UnderGround Forums Mike Winkeljohn on kicks to the knee

28 days ago
2/28/06
Wink: "I definitely have my fighters throw a front kick to the knee. I see it as a very legit technique and not nearly as dangerous as punching or kicking someone in the head. I believe it is starting to add a new dynamic to the game because fighters have to worry about their base being taken out of their attacks even more than before. I also would rather have dinner in twenty years with a fighter who limps into the restaurant than with the fighter who can't remember his own name, because he never stopped his opponent's striking advances. The knee joint is very strong if people know how to defend that kick properly."
28 days ago
12/9/13

Silva and jones mastered this techic

28 days ago
2/24/07
People only get mad when Jones does it. Condit, Anderson, Cowboy, Vera, and many others use it, but UGers only whine when it’s him. Great technique that hasn’t caused any major injuries
28 days ago
5/11/10

I like it as a technique. Was taught it right at the start and always used it. It's very rarely dangerous. 

28 days ago
8/11/13
FrontBroRian - People only get mad when Jones does it. Condit, Anderson, Cowboy, Vera, and many others use it, but UGers only whine when it’s him. Great technique that hasn’t caused any major injuries

Not really, the reason it’s come back into the spotlight is because Romero’s knee kicks kept Whitaker out for a year and he came back and used them against Romero.

28 days ago
2/24/07
tapestry - 
FrontBroRian - People only get mad when Jones does it. Condit, Anderson, Cowboy, Vera, and many others use it, but UGers only whine when it’s him. Great technique that hasn’t caused any major injuries

Not really, the reason it’s come back into the spotlight is because Romero’s knee kicks kept Whitaker out for a year and he came back and used them against Romero.

You mean the knee that was injured going into the fight?

“In the interview, Whittaker also revealed that he suffered a "strain" on the same knee four weeks out from UFC 213, but thought he would be in good enough condition to compete on it.”
28 days ago
11/18/10

Its a BS technique and fighters know damn well that fighting is determential to your brain. To they not throw head strikes at their gym during sparring?  You could permantley disable someone with that kick.

28 days ago
2/24/07
Ganjah Luv - 

Its a BS technique and fighters know damn well that fighting is determential to your brain. To they not throw head strikes at their gym during sparring?  You could permantley disable someone with that kick.

The technique has been used for decades. Tell us about all these permanently disabled fighters
28 days ago
11/18/10

George Mcmaken for one. Had knee repcement last year.

28 days ago
2/24/07
Ganjah Luv - 

George Mcmaken for one. Had knee repcement last year.

Link to story that kick caused this detrimental career ending injury?
28 days ago
1/1/01

Seems odd that you can hit someone as hard as you want to vital organs such as the brain or heart but a kick to the knee has people concerned.  

28 days ago
6/15/18
stevekt -

Seems odd that you can hit someone as hard as you want to vital organs such as the brain or heart but a kick to the knee has people concerned.  

Kick to the knee is easier to land 

28 days ago
4/11/14

I just can't follow the logic of anyone who likes mma but opposes this particular move.

28 days ago
4/22/07

I think its back in the news because of Wonderboy,  not so much Whittaker

28 days ago
11/29/11

Dirty technique. 

28 days ago
7/27/04

Awesome technique!!!!

28 days ago
8/20/03

Sexy technique!

Edited: 28 days ago
6/18/16

I got no problem with it, as long as he doesn't kick someone to hard!!! Because that would hurt..

28 days ago
2/12/17
Its a dirty technique that can take a fighter out of the game for months, years, or forever possibly.

Absolutely hate that shit.
28 days ago
2/24/07
RenzoStudent2004 - Its a dirty technique that can take a fighter out of the game for months, years, or forever possibly.

Absolutely hate that shit.

Ya all those fighters that have been permanently disabled, that you guys can’t seem to list.
28 days ago
1/9/18

I'm sure it's a horrible technique to be on the end of. But then again, so is getting hit in the head and getting a haemorrhage. Both can put you out for an extremely long time. Simple solution - make them miss. 

It's the same as every other technique. People need to wise up and stop it. That's it. 

28 days ago
11/9/17

It's far worse than knees to the head of a grounded opponent. remove it!

28 days ago
3/17/14

This is a stupid concept. Ban knee bars and leg locks!!

28 days ago
2/17/03
Wink is right.
28 days ago
10/18/11

This is a great video for MANY reasons.  Not only is it Herb Deans worst stoppage ever, it was a perfect example of how dangerous that oblique kick is.  At this time (only in California) knee strikes were ILLEGAL and fighters were not aloud to wear knee braces or wraps due to the fact of "No strikes to the knee".   There is also a video out there of Greg Jackson interviewed after this fight (Amagovs trainer) and he was totally pleading ignorance about the rule in California. In fact, there was a 20 page thread on this fight after it happened, people posted the exact rule from the book and all.