UnderGround Forums Minimum rules changes to give Conor a real chance

9 days ago
7/12/15

I never expected it to work out as anything but a pure boxing match for obvious reasons but when talk of Conor and Floyd fighting first started I'd hoped they'd agree to some hybrid rules to make it truly compelling. 

At what point in rule changes would Conor have an advantage? 

What hybrid rule set would be the most equal? 

9 days ago
7/12/15

I think the most equal would be boxing w/ knees and elbows and 8 oz. gloves.

Conor would start to have an advantage as soon as kicks are allowed below the waist. 

9 days ago
4/1/13
Allow trips
9 days ago
4/12/11
Floyd ties his right hand behind his back.
9 days ago
4/1/09

Unless Floyd needs that rematch money Conor is going to be swinging at butterflies

9 days ago
11/22/11

Allow clinch fighting to go on, minimal change to at least give the slightest chance. Anything else really and it'd be even more of a joke. 

9 days ago
2/16/04
They are not interested in putting on anything close to a fair fight. It's a simple money grab. Nothing more.
9 days ago
10/4/03
kicks
9 days ago
7/27/15
Floyd has to do weighted push-ups between rounds, and Conor gets Gatorade in his corner
9 days ago
2/20/07

At the very least kicks above the waist. This would at least give Conor the ability to make Floyd think twice before darting in. It would still favor Floyd IMO as kicks can be blocked and slipped as easily as punches and Floyd is the master of blocking and slipping punches. But would give Conor a tool that Floyd is unfamiliar with.

9 days ago
3/16/15

Make it a kickboxing fight. That's how, and that would have been fair. But Floyd is not into fair, and Conor is into money, so a pure boxing match it is.

9 days ago
1/1/01
One Championship Fan - 

Make it a kickboxing fight. That's how, and that would have been fair. But Floyd is not into fair, and Conor is into money, so a pure boxing match it is.

American kickboxing (no low kicks)?
9 days ago
11/20/10

Let him kick and he should be able to give Floyd serious problems

9 days ago
7/12/15
scourge - They are not interested in putting on anything close to a fair fight. It's a simple money grab. Nothing more.
No shit?
9 days ago
7/12/15
Anek -
One Championship Fan - 

American kickboxing (no low kicks)?
Yeah that's interesting to me. I feel like the low kicks would be the biggest problem for Floyd.
9 days ago
10/12/13
Each fighter is required to drink a pint between each round.
9 days ago
1/1/01
Arlovskis Chin - Allow trips
Yes, the old time boxing rules that allowed wrestling with takedowns rom the waist up.
9 days ago
7/12/15
jscorbett -
Yes, the old time boxing rules that allowed wrestling with takedowns rom the waist up.

I had no idea that was a thing. Did it just score points or were you allowed to keep hitting once down on the ground? 

9 days ago
8/24/11

Replace Floyd with an unranked amature. 

9 days ago
8/14/12

Kick boxing rules mcgregor would have murdered him. Getting kicked takes years to adapt to 

9 days ago
7/12/15
Vikingknee -

Kick boxing rules mcgregor would have murdered him. Getting kicked takes years to adapt to 

I think if leg kicks weren't allowed Floyd would be able to mitigate the damage enough to last until Conor gassed.
9 days ago
8/30/16
blas4ublasphemy - Each fighter is required to drink a pint between each round.

Now we're talking

9 days ago
7/29/02
Let Conor bring a gun to the ring.
9 days ago
6/27/02
StankieEdgar - 
jscorbett -

I had no idea that was a thing. Did it just score points or were you allowed to keep hitting once down on the ground? 

IIRC, in the first set of official boxing rules, you could strike with any part of of your body, and you could grapple above the waist. You could not strike a downed fighter, and he was considered down if anything other than the soles of his feet touched the ground. Rounds were not timed, but when a fighter was down, the round ended, and he had 30 seconds to get back to his feet at a predetermined spot, or "scratch", (hence the expression "up to scratch"). So yes, you could throw a man, but you were not allowed to hit him while he was down.
Edited: 9 days ago
4/12/05
MMA gloves w/ Floyd's brittle hands = maybe... Ah, man, Conor's not got a chance... But I'm glad for the fight- who in the world loses? Who does it hurt?