UnderGround Forums Rose Namajunas on death and fighting

11 days ago
1/1/01

Rose Namajunas lost the strawweight belt 14 months ago, and considered retiring. Then she reconsidered. Then COVID-19.

"Thug Rose" was scheduled to rematch Jessica Andrade at UFC 249 in April; "Bate Estaca" had lost her title to Zhang Weili in August of 2019. COVID-19 forced the rematch to reschedule to May 19, and then Namajunas lost two family members within a seven-day period to the novel coronavirus, and withdrew.

"They came down with it. They got put on ventilators and shortly, in a few days, it just happened like that. Passed away," explained Namajunas to Ariel Helwani for ESPN. "As a fighter ... we deal with the worst, we face death in the face all the time ... or just serious injuries and things like that. So, for the whole world to get shut down for a virus at first seemed like, 'What is this?' We didn't even know it was real. And then it hit home, and it was close to family. It scared me. It shook me up a little bit."

"Everybody deals with death differently. For me, it just wasn't a great idea [to fight]. In a way, it has been a reset for me. It puts things into perspective. Before I was just trying to control everything around me and trying to make all these situations perfect and then everything just fell apart."

"It just was a wake-up call for me. I can't control anything but myself, and that's what's the most important. Even though it was very tragic, I learned a lot from it. That's all we can do. Keep praying and know this life is temporary. Everything is temporary, not everyone is the same, but what helps me is believing in my higher power and knowing that I have a purpose, and [fighting] is my purpose right now. It's not going to be my purpose forever, but this is what I'm doing right now, and I got to make the most of it and enjoy it."

Now Namajunas, just turned 28, rematches Andrade at UFC 251 on July 11 at Fight Island, Abu Dhabi, UAE.

"There's always things to gripe and complain about, but this is what I love to do, man," said Namajunas. "I'm a martial artist. I'm just pretty much hitting my prime right now, and it seems like everything, all of a sudden, is coming together.

"I don't know why, but ever since I turned 26, I think I just dealt with ... becoming an adult was kind of difficult. Losing my title and all of that sad s***, all of that ungratefulness and bitterness, I just went through a lot of different stages, and I just kind grew to understand some things. Everything is temporary, so you just kind of have to live in the moment and enjoy yourself as much as possible."

"I don't miss the way that I felt as a champion, but I do miss having that belt, though. When you get up and it's your turn to dance but you ain't ready, you ain't got your moves right, everybody is looking at you -- that's kind of what it felt like. You feel like everyone is staring at you. That's kind of like how it felt."

"This has been one of my more fun training camps. It's kind of weird. The amount of days that I didn't look forward to training has been very seldom, so that is something I am very happy about."

11 days ago
2/19/18

she looks way better when she's not trying to look like a dyke

10 days ago
7/28/02

I think its more of an economical haircut, she doesnt have to worry about people stepping on her hair when wrestling or something.  not everything is about sex

10 days ago
2/28/14

This is the perfect example of a fighter with all the ability in the world, but a mental case. That kind of emotional fragility will wreck fighters. That's why you kind of have to love Jon Jones. The guy is a complete narcissist and sociopath. And that's why he kicks everyone's ass for 10 years straight.

10 days ago
8/26/11
Gennady Goblin -

This is the perfect example of a fighter with all the ability in the world, but a mental case. That kind of emotional fragility will wreck fighters. That's why you kind of have to love Jon Jones. The guy is a complete narcissist and sociopath. And that's why he kicks everyone's ass for 10 years straight.

That's why she'll never be champ right? 

10 days ago
2/9/09
Gennady Goblin -

Good point. Ive heard fighting is like 80% mental 

10 days ago
4/12/05
Rose has had a lot on her plate since forever, it seems. Always rooting for her to do well and be happy.
10 days ago
9/20/19

How old was she when Pat Barry, you know?  

10 days ago
12/16/00
blackhundred - Rose has had a lot on her plate since forever, it seems. Always rooting for her to do well and be happy.

This

Nothing but respect for Thug Rose
10 days ago
7/8/06

Excited to see Rose compete again.

10 days ago
9/20/19
blackhundred - Rose has had a lot on her plate since forever, it seems. Always rooting for her to do well and be happy.

Everybody has a lot on their plate, not everyone gives a detailed account of its contents in every single interview. 

10 days ago
12/3/05
livelaughlove -

Dude, She's not Arianny, she could give dick 1 what you think about her.  And she's beautiful.

10 days ago
12/3/05
Gennady Goblin -

No, not at all the same cases. Like Jon isn't a mental case?  lol.  His genes and physicalcality is what brings him over, he's rarely been pressed, and when he has he limped out like a bitch.

10 days ago
4/22/20
banging - 
Gennady Goblin -

No, not at all the same cases. Like Jon isn't a mental case?  lol.  His genes and physicalcality is what brings him over, he's rarely been pressed, and when he has he limped out like a bitch.

I don't like Jon Jones but inside the cage he is a mental beast. He has heart and toughness for days, and that's beyond being one of the highest fight IQ guys. He has a great physique for fighting but he is not the most physical light heavyweight nor is he the most athletic. Others are stronger, quicker. Obviously he is talented but don't discount his heart.
10 days ago
8/15/11
Colby Covid19ington -
banging - 
Gennady Goblin -

I don't like Jon Jones but inside the cage he is a mental beast. He has heart and toughness for days, and that's beyond being one of the highest fight IQ guys. He has a great physique for fighting but he is not the most physical light heavyweight nor is he the most athletic. Others are stronger, quicker. Obviously he is talented but don't discount his heart.

Jones is definitely a phenomenal fighter but his fight iq is not high at all. 

Otherwise he wouldn't be doing moves that could've disqualified him two fights ago or fight in a manner that arguably means 2 decision losses. 

I think mentally he can't bring himself to raise his game for the smaller names. Which isn't mental strength. 

9 days ago
1/26/08
banging -
livelaughlove -

Dude, She's not Arianny, she could give dick 1 what you think about her.  And she's beautiful.

Exactly, I still think shes hot, far more to a girl then hair. I've dated girls all over the spectrum on looks and girl I was closest to was somone who I would say is so far from my type its not even funny. She was/is a partner at a large law firm and we had an insanely good connection becuase she kept me on my toes when it came to conversations which is refreshing after dating model types who were not the smartest of girls. Dating one that made 10x what avg american made so she didn't date me for my money and to be able to have that deep connection meant a lot more than her looks to me. Not that she was bad looking but not the perfect 10 girl that everyone here on the UG is clearly banging every night based on comments here.

8 days ago
12/21/13

I said it before and I'll say it again. Grow your damn hair back!