UnderGround Forums Meltzer: Rousey vs Carano for July 4th weekend

3/2/14 12:27 PM
9/7/04
Commission should not approve it at this point.
3/2/14 12:48 PM
4/11/07
1 - This fight makes zero sense for multiple reasons.

2 - Gina can't make 135

3 - If RR fights Gina at catch weight, it names her look weak

4 - If the fight were to ever happen, I can only hope that once the bell rings, RR & Gina run at each other throwing years of training out the window and turn this into an old school cat fight where tits are a definite possibility. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 12:55 PM
9/20/13
Dumbest thread ever.
Gina is NOT coming back.
Ronda would run through her .

It will be announced that Cyborg and Marina Shafir will be signed to the UFC Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:04 PM
6/1/10
If this happened and was marketed like crazy with all mainstream press behind it. Throw in a return of Nick Diaz vs lawler 2. It would break a million PPVs. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:05 PM
6/1/10
It may seem ridiculous and freak show fight. It would also sell like crazy. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:09 PM
6/1/10
Add in that carano is out of the fast and the furious 7 and Rousey is in. Perfect for some manufactured drama lol Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:15 PM
6/1/10
Cyborg fight needs build up. She can't fight in invicta and then just come in and fight for the belt. She should come in fight one fight talk past her opponent tell Ronda this is what I'm going to do to you. Eviscerate her opponent and then let the ZUFFA marketing machine take over. At this point she has been out of the casual viewers eyes for years. If in any way possible I'd say for a end of the year fight date. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:18 PM
5/26/06
nobones - 
BigSleep -
nobones - Proof Rousey ducking Cyborg because Gina can't make 135 lbs. for anything. Phone Post 3.0

Yep, this dubious report that will probably never happen is proof.
If they are even considering it then it is proof when Cyborg been ready. Phone Post 3.0

lol, no. You need to read up on the history of Cyborg and the UFC.
3/2/14 1:21 PM
6/1/10
Then if Ronda beats Gina you have the whole drama of cyborg calling her a coward and saying I beat her easily. MMA math kicks in and people are YouTube Ing the shit out of cyborgs fights. Then you get casuals involved saying Ronda is ducking.

It becomes the PAC vs mayweather of WMMA. Where random non hardcore fans are absorbed into the conversation. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:27 PM
7/28/08
Gina isn't roided out 145. If you subtract the weight of her massive boobies, she's probably closer to 138.
3/2/14 1:32 PM
1/1/01
This is a dream match in my opinion. I guarantee that this would be huge on ppv. Maybe the biggest UFC main event ever.

Gina has a size advantage over Rousey, but Rousey has better technique, and Rousey is a current fighter while Gina has not fought in years, so I give the edge to Rousey.
3/2/14 1:33 PM
1/1/01
This fight is not likely to happen. The UFC would have to offer Gina Carano some major cash for her to even consider it.
3/2/14 1:43 PM
1/1/10
No way this is serious. UFC cannot be struggling so badly for RR opponents they need to entice a 4yr retired Overweight Gina! Talk about PR to help Gina new movie..... Probably just a tactic to piss off Chris cyborg, all this 140/145lb stuff. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:46 PM
9/10/13
Lick Boners - Cool if true, although RIP Gina
This Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:37 PM
12/27/10
Meltzer was discussing this as an idea, never once did he say this was happening. The title is a bit misleading. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:42 PM
4/29/12
Kinda a joke if true, UFC really bringing the side show these days.
3/2/14 2:44 PM
9/5/11
EBD75 - Meltzer was discussing this as an idea, never once did he say this was happening. The title is a bit misleading. Phone Post 3.0
You'd think the UG Blog account posted it... Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:49 PM
10/24/11

No thanks, I wouldnt be against Gina coming back and getting a fight first.  Yes it would be a big fight but not competitive at all.

I could see them talking to Gina about coming back and fighting someone like Davis and then getting a title shot but I just cant see them throwing Gina in vs Ronda after years away from teh sport even if they are desperate for big fights.

3/2/14 2:50 PM
4/29/12
EBD75 - Meltzer was discussing this as an idea, never once did he say this was happening. The title is a bit misleading. Phone Post 3.0

Yea...this is the kinda news they write when reporters begin to focus on the amount of traffic a story will bring. Kinda like talking about a CM Punk crossing over to MMA, or Brock Lesnar coming back, or Anderson Silva possibly returning at the end of 2014.
3/2/14 2:59 PM
5/28/07

LMAO!  This will never happen in a million years.

Also, nice new account, Zuffa.

3/2/14 3:21 PM
11/24/11

have Gina fight cyborg in a rematch for #1 contender... nah even that is way too much

Edited: 3/2/14 3:22 PM
8/27/09
People really think Gina Carano is this big movie star who can't be lured back to the fight game. She's starring in a Danny Trejo movie, my dudes. Money talks.
3/2/14 4:55 PM
6/5/11
The weigh ins would be bigger then the fight Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 6:05 PM
7/16/12
nobones -

A lot has been made out of Ronda Rousey’s decision to move to 135lbs since she announced that she was making the move back in November of 2011.

While most people see Rousey’s decision to move to 135lbs as her idea, MMA reporter Dave Meltzer has said a couple times on his radio show that it was the promoters in Strikeforce who first came to her with the idea of a move down to 135lbs to begin with.

Rousey actually announced PRIOR to her fight with Julia Budd that she planned to move down to 135lbs:

Source: http://www.mmaweekly.com/ronda-rousey-out-to-make-a-statement

“I’m planning on, win or lose, dropping down and win the 135-pound belt first before I go after the 145-pound title,” said Rousey. “I definitely want to win both belts and be the undisputed best woman fighter in the world in MMA."

“A fight with Cris Cyborg would be the most important of my career, and I want to treat it like the Olympic Games and be entirely peaked when that time comes. The 145-pound division doesn’t really have that many women signed in Strikeforce, so I’d be better off moving down and going for the 135 title. And once me and Cyborg finally fight it would be two titleholders against each other and the fight itself would even be a bigger deal."

Something she again repeated at the post-fight press conference following her win over Julia Budd.

And again, she was on the MMA Hour a few days later talking about this whole situation and what her goal was:

Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/11/21/ronda-rousey-on-miesha-tate-i-dont-think-shes-better-than-me

"I'm not dumb, you're not dumb," she said. "Really, if we push the 'hot chicks' to fight each other for a title, it's going to get a lot of attention. That's why I'd rather fight Miesha for a title instead of Sarah Kaufman. Because she's good looking and she's marketable. More marketable than the vast majority of the girls in women's MMA. I think that'd be a huge fight and it would lead to an eventual fight between me and Cris Cyborg being an even bigger deal. I'm just trying to figure out the right way to do things so us girl fighters have some job security a few years from now."

Look at the words Ronda uses there, she talks about how little many top fighters there are at 145lbs and wanting to have job security. And her move to 135lbs ended up being critical in getting WMMA into the UFC because it brought the UFC's attention to the fact that the 135lb division was thriving and could be merged into the company.

Cris Cyborg also said that the promoters approached her about a drop to 135lbs, and this was prior to her fight with Yamanaka in December of 2011 and the drug test failure that followed.

Source: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/2011-11-22/cyborg-santos-strikeforce-asked-me-about-135/570884/1

"Strikeforce's 145-pound champion says the promotion wants to know whether she could move down a weight class.

"They're thinking about one division only," Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos told Tatame.com. "They asked me if I could do it. I can try. It's not impossible."

“It’s not impossible”; those are interesting words from someone who would later claim that the drop in weight was pretty much impossible. Of course these claims of not being able to make the weight cut would be after Cris Cyborg’s positive drug test failure following her win over Yamanaka, which would be turned into a no contest because of the drug test failure.

As a result of her drug test failure, it basically accelerated the plans of the promoters regarding the 145lb division. The champion had been stripped of her title and suspended for a year, rendering the already struggling division obsolete and it was dropped by the promotion.

That article also pointed the same fact at the time, about the weakness of the 145lb division:

"The 145-pound division has such a small pool of talent that two fighters, Ronda Rousey and Julia Budd, needed only three fights to make the top 10 in the Unified Women's MMA Rankings."

With the division being dropped and Cyborg stripped of her title, a unification match was no longer in the cards.

Following that, the assumption, even with the promoter is that when Cyborg came back it would be for a fight with Rousey at 135lbs.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/scott-coker-says-cyborg-vs-rousey-135-happen-173700400--mma.html

"Scott Coker thinks a match between Rousey and Cyborg is "...inevitable. I think that fight will happen at some point...That conversation will happen once she's back and ready to fight. Her and Ronda at 135? That might be the highest rated show on Showtime for the year or the past fights we've done...Women's fights always rate well on Showtime...Ronda's always delivered. That armbar is unbelievable. She proved with Miesha, she's proven with the other girls--she can fight a wrestler, she can fight a striker. Fighting Cyborg? That's a whole 'nother level. I think that Sean is trying to put that fight together."

Cyborg even made a tweet that suggested as much:

Source: http://www.middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8054:when-cris-cyborg-comes-comes-back-it-will-be-at-135-pounds&catid=34:organizations

But all of a sudden, as the Kaufman fight got closer, Cyborg now says it is impossible for her to make 135lbs.

Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/16/3247102/ronda-rousey-blasts-cris-cyborg-stop-doping-and-meet-me-at-135

"Cris Cyborg wants to fight Ronda Rousey. The Brazilian said so much on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, but the desire comes with a catch. Cyborg has never fought lower than 145 pounds, and she says it would be impossible to meet Rousey at 135 pounds, the division that Rousey currently reigns over."

Of cource Ronda let her have it for that:

"If she wants to fight me than she is going to have to find a way to come down to 135," she said. "We'll see how she does in a fair fight for once in her life. She has a history of coming in overweight to fights and I wouldn't doubt that if we agreed to some sort of catchweight at 140, she’d show up at 145 anyway and be like 'ah whatever, fight or not.' She’s done this many times before. I don't owe her anything. She's completely defamed, and anything she’s ever done is nothing because she is a big old cheater and she's been doping her whole life. And I think part of the reason why people like Dana [White] think there is a lack of depth in all these divisions is because this girl is doping and making everybody look like they aren't in her league. And I think the reason why people look at women's MMA like that was because of her. She is nothing but a detriment to the sport and the only positive she could play is an Ivan Drago bad guy that gets beat to hell by a Rocky. So no, she can come down and fight me at 135 because I have a whole line of other people that want to fight me already and I don’t owe her anything.

"I don't need to come up and it’s just like, why would I even want to come up to her weight?" she continued. "Stop doping, lose the weight. She can either do the drugs and fight me at 135 and have the drugs be just as much a detriment as a help to her during the weight cut, or she can cut out all the doping and make the weight easily."

And Cyborg was offered the fight against Rousey again at UFC 157, but Cyborg and her team were the ones who turned it down.

Source: http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/9/4316786/ufc-157-ronda-rousey-vs-cris-cyborg-fight-scratched-money-weight-cut-mma

3/2/14 6:34 PM
10/30/06
Gina forgot that she needs MMA to have a movie career. If she truly wanted a movie career she needs to fight twice a year to remain interesting to Hollywood. Now had she been nominated for an Academy Award after the Haywire movie or was a major contributor to Fast and the Furious success different story. Movies are a business and to a producer Gina could remain able to put asses in the seats if she was still actively part of MMA and not a memory. She was once an MMA fighter who no longer has any name recognition with the casual fan.