UnderGround Forums Lee "annoyed’ Rogan mentioning staph infection

30 days ago
7/23/09

Lee ‘a little annoyed’ at Rogan for mentioning staph infection during UFC 216 broadcast

One of the most talked about issues surrounding UFC 216 was how Kevin Lee was able to fight with a staph infection on his chest. It was only noticed during the actual broadcast when Joe Rogan brought it up, apparently despite disapproval from the UFC.

Lee remains proud of how he handled himself in the fight, while also lauding Tony Fergusonfor his own performance. Which is why he was irked at first when he found out that Rogan mentioned it on air.

“It kind of takes away from it, and it kind of takes away from Tony too,” Lee told Ariel Helwani during Monday’s MMA Hour episode. “I thought Tony did a great job, even with the staph infection.”

“It kind of takes a little bit away from our performance. But look, it’s the truth, and it is what it is. I always like to do that with people, I always like to tell people the way it is, so I can’t really hold it against him. I was a little annoyed at first that he would bring it up, but it’s clear.”

Lee also went on to defend the Nevada Athletic Commission, who had been getting flak for letting him fight despite his condition.

“They got a little bit of backlash for letting me fight, but they were mostly just concerned about the weight,” Lee said. “I think I did a pretty good job of hiding it. I felt like I did a good job of using makeup and trying to hide the best that I could. It wasn’t really their fault. “

30 days ago
7/23/09

Can he get into trouble for not reporting it to NAC?

30 days ago
7/23/09

30 days ago
7/23/09

:38:03 mark of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4X8dHivWXI#action=share

30 days ago
3/23/07

"Can he get into trouble for not reporting it to NAC?"

I hope he can, and does.

30 days ago
7/20/01
right, he was just pissed because he didn't disclose it on the medicals. He should have lied and said "we don't know what it is - it just came up"
30 days ago
7/23/09
30 days ago
4/22/07
branchdavidian - right, he was just pissed because he didn't disclose it on the medicals. He should have lied and said "we don't know what it is - it just came up"
I thought the same thing. Hope he didnt pasd it on to Tony
30 days ago
1/1/01

hide it lmao thats about the most visible ive ever seen      staph

30 days ago
2/24/11
Sagiv Lapkin -

I hope he can, and does.

They all fucking knew it and I bet he was advised not to declare it.
Tony is happy with his belt.
The UFC didn't lose another main event.
We got to watch the fight.
Lee has shown he is to be trusted to show up no matter what and will likely get another shot at the belt in 2018.

Why bitch?
30 days ago
3/23/07
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -

I hope he can, and does.

Lee has shown he is to be trusted to show up no matter what and will likely get another shot at the belt in 2018.

Why bitch?

You're seriously asking why I think he ought to get in trouble for lying on the State Athletic Commission forms and exposing his unwitting opponent to a potentially deadly infection?

30 days ago
3/5/12

Rogan is running out of content at an epic rate, he literally needs these type of controversies to stay somewhat relevant. 

The people I feel sorry for are the ones who bet on Lee not knowing his true medical condition. 

30 days ago
5/3/12
Gucci2x -

Rogan is running out of content at an epic rate, he literally needs these type of controversies to stay somewhat relevant. 

The people I feel sorry for are the ones who bet on Lee not knowing his true medical condition. 

Joe is more "relevant" now, than ever before.
30 days ago
4/19/17
DidNaziHillaryWinningAtAll - I didn't see that card and am not sure if that fight was scheduled at the top of the card or near the bottom, but if it wasn't the last fight he could have exposed the other fighters that came after him.
I'll give you a hint....his name was on the headline for the ppv.
30 days ago
3/21/08
I don't know why people are looking for him to be punished by an authority for moving forward and delivering a great fight and a great show to the fans. You want him punished for what? Don't give these money grabbing piece of shit commissions the chance to take money away from the fighters. They're all too happy to fine him etc. Some of you I don't think understand that fighters sometimes will do whatever it takes to make it to the fight. Half of you guys bitch when guys pull out, then when they don't you want the fighter punished? Stupid as f-ck. Let it die and give the guy a friggin break.
30 days ago
4/12/11
Sagiv Lapkin -
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -

I hope he can, and does.

Why bitch?

You're seriously asking why I think he ought to get in trouble for lying on the State Athletic Commission forms and exposing his unwitting opponent to a potentially deadly infection?

i think hes saying thats not the world we live in. i bet he gets a warning. nothing more.
30 days ago
2/24/11
Sagiv Lapkin -
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -

I hope he can, and does.

Why bitch?

I am saying the UFC and the commission knew about the infection and were happy to let Lee fight because they didn't to cancel another main event.
All of us knew he had staph as soon as we saw him on the screen and now you are telling none of the officials spotted it?
BS
Lee should not be penalised. The commission should fine themselves for letting it happen, deliberately.
30 days ago
3/23/07
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -

I hope he can, and does.

Why bitch?

I am saying the UFC and the commission knew about the infection and were happy to let Lee fight because they didn't to cancel another main event.
All of us knew he had staph as soon as we saw him on the screen and now you are telling none of the officials spotted it?
BS
Lee should not be penalised. The commission should fine themselves for letting it happen, deliberately.

I don't believe that in the slightest. We'll have to agree to disagree.

30 days ago
1/1/01
Sagiv Lapkin -
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -

I hope he can, and does.

Why bitch?

BS

there  is no way the UFC and the UFC doctors didnt know

30 days ago
3/23/07
Winston Wolf - 
Sagiv Lapkin -
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -

I hope he can, and does.

Why bitch?

BS

there  is no way the UFC and the UFC doctors didnt know

You can state that as if it were a fact all day, but that doesn't make it so.

30 days ago
1/1/01
CavRyda - 

Can he get into trouble for not reporting it to NAC?

Given that the penalty for improper disclosure on that is perjury, and it's a Class D felony in Nevada, he can receive 1-4 years in prison.
30 days ago
3/4/12

Serious question.  If Holloway would have spotted the staph infection on Lee at the weigh-ins and pointed it out to officials and made a big deal about it, what could he have done?  Refused to fight him?  Make them check it right there?  What would have been his options?

30 days ago
1/1/01
Lee's not the sharpest pencil in the box.
30 days ago
1/1/01
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -
GrindOnLine - 
Sagiv Lapkin -

I hope he can, and does.

Why bitch?

BS

He shouldn't be penalized for committing a felony?

That's an interesting take.
Edited: 30 days ago
12/14/09

How can he be mad Ray Charles could see he had staph.