UnderGround Forums Robert Whittaker v Luke Rockhold UFC 221:

9 days ago
1/21/17

ROBERT Whittaker appears likely to face Luke Rockhold, not UFC middleweight champion and MMA legend Georges St-Pierre, at UFC 221 in Perth.

Respected MMA journalist Ariel Helwani reported on Thursday that preliminary talks were underway which would see Whittaker, the interim middleweight champion, face Rockhold on February 11.

That comes despite UFC president Dana White’s proclamation that he would be “super pissed” if GSP did not face Whittaker in a unification bout at the company’s debut event in Western Australia.

Helwani reported that it was unclear as to whether Whittaker v Rockhold would be for the interim or official championship.

However GSP told Canadian sports network TSN that he is unsure whether he will fight in the middleweight division ever again due to health concerns.

“We’ll talk about it, but I’m not sure if I compete I will go back at 185. I don’t think so,” St-Pierre said.

GSP is suffering from colitis, an illness that may be tied to the changes he made to move up a weight class.

“Of course, in terms of weight, if I want to go back to compete at 185, I will — obviously eating, like I did what I did, I learned from my mistakes, I don’t think it’s a good thing to do, force myself to eat to gain muscle mass.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/ufc/robert-whittaker-v-luke-rockhold-ufc-221-no-georges-stpierre-set-in-perth-main-event-per-report/news-story/cc22adf3403ab61439e03d2553596de3

9 days ago
1/21/17

GSP’s contract for UFC 217, signed after a four-year hiatus, dictated that he would have to defend the title (if he won it from Michael Bisping) against Whittaker.

Earlier this week, Luke Rockhold called Whittaker “the real champ” and said he was “ready to fight him”.

Rockhold is a former middleweight champion having won the belt at UFC 194 against Chris Weidman and then lost it in his next fight, at UFC 199 against Bisping.

In his most recent fight at UFC Fight Night Pittsburgh in September, Rockhold defeated David Branch.

Whittaker has won his last eight fights, most recently defeating Yoel Romero by decision to claim the interim middleweight belt.

9 days ago
1/1/01

Love this fight.  

9 days ago
1/21/17

Luke is a dangerous man.

9 days ago
1/1/01
Great fight. Whittaker has cleaned out the division of all its top grapplers (Jacare, Romero). Rockhold is last of the "great" strikers with a strong ground-game to boot.
9 days ago
8/6/13
Liyon - Great fight. Whittaker has cleaned out the division of all its top grapplers (Jacare, Romero). Rockhold is last of the "great" strikers with a strong ground-game to boot.

He is a good striker but not a great one. Great strikers have excellent defence too and Luke doesn't. 

This is an awesome fight if it happens. I think Luke has more ways to win but I'll favour Whittaker to find that chin and get a stoppage in round 3

9 days ago
7/19/10

Bullshit to not have a title fight.

9 days ago
1/1/01
209'd@170 - 
Liyon - Great fight. Whittaker has cleaned out the division of all its top grapplers (Jacare, Romero). Rockhold is last of the "great" strikers with a strong ground-game to boot.

He is a good striker but not a great one. Great strikers have excellent defence too and Luke doesn't. 

This is an awesome fight if it happens. I think Luke has more ways to win but I'll favour Whittaker to find that chin and get a stoppage in round 3

If Whittaker wins, he'll have basically cleaned out the division.
9 days ago
8/17/08

Weidman

9 days ago
1/1/01
Go Bobby go! Go away GSP!
9 days ago
8/6/13
MMALOGIC -

Weidman

Are you saying that Weidman could get the shot instead of Luke or that Weidman will still need to be cleaned out?

9 days ago
10/6/14
Bobby knuckles picks luke apart on the feet
9 days ago
9/22/11
Tough fight for bk...luke is huge.
9 days ago
8/6/13
Liyon -
209'd@170 - 

If Whittaker wins, he'll have basically cleaned out the division.

Pretty exceptional if he does that. 

2 years ago he was hardly a blip on the radar of a division full of absolute studs. 

In 2.5 years he has beaten Tavares, Hall, Brunson, Jacare and Romero. 

If he adds Luke and Kelvin or Chris to that list by the middle of nest year then that would have to be one of the quickest clean outs of a divisions ttop 5 ever

9 days ago
3/6/05
Whittiker ko's a back peddling luke in rd 1
9 days ago
8/6/13
BringBackGoldy - Tough fight for bk...luke is huge.

Luke is a very tough fight for anyone but BK has dealt with a better wrestler (Romero) and better BJJ player (Jacare) than Luke is. 

I think BK is also a better, faster striker with more power than Luke. 

Luke is a threat because he mixes everything together better than BKs other opponents though and that's what makes this a great fight. 

Im still going with BK

9 days ago
7/22/05

Yes please!

9 days ago
1/1/01
They need to strip GSP and recognize Whittaker as the undisputed champion.
9 days ago
12/29/10
If whittaker wins this he is no doubt the undisputed champion of the division and the best middleweight since prime anderson silva.
9 days ago
8/17/08
209'd@170 -
MMALOGIC -

Weidman

Are you saying that Weidman could get the shot instead of Luke or that Weidman will still need to be cleaned out?

Weidman

9 days ago
3/5/12

I've missed Lukes interviews and press conferences, only ambien can put me to sleep faster.

9 days ago
8/6/13
MMALOGIC -
209'd@170 -
MMALOGIC -

Weidman

Weidman

It seems I didn't consider the third option; are you just being a dick?

9 days ago
1/1/01
MMALOGIC -
209'd@170 -
MMALOGIC -

Weidman

Weidman

Weidman shouldn't be anywhere near the a title shot. He needs to 2 big wins to be even considered.

Stop this interim belt crap Whittaker is the real champ at this point.
9 days ago
4/19/17
209'd@170 -
MMALOGIC -
209'd@170 -
MMALOGIC -

Weidman

Weidman

It seems I didn't consider the third option; are you just being a dick?

Weidman
9 days ago
7/27/07

It's too bad UFC wouldn't give Mousasi his bread. He would likely beat Whitaker. And be a great fight with Luke.