UnderGround Forums Matt Humes Training Background

5 days ago
9/26/07

Does anyone know where he got his style and skills from? Seems like he produces an excellent mix of wrestling, striking and Submissions but without coming from a strict BJJ or striking background? I also remember reading that his dad used to train with Bruce lee. Any sources for information on this ?

5 days ago
7/13/16

He’s BA brah. That’s all you need to know. 

5 days ago
1/1/01
AMC Pankration is/was his club name/association. Does that mean he has direct lineage to the old Greek styles? No idea....he is frim a Seattle but didn't know about his dad and Bruce Lee, that's fucking cool if true
5 days ago
1/1/01
I wouldn't mind doing an interview with him.
5 days ago
12/25/05
Im not sure if many people know about Haru Shimanishi but he has trained some of the best strikers and he has been around MMA since the beginning and I know for sure that Matt trained with/under Haru Sensei for his striking.
5 days ago
10/9/15

I believe he learned catch from Masakatsu Funaki.

5 days ago
5/26/14
In for more info. Always been impressed and intrigued by Matt Hume. Rogan always speaks so highly of him, I've wanted him to do a JRE episode. No documentaries or much out there on Hume.

Anyone got anything?
5 days ago
9/26/07

I've also been told from people at One fc that he is very good on the mats Grappling wise against some big name fighters. That combined with the Bruce lee thing the lack of an established bjj lineage made me curious about where he got his skills from. 

5 days ago
1/1/01
0hi0direct - In for more info. Always been impressed and intrigued by Matt Hume. Rogan always speaks so highly of him, I've wanted him to do a JRE episode. No documentaries or much out there on Hume.

Anyone got anything?
Love to hear a JRE with him as a guest
5 days ago
9/21/11
There is likely some truth to the Bruce Lee connection. I've been to local fundraisers for the Bruce Lee foundation and Hume has been there with a few fighters to attend.
4 days ago
1/6/10

The most I have learned on Hume is throught Rich Franklin interviews

4 days ago
10/9/15

Wish I could carve out the $200/month to attend AMC.

4 days ago
10/9/15

Found this:

https://plus.google.com/+KevinCorbett/posts/5e9gieNobBM

Apparently Matt knew Jesse Glover a student of Bruce and wrote a brief statement about his passing in 2012.

4 days ago
6/1/08
IS THIS EVEN A REAL THREAD? OR AI BOTS PAYED BY WALT LYSAK?!
4 days ago
6/1/08
THE IMMORTAL studied under THE WIZARD.
4 days ago
1/1/01
Denis Kelly - 

I've also been told from people at One fc that he is very good on the mats Grappling wise against some big name fighters. That combined with the Bruce lee thing the lack of an established bjj lineage made me curious about where he got his skills from. 

Hume's wins over Erik Paulson and Pat Miletich in Extreme fighting were impressive as was him submitting Olympic gold medalist Kenny Monday in under a minute on the Contenders.
Edited: 4 days ago
9/1/04

His dad was a Judo and Boxing guy, with a natural interest in mixing arts because he was a police officer. His dad also trained with Bruce, who also had a love of mixing styles. Matt competed in boxing, wrestling and karate as a youth, and also won the WKA North American Super Featherweight title as an adult.

4 days ago
5/7/04

4 days ago
2/1/08
Wasa-B - AMC Pankration is/was his club name/association. Does that mean he has direct lineage to the old Greek styles? No idea....he is frim a Seattle but didn't know about his dad and Bruce Lee, that's fucking cool if true

Generally speaking, Pankration is just an adopted name.

I don't know of any (major) gym that actually has any kind of direct lineage to, or pedagogy stemming from actual ancient Greek or Roman fighting arts.

It's more of a philosophical moniker than a literal, historical system.

4 days ago
5/16/16

It's 2017! Why do people still think you have to have a BJJ lineage to be able to know anything on the ground. 

4 days ago
1/1/01
In
4 days ago
11/8/09
GladiatorGannon -

His dad was a Judo and Boxing guy, with a natural interest in mixing arts because he was a police officer. His dad also trained with Bruce, who also had a love of mixing styles. Matt competed in boxing, wrestling and karate as a youth, and also won the WKA North American Super Featherweight title as an adult.

Thanks.
4 days ago
2/15/03
ttt
4 days ago
10/9/15

Gotch>Fujiwara>Funaki>Hume

4 days ago
9/9/14
MrBlonde - Im not sure if many people know about Haru Shimanishi but he has trained some of the best strikers and he has been around MMA since the beginning and I know for sure that Matt trained with/under Haru Sensei for his striking.

I know about Haru and HMC...

makes me wonder who you are.

Aaron Riley told me hes the best striking coach hes ever seen.

Riley has been around so if he says that its probably true.