UnderGround Forums Rogan wants Jones vs. Reyes rematch

Edited: 2/24/20 11:13 AM
1/1/01

On a recent Fight Companion, UFC commentator Joe Rogan said he wants to see an immediate rematch between UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones and #1 contender (and #15 P4P fighter) Dominick Cruz.

“I’m excited to see that rematch,” said Rogan, as transcribed by Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting. “I think Dominick Reyes will be even better in the rematch. I think Dominick Reyes realizes now that it’s all about having the energy in that third, fourth, and fifth round, and having now been to the top of the mountain and faced the dragon, I think he’s gonna come back better than ever.”

“I want to see what Reyes can do, too. Reyes has got that rub now. Reyes is gonna come into that second fight knowing he came a c*** hair away from being the light heavyweight champion of the world. One judge gave it to Jon four rounds to one which is f***ing embarrassingly bad but other than that ..."

Although Jones is 32, and Reyes 30, Jones has more mileage - he has been fighting for twelve years, and Reyes just six. In his last two fights, Jones squeaked by Reyes and Thiago Santos. However, Rogan wonders if the apparent decline in Bones' performance is because we are not seeing a Motivated Jon Jones.

“You’ve got to wonder how much of that slowing down is his enthusiasm, how much of it is physical,” said Rogan. “Maybe if a big fight comes up like a Stipe Miocic fight, or Francis [Ngannou]. . . He had a couple of years off because of all his troubles outside of the octagon. Two years where he really wasn’t fighting. But other than that, he’s had nine solid years against world-championship caliber fighters.”

Next up for Jones is Jan Blachowicz, who is not likely to motivate Jones more than Reyes and Santos did.

2/24/20 11:50 AM
1/1/01

Jones looked like he hadn't even been in a fight a week later at the Blachowicz vs Anderson bout.

2/24/20 11:59 AM
10/30/14

It does seem like Jon used to have more fun in there. What happened to all the spinning shit and flying knees he used to do? I understand fighters can become more conservative when they have a lot to lose but his fighting seems very uninspired lately. 

2/24/20 12:00 PM
1/1/12

He's discounting the fact that Jones came back in rematches and demolished guys that had been close previously. 

2/24/20 12:03 PM
6/28/10
Floppy Divac -

Jones looked like he hadn't even been in a fight a week later at the Blachowicz vs Anderson bout.

What's up Joe Soliz? How you been?

2/24/20 12:30 PM
1/1/01
BrckNoHitBk -
Floppy Divac -

Who da fook is that guy?

2/24/20 12:52 PM
5/11/04
No...Zzzz
2/24/20 1:02 PM
1/1/01

I like Reyes and think he should get another shot but don't think it should be an immediate rematch.  Jan worked hard to earn a shot and should be next.  

2/24/20 1:05 PM
9/14/19

I'm a amazing how the UFC commentator is so well respected for fighting and matchmaking 

lmao 

2/24/20 1:12 PM
1/11/11

Jones vs Cruz 2! Can’t wait to see it. Hopefully they release footage of the first fight!

2/24/20 1:19 PM
1/30/16
Floppy Divac -
BrckNoHitBk -
Floppy Divac -

Who da fook is that guy?

Apparently because you said Jones looked unscathed a week later that means you’re the judge that gave jones 4 rounds

In all retarded stretches of all time this one is stretched beyond retarded stretching

2/24/20 3:19 PM
12/6/11
OG 12er -

He's discounting the fact that Jones came back in rematches and demolished guys that had been close previously. 

Of course he has, with the help of Picograms. 

2/24/20 5:29 PM
1/1/12
HoldingTuasBalls -
OG 12er -

Of course he has, with the help of Picograms. 

Yeah and entirely not because he fixes his game 

2/24/20 5:32 PM
11/1/03

I think its obvious shy Jones hasn't looked dominate in his last few fights. The level of competition has gotten better and he's fighting guys closer to the same size.

2/24/20 6:27 PM
1/1/01
danybayamon23 -
Floppy Divac -
BrckNoHitBk -
Floppy Divac -

Who da fook is that guy?

Apparently because you said Jones looked unscathed a week later that means you’re the judge that gave jones 4 rounds

In all retarded stretches of all time this one is stretched beyond retarded stretching

Aaaah, thanks. Still haven't seen the fight. I was watching the Jan win and after all the facetime Jones got I was like, "Wait, didn't he just fight last weekend?" I'm not of the belief that visibility of physical damage determines who wins a fight by any means. I was just completely shocked at how clean he looked after going 5 competitive rounds (by most accounts) with a guy who hits hard as hell.

2/24/20 8:10 PM
9/13/18

Jones had close matches in his last two. The fight with Smith, he tried some fancy shit, but Smith never really engaged. Santos and Reyes were both know for their power, Jones respected that aspect and fought safe and smart. 

2/24/20 8:17 PM
10/9/10
BrckNoHitBk -
Floppy Divac -

Lol. 

2/24/20 8:18 PM
2/10/20

Jonny Bones is Ronda 2.0

The gap between super dominant champ & contenders has closed and keeps closing.

When he loses, people will act surprised, but they shouldn't.