UnderGround Forums Manny Pacquiao Vs. Canelo Alvarez? In The Works?

4/23/14 1:42 PM
12/1/11

Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions hasn’t worked on a fight of substance with his former promoter and on-again, off-again rival, Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, in five years.

But De La Hoya, declaring himself “back and better than ever” as the president of Golden Boy, told The Times on Tuesday that he recently engaged Arum in conversation about ending boxing’s cold war that has blocked several attractive fights from happening.

One fight that De La Hoya says he’s interested in pursuing is a super-bout between Arum’s star fighter, Manny Pacquiao, and Golden Boy’s top star, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.

“Anything’s possible,” De La Hoya said. “That’s one of the reasons I was extending the olive branch. The fans want to see these kinds of fights.”

Alvarez is scheduled to fight Cuba’s Erislandy Lara on July 12 in a 154-pound bout at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, but said he wants another fight later this year. Pacquiao said after winning a convincing decision over Timothy Bradley on April 12 at MGM that he wants to fight again in Las Vegas late this year.

Pacquiao, the World Boxing Organization welterweight champion, has previously fought at 154 pounds.

Golden Boy Chief Executive Richard Schaefer has also worked on all of Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s fights since 2007, but as for the idea of a Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. bout, De La Hoya said, “I don’t speak for Mayweather.”

Arum’s strain with Golden Boy has been mostly with Schaefer, with whom De La Hoya was having his own differences after the former world-champion fighter emerged from rehab.

“I’d be happy to talk to Oscar about any subject in boxing he wishes to talk to me about,” Arum said. “All this baloney about a cold war has never really applied to Oscar and myself. We can talk bout any subject in boxing rationally. … We might disagree on a particular point, but we can talk. I hope we’ll get together and have some significant meetings in the near future.”

De La Hoya checked into rehab last September, the week that Alvarez was defeated by Mayweather in the richest fight in boxing history.

“I was dealing with personal issues, but I’m back,” De La Hoya said. “Golden Boy is my baby. Boxing is my passion, boxing is my life. This is what I’ll be focusing on, growing the brand, making the fights people want to see.”

He said that his strain with Schaefer has been ironed out, with Schaefer getting an extended contract until 2018, and that “everything is peaches and cream.”

De La Hoya also made it clear his company philosophy now is that he wants to try to work with Arum.

“If anyone with Golden Boy has any differences with Bob, it’s on them,” De La Hoya said. “I have nothing against Bob and I feel making fights with Bob is beneficial to the fans and the market.”

Arum said he anticipates more talks with the 1992 Olympic gold medalist who became a massive pay-per-view success before losing to Pacquiao in 2008 and retiring.

“I’ve always had a good relationship with Oscar except when other people interfered,” Arum said. “Oscar and I got along famously and I think we will continue to in the future.

“Remember, we had a long and successful, very profitable relationship. It was a very happy time in both of our lives. To revisit that and to renew the relationship is something I look forward to.”

De La Hoya agreed.

“Bob, what he did for my career was amazing and I appreciate it, am so grateful. I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t extend an olive branch, end the cold war and make fights together. I will be making calls in the near future and we’ll make an event together very soon.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-boxing-de-la-hoya-arum-pacquiao-canelo-20140422,0,5057374.story#ixzz2zjTEGsx2

4/23/14 1:46 PM
4/18/14
I'd watch for sure! Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 1:47 PM
4/18/14
Gave you a vote up for bring this to my attention, this fight sounds promising Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 1:49 PM
5/5/10
No way this fight happens. They don't want to see Manny get KTFO again. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 1:51 PM
9/12/10
Damn. I will gladly pay to watch that. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 1:51 PM
11/24/11

canelo wants to fight one more time after the Lara fight in july. pac/canelo in last part of the year would be great. 

4/23/14 1:57 PM
11/26/13
Oscar doesn't get to make those decisions, Schaefer runs things
4/23/14 1:59 PM
12/1/11
This fight could happen in early November or December. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 2:54 PM
12/4/06
I'm down Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 3:09 PM
6/12/12
No way this fight happens Canelo way bigger cuts a good amount to get to 154 manny would basically be fighting natural and boxing politics will be the main reason this fight won't happen. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 3:17 PM
8/28/02
Veryyy interesting but beyond, the weight, and business obstacles, there's slso the fact that canelo has to presumably get past Lara first. Imo that is NOT assured by any means. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 3:46 PM
10/19/13
Yes I'd be very interested in this fight.. I actually think it could turn out like the Margarito fight Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 3:50 PM
2/18/14
Yep britch, it'd go very similar as the Margo fight, Pacquiao is just too fast.

But there is no way GB and TR get back together, no chance of that happening
4/23/14 3:57 PM
6/29/09
This fight would look very similar to the Pac/Cotto fight.

Pacquaio has too much speed for Canelo. Canelo will keep it close in the early rounds, but Pac will pull away late and cruise to a UD.
4/23/14 4:00 PM
6/12/12
MITman2k - Veryyy interesting but beyond, the weight, and business obstacles, there's slso the fact that canelo has to presumably get past Lara first. Imo that is NOT assured by any means. Phone Post 3.0
This people are sleeping on Lara he is a very good boxer and can beat Canelo I'm really interested to see what the line will be. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:01 PM
10/19/13
demonbasketball04 - This fight would look very similar to the Pac/Cotto fight.

Pacquaio has too much speed for Canelo. Canelo will keep it close in the early rounds, but Pac will pull away late and cruise to a UD.
I think the Margarito fight would be more comparable Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:10 PM
10/13/12
If people thought that Boxing was riding the crest of a wave, they haven't seen shit...

The UFC better buck up their ideas FAST or else Boxing is going to SWALLOW it completely.

So many massive fights to be made now... Oh boy!

Manny will whip Canelo and probably stop him.

Where you at Floyd!?!?!?!
4/23/14 4:19 PM
10/19/13
Tilla - If people thought that Boxing was riding the crest of a wave, they haven't seen shit...

The UFC better buck up their ideas FAST or else Boxing is going to SWALLOW it completely.

Two different sports that have different fan bases! Although some crossover I don't see boxing swallowing up MMA that is a ridiculous statement Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:23 PM
1/1/01
That would be an interesting fight. Because Alvarez is so much bigger and he is very well schooled. But Manny is still among the best in the world, I'd give him a decent advantage in that fight if it happened soon. Canelo has so much upside (good looks, appeals to white and Hispanic fans, & he can actually fight), if he's managed right, he'll be a big, big star.
4/23/14 4:23 PM
1/13/10
wont happen, Bob said at 145 pounds on Showtime.
4/23/14 4:27 PM
10/13/12
bricht07 - 
Tilla - If people thought that Boxing was riding the crest of a wave, they haven't seen shit...

Two different sports that have different fan bases! Although some crossover I don't see boxing swallowing up MMA that is a ridiculous statement Phone Post 3.0

1) Fans of combat sports are exactly that. We usually follow them all.

2) There is NOTHING in MMA that can REMOTELY come close to a big world class Boxing event.

STRIKEFORCE gave the UFC a run for their money as few years ago. When GB and TR co-operate, you think people will be tuning in to see Rhonda against some girl that nobody knows? Or will they be tuning in to see Pac/Canelo?

I don't know of a single person that isn't a fan of either sports.
4/23/14 4:27 PM
10/2/12
Don't see Canelo making Welter and Manny won't take it at Junior Middle. Won't happen, IMHO. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:29 PM
10/19/13
Tilla -
bricht07 - 

1) Fans of combat sports are exactly that. We usually follow them all.

2) There is NOTHING in MMA that can REMOTELY come close to a big world class Boxing event.

STRIKEFORCE gave the UFC a run for their money as few years ago. When GB and TR co-operate, you think people will be tuning in to see Rhonda against some girl that nobody knows? Or will they be tuning in to see Pac/Canelo?

I don't know of a single person that isn't a fan of either sports.
I know plenty of hardcore boxing fans who have no idea what MMA is and plenty of MMA fans who hate boxing?

You must live in a hole in the ground dude Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 5:21 PM
1/1/01
Pacquiao should retire before he gets seriously hurt. He got the win against Bradley cause Bradley didn't box and kept throwing home run punches eventually tiring himself out. I love the fighter Pacman used to be but right now he has no business in the ring. Ever since his recent religious "awakening" he has become way too compassionate in the ring and doesn't wanna hurt his opponents. Granted he was going for the kill against JMM before walking into that GOAT counterpunch, he's clearly not the same fighter. If he wants to dedicate himself to the bible, there's nothing wrong with that, but quit the fight game. Boxing is a combat blood sport where you gotta beat the crap outta people. The moment you don't wanna do that no more is the time to walk away. Even I wouldn't be surprised if Freddy Roach decided to leave Pacquiao over this.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/71432348/manny-pacquiao-wants-to-beat-timothy-bradley-but-not-destroy-him

"A few miles from Arum's lavish perch in Beverly Hills, inside the Wild Card Boxing Club on Vine Street and Santa Monica Boulevard, Pacquiao's longtime trainer Freddie Roach is frustrated. Over the last several weeks, Roach has continued to battle with Pacquiao over his new fighting which Roach has labeled "compassionate." More than a decade ago, when Pacquiao wandered into Roach's gym as an unknown fighter looking for a trainer, Pacquiao had the opposite belief system about punishing his opponents. He was too hungry and too aggressive, sparing no one in the ring. He lacked method, defense and science. Over the years, Roach tempered his explosiveness with skill, enhancing his natural talent with technique. Throughout the decade, they've represented the ideal pairing of knockout artist and trainer.

"The Bible stuff," Roach says, is getting between them now. Roach says he pushes Pacquiao to be more vicious, more violent. The fighter refuses, often citing scripture. Roach argues his points. "I told Manny, 'There is payback in the Bible,'" Roach says. "There is revenge in the Bible. There is a lot of death in the Bible. It's not like everyone is f---ing good in the Bible! There's bad out there." Pacquiao was not convinced, Roach says. "He told me, 'There's only bad out there if you look for it, so don't look for it.'"