it's a really, really stupid statement.

This whole boxing expert bullshit on the OG is way out of hand