UnderGround Forums Rockholds strategy was to...!!

2/11/18 1:31 PM
9/27/15
Luke came out throwing a variety of leg kicks and some punches..none of it was having much effect on Yoel ..when Yoel final exploded with punches he hurt Luke but Luke clinched up and got away..you would think this would have made Luke try to clinch Romero and taje him down but he didn't..instead Luke just kept up with the same strikes that were either blocked or landed but did no damage..he did have a little success with that nice triple pump jab but that was it..

I believe Yoel exploded on Luke 3 times with the last time being the end for Rockhold..so I have to wonder what the hell was Luke's strategy here? Was he trying to gas Romero out somehow? That wasn't working as Romero knows how to pace himself..Luke's main strength, his grappling and bjj didn't even come into play here..

What was Luke thinking and how is it that his striking defense hasn't improved? For a guy that chinny you would think he would improve defense or just th to bring the fight to the ground..
2/11/18 2:26 PM
12/22/12

I've been seeing a lot of people commenting saying "why doesn't he just use his bjj"? or "Why doesn't he just bring the fight to the ground"? 

I'm gonna give a different perspective. Think about who he's fighting. He's fighting one of if not the most decorated and explosive pure wrestlers in mma, more accomplished than his olympic wrestling training partner who he hasn't been training with.

Plus when has Rockhold ever really shot for a takedown? Can someone tell me a fight so i can go watch it. Weidman he body locked off the spinning back kick, and then in the 4th rnd he took took him down with a bodylock again off the cage but Weidman was pretty much finished before that. David branch he took down with the body lock after Branch initiated the clinch with him.

Machida he tripped up and machida fell to the ground. Bisping the first fight got rocked with a head kick. Tim Boetsch shot in on him and got inverted triangled. 

Maybe Rockhold knows how exhausting clinching and working for takedowns are and doesn't want to be completely gassed in a 5 round fight if he doesn't get the TD and maybe he's not confident going for takedowns against one of the best wrestlers.. Just my opinion.

2/11/18 2:31 PM
5/13/05

I can't remember the last time Rockhold ever shot a blast double or single. If he initiated a clinch with Romero to go for a bodylock he probably would've been thrown out of the cage. He was probably hoping to catch Romero with a strike on the feet that would knock him down and then get top position from there.

2/11/18 2:34 PM
9/26/12

I thought Rockhold was doing great up until that ko. He was picking him apart with those jabs, and didnt really get touched other than those two flurries. Looked like he was on his way to a unanimous decision victory until Romero uncorked that bomb.

2/11/18 2:39 PM
1/8/15

How many more leg kicks do you think Yoel could take? 

2/11/18 2:41 PM
1/26/08
Brock Lobster -

I thought Rockhold was doing great up until that ko. He was picking him apart with those jabs, and didnt really get touched other than those two flurries. Looked like he was on his way to a unanimous decision victory until Romero uncorked that bomb.

It was 1-1 going into the third and Romero wasn't even close to being gassed. 

2/11/18 2:43 PM
1/1/01

Pretty sure Rockholds game plan was to attack from the outside, keeping the fight at kicking distance. At that distance he could see the blitzes coming and get out of range. He wanted to use low calf kicks to limit Romero's mobility and slowly pick him apart.

That all went out the window when Romero checked a few of the kicks and hurt Rockhold' s leg. Rockhold adjusted to use punches instead, which meant he had to change distance, putting him in range of Romero's blitzes. 

Rockhold doesn't do well at close range, he never has. His solution in the past was to clinch and get the takedown but he wasn't going to take down Romero. He may be better on the ground but Romero is the better wrestler.  

Rockhold s issue was he didn't have a plan B when plan A didn't work. 

2/11/18 2:47 PM
9/26/12
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
Brock Lobster -

I won’t disagree on the score, but I think Romero was going to go downhill from there. Plus with how his leg was after the fight you can’t argue that those last three rounds would have been hell. 

2/11/18 2:52 PM
7/22/05

leg kicks?

2/11/18 2:55 PM
1/1/01
Brock Lobster -
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
Brock Lobster -

I won’t disagree on the score, but I think Romero was going to go downhill from there. Plus with how his leg was after the fight you can’t argue that those last three rounds would have been hell. 

Disagree. Romero was pacing himself and without any grappling, there wasn't anything to gas him. Rockhold was throwing lots of punches but they were almost all blocked or parried. Plus, with Rockhold standing at punching range, it was only a matter of time before he got caught. 

2/11/18 2:58 PM
3/20/12
shoot on him and eat knee of death

clinch with him and you are trying to take down a guy that does what he wants with the best in the world

He hoped to gas yoel and did a bit, but Yoel is just too fucking good and game

All credit to Yoel

Hating on Luke is for butthurt or those who lost money
2/11/18 3:03 PM
2/17/03
JOESONDO - 

Pretty sure Rockholds game plan was to attack from the outside, keeping the fight at kicking distance. At that distance he could see the blitzes coming and get out of range. He wanted to use low calf kicks to limit Romero's mobility and slowly pick him apart.

That all went out the window when Romero checked a few of the kicks and hurt Rockhold' s leg. Rockhold adjusted to use punches instead, which meant he had to change distance, putting him in range of Romero's blitzes. 

Rockhold doesn't do well at close range, he never has. His solution in the past was to clinch and get the takedown but he wasn't going to take down Romero. He may be better on the ground but Romero is the better wrestler.  

Rockhold s issue was he didn't have a plan B when plan A didn't work. 

This. Rockhold's wrestling isn't great. And Yoel is an extremely dangerous man to wrestle with. His go-behinds are incredible and his flying knees are deadly.
2/11/18 3:08 PM
12/2/07

You had me at “Yoel exploded on Luke 3 times”. 

2/11/18 3:22 PM
10/11/15

i always thought luke and his height advantage would be a bad match up for yoel but after seeing the fight i dont know why i thought that, it was actually a bad matchup for luke cuz he doesnt have good boxing to use that height advantage and pick him apart from the outside.

if his gameplan was to gas yoel out it would never have worked, yoel coulda went forever the way luke was fighting. he wasnt pressuring, he wasnt clinching or wrestling or holding him on the fence.

i think his gameplan was to pick him apart from the outside with leg kicks, a jab and try to win by hard kicks to the body/leg/head. but yoel checked those first few hard leg kicks and i think that hurt both of them. his jab was kind of working but not really doing much cuz he couldnt stop yoels darting in with heavy strikes and thats when i knew luke couldnt win. he had no defensive boxing or head movement like, say a stipe, instead he just ran and got the fuck outta the way. 

clinching against the fence and trying to work a trip or something and hold yoel down would have been a sound strategy to gas him out but i dont think luke wanted to risk the dirty boxing and explosiveness having yoel that close to him to throw hard shots. 

so for his gameplan to work he would have needed to have better boxing. like gsp esque jab and stipe like defensive boxing/ head movement/ striking off back foot. 

his kicks can only get him so far. i dont think henri hooft is the best fit for him and would be better off with a mark henry or jason perillo type of trainer that focuses a lot on the boxing. yoel capitalized off literally the same thing as bisping in luke dropping his right hand.

but with all that said, im glad he hasnt progressed cuz hes such a douchey prick and his ego is prolly what holds him back cuz he thinks hes the best.

2/11/18 3:58 PM
5/17/13
Brock Lobster -

I had it 1-1

2/11/18 4:03 PM
11/28/03

keep yoel outta his range with kicks

2/11/18 4:07 PM
1/16/12
TakinAllFades -

i always thought luke and his height advantage would be a bad match up for yoel but after seeing the fight i dont know why i thought that, it was actually a bad matchup for luke cuz he doesnt have good boxing to use that height advantage and pick him apart from the outside.

if his gameplan was to gas yoel out it would never have worked, yoel coulda went forever the way luke was fighting. he wasnt pressuring, he wasnt clinching or wrestling or holding him on the fence.

i think his gameplan was to pick him apart from the outside with leg kicks, a jab and try to win by hard kicks to the body/leg/head. but yoel checked those first few hard leg kicks and i think that hurt both of them. his jab was kind of working but not really doing much cuz he couldnt stop yoels darting in with heavy strikes and thats when i knew luke couldnt win. he had no defensive boxing or head movement like, say a stipe, instead he just ran and got the fuck outta the way. 

clinching against the fence and trying to work a trip or something and hold yoel down would have been a sound strategy to gas him out but i dont think luke wanted to risk the dirty boxing and explosiveness having yoel that close to him to throw hard shots. 

so for his gameplan to work he would have needed to have better boxing. like gsp esque jab and stipe like defensive boxing/ head movement/ striking off back foot. 

his kicks can only get him so far. i dont think henri hooft is the best fit for him and would be better off with a mark henry or jason perillo type of trainer that focuses a lot on the boxing. yoel capitalized off literally the same thing as bisping in luke dropping his right hand.

but with all that said, im glad he hasnt progressed cuz hes such a douchey prick and his ego is prolly what holds him back cuz he thinks hes the best.

Honestly didn't read it all but i really agree with him working on his hands. They're not a level and neither is his defensive striking IQ all the time. 

He might be to tall & skinny for the division infact

2/11/18 5:04 PM
12/7/14

I'm thinking he was probably banking on Yoel fading in the later rounds, and along with the cumulative effect of the leg kicks, he could get it to the ground in the 4th or 5th and go to work. He probably didn't have much of a 'plan b' once Yoel proved to be largely prepared for the leg kicks.

2/11/18 6:28 PM
8/20/03
Saltine American - 

this

2/11/18 6:43 PM
11/21/10

Instead of circling out of the Yoel explosion Rockhold repeatedly went straight back and got pinned to the cage.. he's lucky to survive the 2nd round explosion. I think he was sitting on his check hook waiting for an opening all fight and when he finally thought he found 1 he caught one on the temple and that was a wrap. That Luke seemed nothing like the Luke of old though. I don't know if he's lost all confidence or that knee injury ruined his game but he was super hesitant and failed to pull the trigger multiple times. 

2/11/18 6:45 PM
11/21/10
CaptainNemo -
Saltine American - 

this

I actually felt like Luke went away from the leg kicks in the 2nd and got a few good ones in the 3rd but wasn't focusing on them like he was early on. He fought a really strange fight.

2/11/18 8:05 PM
7/10/02
Was I the only one surprised at the total lack of grappling in that bout? I mean, not only no takedown attempts, but there were no clinch work, no "dirty boxing" against the cage, etc.

I'm sure Yoel's wrestling skills played a huge part in Rockhold's strategy, but as fans we didn't get to see these skills on display. It was a very so-so fight until the sudden end and the weird post-fight love thing ha ha.