http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica

http://www.headinjury.com/faqpcs.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/post-concussion-syndrome/DS01020

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-concussion_syndrome

7/12/09 10:59 PM
8/11/07
Dementia Pugilistica with clinical features of Alzheimer's disease

ABSTRACT

A 61-year-old ex-boxer presented with a three-year history of progressive memory decline. During a seven-year follow-up period, there was a continuous cognitive decline, very similar to that usually observed in Alzheimer's disease. Parkinsonian, pyramidal or cerebellar signs were conspicuously absent. Neuropathological examination revealed the typical features of dementia pugilistica: cavum septi pellucidi with multiple fenestrations, numerous neurofibrillary tangles in the cerebral isocortex and hippocampus (and rare senile plaques). Immunohistochemistry disclosed a high number of tau protein deposits and scarce beta-amyloid staining. This case shows that dementia pugilistica may present with clinical features practically undistinguishable from Alzheimer's disease.

Key words: dementia, dementia pugilistica, punch drunk, Alzheimer's disease, chronic traumatic encephalopathy, parkinsonian/motor signs, neuropathology.

More here...

7/12/09 11:02 PM
8/11/07

Various brain sections showing tau protein by WBUR.
F.decorate(_ge('photo_notes'), F._photo_notes).notes_go_go_go(2984426766, 'http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2984426766_80d6ba123f_t.jpg', '3.1444');
The Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy study focuses on unusual concentrations of Tau protein, shown here as brown spots. The more brown spots, the greater the brain damage.

From Left to Right:

1) A normal brain of a 65 year old
2) The brain of former NFL linebacker, John Grimsley (who suffered 8 concussions and died at age 45)
3) The brain of a 73 year old boxer who suffered from an extreme form of dementia pugilistica

7/12/09 11:03 PM
8/11/07
olivercromwell - Allo Crooky darlin :)

Cheers

Hi Oliver!  Thanks for the bump=)
7/12/09 11:05 PM
8/11/07

Is there a link between concussions and dementia?

by Jacob Silverman

Is there a link between concussions and dementia?

Chris Benoit wins the Triple Threat World Title Match.
Kevin Mazur/WireImage/Getty Images
Chris Benoit wins the Triple Threat World Title Match.

In June 2007, Chris Benoit, a 40-year-old professional wrestler, killed his son, his wife and then himself. It's easy to be baffled by such a tragedy, but in the case of Benoit, his brain contained clues as to what could push a person toward such violent behavior. Doctors from the Sports Legacy Institute, which is dedicated to the study of brain injuries in athletes, examined Benoit's brain. Their tests showed that it was riddled with the clumps, tangles and dead cells characteristic of Alzheimer's disease.

Chris Benoit isn't a unique case. Dr. Julian Bailes, who examined Benoit's brain, described observing a pattern of behavior in other ex-athletes who, after retiring from sports, experienced severe personal and business problems, eventually followed by depression and suicide [source: ABC News].

So how did a 40-year-old man have a brain comparable to that of an 85-year-old man with severe Alzheimer's?

More here...

7/12/09 11:07 PM
4/8/08
Awesome threads today Crook!

Voted up!
7/12/09 11:07 PM
3/18/05
I hate seeing this kind of stuff. Scaryy.
7/12/09 11:09 PM
8/11/07
ACE won DEAL with it - Awesome threads today Crook!

Voted up!

Thanks Tom.  I was just curious, after seeing all the threads about Bisping never being the same after the KO he received, as to what some of the possible outcomes for that are.  These are just a few of my findings.
7/12/09 11:11 PM
8/11/07
Daniel Plainview -  Getting into neurology, Crooklyn?

My field has always been peds, and respiratory illness, but this stuff is very interesting.  The article on Chris Benoit is mind blowing.  The cross section photo I posted is pretty wild, too.
7/12/09 11:12 PM
8/11/07
WhatIsMMA - What class is this book report for?

Hahahaha!  No class.  Just interested in possible scenarios after a heavy duty KO injury.   It's amazing to see the kind of punishment athletes take, and still keep going.
7/12/09 11:13 PM
4/8/08
Crooklyn - 

Voted up!

Thanks Tom.  I was just curious, after seeing all the threads about Bisping never being the same after the KO he received, as to what some of the possible outcomes for that are.  These are just a few of my findings.

So essentially you're staying that all 4 sides of Bispings brain are like chopped roast at the moment?
7/12/09 11:14 PM
8/11/07
JKennedy - The problem is that this is all conjecture. You can't get ethical approval for a study of this kind and there are good examples on both sides of the argument.

Well, we happen to have a neurologist on this very thread.  Daniel Plainview, is an MD, and his specialty is neurology.  He also teaches at a university.  He would be the one to direct any queries/suggestions to.
7/12/09 11:15 PM
8/11/07
ACE won DEAL with it - 
Crooklyn - 

Voted up!

So essentially you're staying that all 4 sides of Bispings brain are like chopped roast at the moment?
*smothers smile*

7/12/09 11:16 PM
4/8/08
Crooklyn - 
ACE won DEAL with it - 
Crooklyn - 

Voted up!

*smothers smile*

I'm sure his jaw hurts like a motherfucker too.

Ouch.  I wonder if it makes it harder to blow kisses to his fans?
7/12/09 11:17 PM
8/11/07
ACE won DEAL with it - 
Crooklyn - 
ACE won DEAL with it - 
Crooklyn - 

Voted up!

*smothers smile*

You better watch out.  The lynch mob from across the pond is just looking for a scrap!
7/12/09 11:20 PM
4/23/08
 Mike Bisping suffered a serious brain rattling last night. That was eerily similar to Tank Abbott's ko of John Matua when Matua went into convulsions.

This is a very dangerous sport, I was concerned that Bisping was seriously hurt last night.
7/12/09 11:21 PM
8/11/07
JKennedy - 
Crooklyn - 
JKennedy - The problem is that this is all conjecture. You can't get ethical approval for a study of this kind and there are good examples on both sides of the argument.

Well, we happen to have a neurologist on this very thread.  Daniel Plainview, is an MD, and his specialty is neurology.  He also teaches at a university.  He would be the one to direct any queries/suggestions to.

Fair enough, Daniel what say you on this?

How do we know that the brain damage doesn't precede the decision to get into sports like this and not the sport that leads to the damage?

Jonathan

PS - Since we're on the UG shouldn't we be whining about something to do with the most recent card? I mean I love threads with references and sources but it just seems so out of place on the front page.
LOL!  This has everything to do with the recent card.  I wanted to see possible damage to Bisping's brain after that KO.

7/12/09 11:21 PM
4/8/08
Crooklyn - 
ACE won DEAL with it - 
Crooklyn - 
ACE won DEAL with it - 
Crooklyn - 

Voted up!

*smothers smile*

You better watch out.  The lynch mob from across the pond is just looking for a scrap!

If they take a punch like their Poster Boy (which I am sure they all do) then I think I'll be ok.

lol @ Bisping thinking he would knock out Henderson.

Bisping couldn't bust a grape with a sledgehammer.

Bisping couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag with scissors in his hands.
7/12/09 11:23 PM
8/11/07
ACE won DEAL with it - 
You're on thin ice buddy!
7/12/09 11:27 PM
1/1/01
TTT
7/12/09 11:28 PM
4/8/08
It's ok, I can swim.
7/12/09 11:33 PM
8/11/07

People who suffered from Dementia Pugilistica?

• Jack Dempsey
  • Joe Louis
  • Beau Jack
  • Boxer Muhammad Ali
  • Wilfredo Benitez
  • Emile Griffith
  • Willie Pep
  • Freddie Roach
  • Sugar Ray Robinson
http://www.depression-guide.com/dementia-pugilistica.htm 
7/13/09 12:52 AM
1/1/01