UnderGround Forums Leslie Smith suing the UFC

Edited: 28 days ago
5/13/05

She started a gofundme as well for the legal costs.

source:https://www.gofundme.com/leslie-smith-legal-defense

Tweet

23 shares

In early February of this year I launched Project Spearhead. Project Spearhead is an initiative to collect authorization cards from my fellow UFC fighters with the goal of submitting cards from at least 30% of the roster to determine whether we, as fighters are employees entitled to unionize.  I was publicly vocal in my efforts to organize my UFC fighter colleagues in the press, online, through social media channels and in interviews.  I was equally vocal in my efforts to protect fighter rights when I saw perceived mistreatment.  

In the Octagon, I had won 3 out of my last 4 fights and 2 in a row with the loss coming to Cris Cyborg.  I was scheduled to fight the last fight on my UFC contract against another ranked contender at UFC Fight Night 128 on  April 21, 2018 in Atlantic City, New Jersey.  On Friday, April 20, 2018, my opponent missed the contracted weight of 135 pounds.  I attempted to extend my contract with the UFC after my opponent missed weight.  However, the UFC, in perceived retaliation against my legally protected right to unionize, declined to extend my contract.  In addition, the UFC advised me it would pay me, in an unprecedented fashion, my show and win money without fighting so that the remaining fight on my contract would be considered fulfilled.  I was removed from the UFC posted rankings less than 48 hours later.

I have been one of few UFC fighters to publicly speak in favor of a fighter's union.  I also recently launched Project Spearhead, an organization that is currently collecting authorization cards from UFC fighters to file with the National Labor Relations Board.  I was the ninth ranked UFC Women's Bantanweight in the world and had won three of my last four fights, but the UFC's actions resulted in me being removed as a fighter in the UFC.  It is my opinion that I was removed from the UFC in direct retaliation for exercising my rights  to organize a union.  The UFC has now forced me to enforce these rights through legal channels, and I need help funding the legal fees necessary to continue my fight for the right to unionize free from coercion.  I want equitable treatment for all UFC fighters.

I sincerely appreciate each and every donation I may receive, no matter the size, and I consider each one a crucial building block toward equitable fighter rights, terms and conditions of employment in the UFC.

Thank You,

Leslie "The Peacemaker" Smith

28 days ago
8/6/06

For not re signing her? Lol, seriously?

28 days ago
8/22/15

For later

28 days ago
2/6/15

Of course she is , but for what? 

28 days ago
5/13/05
WhereIsGoranReljic -

Of course she is , but for what? 

She feels that she wasn't re-signed and paid her full purse because of her unionization efforts.

28 days ago
10/12/12

Shouldn't have taken the money if she wanted to sue

28 days ago
1/1/01

Good for her. She’s right

28 days ago
11/7/12

Leslie "I'll take the money but sue anyway" Smith

Leslie "Conspiracy" Smith

Leslie "I'm worth 6 figures" Smith

Leslie "UFC is threatened by Project Spearhead" Smith

Leslie "The fans want to see me bang" Smith

Leslie "I refuse to accept I'm just not UFC caliber" Smith

28 days ago
3/4/12
NickDiazsSpinningBackfist -

Shouldn't have taken the money if she wanted to sue

This.  She used the words “perceived” and “in my opinion”.  Well guess what?  That’s just one person’s opinion.  She asked for more money than what she was worth.  Her negotiating skills sucked and the UFC called her bluff.

28 days ago
5/24/03
Elias Cepeda - 

Her contract was fulfilled in full to completion, she wanted more money and was denied. What exactly is she right about?
28 days ago
11/19/06
Elias Cepeda -

If she really wanted a contract extension she should've taken the fight and went out there and try to knock her out and make a statement and made the fans in the UFC want to re-sign her. Instead she opted to take the money and not fight.

28 days ago
11/30/11

Started a gofundme to sue the ufc?

sorry I got bills to pay Leslie 

28 days ago
7/10/11

Who the fook is that guy?

Edited: 28 days ago
12/28/14

I dont blame her.

There was no reason to cut her.

She will never be champ but sje was the first woman in the UFC to sign up for the Cyborg fight. Her next fight might be the most entertaining womans mma match in ufc history.

Shes a better addition to the 135lb division then most of the woman employed by the ufc.

Theres literally no reason she should of been cut outside of the ufc not liking the project spearhead thing.

Also fuck Aspen. She shows up overweight two hours before the final call with less then 2lbs to cut? Theres no reason she couldnt cut that in the time allowed. She didnt even try. If abyone should be cut it should be her.

28 days ago
6/20/11
RicGillespie -
Elias Cepeda - 

Her contract was fulfilled in full to completion, she wanted more money and was denied. What exactly is she right about?

Was she offered anything?

IMO if she was offered anything less than her prior pay she has a case, being on a 2 fight win streak

28 days ago
1/1/15

Guess that's one way to make sure you never work for the market leader again.

Why would other orgs even want the headache?

Well played.

28 days ago
9/12/06

Quite obvious the UFC retaliated for her involvement in a union. Let's not pretend otherwise here. This has nothing to do with anything other than that. 

28 days ago
12/31/10
shaqitup -
RicGillespie -
Elias Cepeda - 

Was she offered anything?

IMO if she was offered anything less than her prior pay she has a case, being on a 2 fight win streak

She is an independent contractor why on Earth independent contractors should be owed contracts forever!?

Second, even in leagues with Unions once your contract is terminated no team is under obligation whatsoever to sign you ever again. 

28 days ago
4/27/06
So many worthwhile charities out there.

This however is not one of them.
28 days ago
8/18/13

Lol, good luck with that Leslie. Gonna bankrupt herself with court fees and ruin any chance of other orgs wanting to pick her up. Smart girl 

28 days ago
5/13/05
The Sultan -

Quite obvious the UFC retaliated for her involvement in a union. Let's not pretend otherwise here. This has nothing to do with anything other than that. 

She requested $100k flat per fight. She also made mention of this months ago. Possibly the UFC knew what she wanted as far as pay and dediced it wasn't worth it.

28 days ago
1/1/01

100K per fight?!  Is she insane?

28 days ago
6/30/07
Dreville79 -

Lol, good luck with that Leslie. Gonna bankrupt herself with court fees and ruin any chance of other orgs wanting to pick her up. Smart girl 

Unfortunately, this.

They will bury her in bullshit unless some labor lawyer is willing to take her on pro bono.

28 days ago
1/30/16
fade2007 -

I dont blame her.

There was no reason to cut her.

She will never be champ but sje was the first woman in the UFC to sign up for the Cyborg fight. Her next fight might be the most entertaining womans mma match in ufc history.

Shes a better addition to the 135lb division then most of the woman employed by the ufc.

Theres literally no reason she should of been cut outside of the ufc not liking the project spearhead thing.

Also fuck Aspen. She shows up overweight two hours before the final call with less then 2lbs to cut? Theres no reason she couldnt cut that in the time allowed. She didnt even try. If abyone should be cut it should be her.

No reason except she absolutely sucks? Sure guy that’s not reason enough

28 days ago
3/23/07

I'd love to know what exactly the basis of her complaint is; what specific legal/contract violations she is alleging occurred on the part of the UFC.

Just not giving her a new contract once the old one was finished isn't sufficient.