UnderGround Forums Michael Bisping makes case against superfights

14 days ago
1/1/01

Jorge Masvidal fought Nate Diaz for a made up belt, wrapped around the winner's waist by pro wrestling icon The Rock. Conor McGregor has taken aim at the lightweight and welterweight belts. Israel Adesanya is trying to trash talk his way up to fight Jon Jones, who in turn is teasing a move up to challenge for the heavyweight belt.

On a recent Believe You Me podcast, former UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping is not impressed.

“I’m sick of all this talk of superfights, if I’m honest,” said Bisping, as transcribed by Tom Taylor for BJPenn.com. “I want to see the champions defending the belts. All of this jumping around… I think last year and the year before, it all got a little silly.”

“Going forward, I feel like the UFC aren’t going to be too quick to make those superfights anymore. Cause whilst they do capture the imagination of the public, [the UFC is] just stripping Henry Cejudo of the 125 [pound belt]. It’s going to be Joseph Benavidez taking on [Deiveson] Figueiredo for the vacant flyweight title. That’s what they’ve got to do. The only real double-champ that’s left now is Amanda Nunes, and even her, she’s having trouble finding challenges at 145. I feel the only reason she hasn’t been stripped yet is there isn’t anyone at ’45 to take her place.”

14 days ago
2/6/15

Coming from the guy who avoided contenders to fight a returning and middleweight debuting GSP . Michael Bisping is the man but is he forgetting that ?

14 days ago
11/20/08

He is not wrong at all, but yes he fought retired GSP who moved up in weight, it's about the money and he did that himself, so a bit hypocritical 

14 days ago
2/25/15
Super fights are fine, but it should be done when one of the champs exhausted the possible matchups in his weight class. I think Jones talking about a super fight makes sense. But Israel has a single title defense and still plenty of worthy contenders. Pretty early to be talking about a super fight.
14 days ago
9/19/13

He still mad a retired GSP took his belt.

14 days ago
10/3/16
WhereIsGoranReljic -

Coming from the guy who avoided contenders to fight a returning and middleweight debuting GSP . Michael Bisping is the man but is he forgetting that ?

He also lost the second fight against Henderson but I guess in the UK being British that's all that matters to win (see: Silva, Hamill decisions as well)

14 days ago
2/24/11
WhereIsGoranReljic -

Lies. He accepted the fight with Whitaker, Whitaker gor injured. 

14 days ago
5/15/15
MarcusAurelioFan -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

He also lost the second fight against Henderson but I guess in the UK being British that's all that matters to win (see: Silva, Hamill decisions as well)

Brits don't lose decision's in the UK, same with Brazilian Fighters.

14 days ago
6/30/09
Chael_McD -
MarcusAurelioFan -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

This. Bisping vs Anderson Silva cost me a loooott of money.

14 days ago
7/8/09

I like the Count but he's a hypocrite. Perhaps the GSP defeat has left a bad taste in his mouth

14 days ago
8/20/15
MarcusAurelioFan -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

Lol he didnt lose that fight. He got hit with hard shots but clearly out struck Dan.

Edited: 14 days ago
8/20/15
Chael_McD -
MarcusAurelioFan -
WhereIsGoranReljic -

Plenty of Brazilias have lost decisions in Brazil

Aldo vs Volkanoski being recent

14 days ago
9/5/02

Might not agree with Bisping but I always respect his views on the workings of the UFC.

14 days ago
7/7/17
floofy - Super fights are fine, but it should be done when one of the champs exhausted the possible matchups in his weight class. I think Jones talking about a super fight makes sense. But Israel has a single title defense and still plenty of worthy contenders. Pretty early to be talking about a super fight.

Israel has no title defenses. That said, I think he's just using Jones to market himself. He knows he'd get killed in that fight. 

13 days ago
7/24/16
WhereIsGoranReljic -

Yeah, it is a bit hypocritical.

13 days ago
1/3/20
WhereIsGoranReljic -

lol so true! 

13 days ago
1/1/01
floofy - Super fights are fine, but it should be done when one of the champs exhausted the possible matchups in his weight class. I think Jones talking about a super fight makes sense. But Israel has a single title defense and still plenty of worthy contenders. Pretty early to be talking about a super fight.

At the minimum, yes.

I also don't like the idea of being a second champion when you got a gift-title shot as opposed to working your way through the ranks of any particular division.

But that's the fight game for you. Money trumps meritocracy.