UnderGround Forums Ngannou Punch hardeTop 10 HW Boxer?

Edited: 24 days ago
8/20/08

Where would you say Ngannou punching power ranks in the top 10 ranked boxers ? Sorry can't edit the title.

24 days ago
10/14/02
maybe yes or maybe no

probably yes but would he able to ko guys like that with bigger gloves?
5/17/17

Shavers, Lyle, Foreman, Tyson,Tua and Wilder all have to be on the list. So he’d have to fit in the other 4.

9/19/13

To current ranked HW boxers? I imagine he's #1. There's no one other than Wilder who is physically gifted like Ngannou. Ngannou has a lot of weight on Wilder though.

24 days ago
1/10/13

In a boxing match with gloves I'd bet Joshua and even Andy Ruiz hit ATLEAST as hard as Francis. Francis is knocking out guys in MMA with little gloves. Francis is possibly stronger than AJ and probably stronger than Ruiz, but AJ and Andy have much better technique allowing them to get more impact out of their punches. Francis has raw strength and power but lacks the technique to get the most out of his power. I tend to disagree with those who think Francis would be better suited to try his luck at boxing professionally. He'd beat pleanty of guys because of his raw strength, but lacking true boxing skills would get him badly exposed at a certain level.  I think even with no wrestling, he is better suited for MMA over boxing.

24 days ago
9/19/13
boxing wiz -

In a boxing match with gloves I'd bet Joshua and even Andy Ruiz hit ATLEAST as hard as Francis. Francis is knocking out guys in MMA with little gloves. Francis is possibly stronger than AJ and probably stronger than Ruiz, but AJ and Andy have much better technique allowing them to get more impact out of their punches. Francis has raw strength and power but lacks the technique to get the most out of his power. I tend to disagree with those who think Francis would be better suited to try his luck at boxing professionally. He'd beat pleanty of guys because of his raw strength, but lacking true boxing skills would get him badly exposed at a certain level.  I think even with no wrestling, he is better suited for MMA over boxing.

OP isn't asking about who throws better technique. This is strictly a discussion of who can hit the punching machine harder.

24 days ago
8/19/03

If all other factors like technique and tactics are removed and its simply a matter of who hits hard as fuck, he very well might, and probably does.

He's a big, athletic dude with the height to create leverage.   Probably at least as physically gifted, if not more, than most pro HW's I've seen these days.

24 days ago
1/10/13
oranos -
boxing wiz -

OP isn't asking about who throws better technique. This is strictly a discussion of who can hit the punching machine harder.

Ok, I think guys like AJ (who is a athletic monster himself) and Ruiz could punch harder. Due to their much better technique, they are able to generate more power than the more physically gifted Francis.

24 days ago
3/5/11

Lol those big gloves make a difference. Boxers are on a whole different level 

Edited: 20 days ago
1/6/20

Favorite boxer Vitaliy Klitschko https://themefam.com/celebrity/boxers/  and brother Wladimir Klitschko

20 days ago
11/10/18

Anyone who thinks he hits as hard as Wilder is seriously crazy. He couldn’t KO Stipe with mma gloves and he hit him flush several times. When Wilder hits you you’re dead.

20 days ago
3/31/14
Eskimo -

Anyone who thinks he hits as hard as Wilder is seriously crazy. He couldn’t KO Stipe with mma gloves and he hit him flush several times. When Wilder hits you you’re dead.

This

20 days ago
3/9/12
Eskimo -

Correct

20 days ago
3/5/11
Eskimo -

Though I agree, and Wilder power look terrifying, it's not really proven at the top level, he fought mostly guys that have been KOd badly and more quickly before, only Ortiz and Fury are any kind of names, and Ortiz is a hype job that's never beaten a top name, and Fury has not beaten a top 10 fighter since Wlad. 

20 days ago
2/25/15
I think if you ONLY look at punching power (let's say you just hit a punching bag), he probably is #1. Weight and Height matters a lot.

But Something very important with KO power, is timing and precision. Having power is one thing, being able to land it flush is another. Boxers obviously do better than him for that.
20 days ago
2/25/15
DarthBader - 

Lmao, Ngannou would get slept really easy against a guy like Wilder, he just doesn't have that same power.

If you honestly think Ngannou packs more power than Wilder you haven't seen Wilder fight, watch his last KO of Ortiz, one of the most destructive KO's I've ever seen and that's with bigger gloves.

If Ngannou lands flush with his full power i think the opponent might die lol. But its obvious Wilder is a far better boxer and would sleep Ngannou easily, regardless who has the most power.
20 days ago
11/8/08

A lot of people don't understand the biobiomechan of punching and developing the kinetic chain over time. Boxers who have been training for years develop a level of punching power that newcomers just don't have. Ngannou is big, strong and hits hard, but a heavyweight who has been boxing since they were a teen is on a whole different level. I could be wrong though because there are freak athletes who defy the norm, but he's only been training for a few years. It would be interesting to see him box full time because there is still a lot of potential he could fulfill. 

20 days ago
2/25/15
Just elaborate a bit more, current world record of punching power IS held by Ngannou: https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/vault/mma/new-world-record-for-the-hardest-punch-ufcs-francis-ngannou

Previous one was by Tyrone Spong, who was clocked in at a very respectable 114,000 units. Ngannou did 129, 161 units.

So if Wilder can punch harder, he is shy to demonstrate it.
19 days ago
11/10/18
Bofbro -
Eskimo -

Though I agree, and Wilder power look terrifying, it's not really proven at the top level, he fought mostly guys that have been KOd badly and more quickly before, only Ortiz and Fury are any kind of names, and Ortiz is a hype job that's never beaten a top name, and Fury has not beaten a top 10 fighter since Wlad. 

Lol ok. 

19 days ago
11/20/10

Hes definitely a big puncher by any standards. But I dont think theres any real compelling evidence to suggest he hits harder than Wilder, Joshua or Dubois just out of the current HW boxing crop. 

19 days ago
1/12/05

He has scary power, even with those arm punches he throws. I'm not willing to say that it would transfer to boxing with the bigger gloves and guys used to boxing. 

McGregor knocks dudes stupid in MMA, but it didn't translate to boxing. He hit Floyd with a counter uppercut and Floyd didn't even react. Paulie said that he didn't hit that hard becasue he didn't know how to throw a proper punch. I think Francis would be in the same boat. 

If Francis came up as a boxer, he probably would be a top 5 HW banger, but he didn't and doesn't have the mechanics to go along with his strength. 

AJ is just as big and strong and Wilder generates insane power. 

19 days ago
1/16/12

Wilder is naturally powerful but to say he has technique is a joke. He just has ridiculous power in his punches & uses that mainly to win 

Edited: 19 days ago
3/5/11
Eskimo -
Bofbro -
Eskimo -

Lol ok. 

Prove it wrong, name one guy aside from Fury, Ortiz that has not be finished elsewhere on Wilder resume

19 days ago
4/20/08
JoeHurley -

A lot of people don't understand the biobiomechan of punching and developing the kinetic chain over time. Boxers who have been training for years develop a level of punching power that newcomers just don't have. Ngannou is big, strong and hits hard, but a heavyweight who has been boxing since they were a teen is on a whole different level. I could be wrong though because there are freak athletes who defy the norm, but he's only been training for a few years. It would be interesting to see him box full time because there is still a lot of potential he could fulfill. 

Yep, that Paulie Malignaggi is a wrecking machine of punching power

19 days ago
2/7/09
Acidic -

Wilder is naturally powerful but to say he has technique is a joke. He just has ridiculous power in his punches & uses that mainly to win 

Nobody has said wilder, who did not grow up boxing btw, is a great technical boxer, he has clearly gotten to this point because of his power.

And its impossible to get accurate assessment of "power" as pointed out there are several factors, timing speed accuracy etc. 

But I would think the guy killing 41 out of 42 people with boxing gloves and minimal skill probably hits harder than the guy who has minimal skill and struggled to land ko punches with 4oz gloves.